Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Firstly this isn't a knee jerk thread or just based of yesterday at all. But since he's signed it's been a flaw in his game which he hasn't quite solved. I think he's one of the most technically gifted players in the world, with one of the best first touches and passing ability anywhere but how can someone so technically gifted and talented go to pieces in front of goal?
It just seems odd, he's so confident on the ball and will pull off some stunning passes but often does a brilliant Darius Vassell impression when he gets half a chance, often he can't sort his feet out quick enough or he struggles to get any power on his shots.

Many have said aswell that the only thing stopping him becoming one of the very best out there and being up there with Messi and Ronaldo is his lack of goals. I know people will say it's not his job to score and he contributes elsewhere on the pitch but imo he plays too far forward not to get more goals, games like yesterday were the types of games where we need him to step up and provide more of a goal threat, but as others said, when their defender kicked the ball straight to him just outside the area, he should have been looking to drive forward and get a shot away, he instead whacked a crap ball at Negredo.
Is it a confidence issue with him?

It really isn't meant to be a thread to get on his back, but if he does become a consistent goal threat he will be right up there with anyone.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Silva's (lack of) shooting ability

Postby AG7 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Agree with all of the above ... he just doesn't see himself as a goal scorer for the team, or no one has made him responsible at the club as yet, as even when he is inside the 6 yards, he is looking for some sexy pass through to someone else ... thins whole walking into the goal is all his philosophy and he looks happier taking assists than goals to his name ... yup, if starts finishing up and adds goals to his repertoire, he'll be the one talked about as Hazard these days is ... right behind Messi and Tranny.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Call me Judas but this season, in a head to head with Hazard, for me there is one winner.

He doesn't play for City. The only reason is goals. One player scores them whilst still being creative and assisting whilst the other is arguably a better player who creates more chances but just doesn't score heavily enough. It pains me to say but on current form I'd rather have Hazard
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Bleed_Blue » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:35 pm

When he did try and was presented on the plate opportunities like in Chelsea game, either its way off target or there is simply no power in his shot.
Bleed_Blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Have made this point myself about Silva so can't disagree. Superb player but will never be anything like some of the players he is compared to, if he doesn't take more responsibility.

He can beat players & he can shoot. He should be working on it during the week so it becomes natural to do it in games & the Count should be mithering him like fuck about it.

Don't understand why Pellgrini hasn't got on top of this; he has been so sharp on weaknesses in other players.

If Silva was as good at finishing as even Joey Barton or Sibierski, we would be top of the league now. They would have scored many of the chances he has missed or bottled out of taking a shot. Not a lot to ask that he matches those two for finishing is it ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Herb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:07 pm

When he gets his chances, and he does get a fair few, I always expect him to simply pass it into the net as if he has only to get it to a player stood waiting behind the opposition keeper. That's when his passing falls apart as if he can't hack the pressure or something.
He's a magical player but very much a provider with little appetite for taking the glory himself.
Herb
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City super City
My favourite player is: NOT Howler Hart!

Postby Saul Goodman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:00 pm

He looks to have no desire to shoot unless its a tap in. And that's a big issue. But when he does shoot it's all about placement and they're so weak.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Scoring ain't just a matter of having a good shot.
David is not a striker.
Putting the ball in the net is a bonus if he does it.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 pm

At the start of the season I thought mp had told him to shoot more because he was and scoring a few. Last two games seems like he has regressed.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Isn't part of this the issue with his left ankle? He literally can't put his foot through the ball because it's likely to injure him. He knows his game and his body well enough not to risk it - a lot like a winger who's hamstrings have gone simply will not sprint.

He should be better at the placed finished though (see Elano) but part of it must be that becuase his shooting options are restricted, his first thought is always to look for the pass. Finishing is such a psychological thing that if it's not your instinct, then it's very hard indeed to score consistently at the top level.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Isn't part of this the issue with his left ankle? He literally can't put his foot through the ball because it's likely to injure him.

What's this all about?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:Isn't part of this the issue with his left ankle? He literally can't put his foot through the ball because it's likely to injure him.

What's this all about?

It can't be true because he took the free kick v Chelsea, a very good one I might add, & took another one v Bayern. He has been practicing them under Pellegrini, like Yaya.

If he puts in a bit extra finishing practice too & gets into the routine of scoring in training, he can do it in games. He has the ability, not the mentality.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:09 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:At the start of the season I thought mp had told him to shoot more because he was and scoring a few. Last two games seems like he has regressed.

He often starts seasons scoring a few and then gets less frequent. In the title winning season he got a few goals early on also. But then he was running at defenders and getting shots off, this season he seems scared to and goes for the more difficult pass when a shooting chance opens up for him.

Lampard is no better technically than Silva and he scores for fun.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I do think silva is easily a class above hazard but he shooting or lack of is a concern.

That said hazard is playing better atm. Contradiction I know. But I know what I mean.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:21 pm

london blue 2 wrote:I do think silva is easily a class above hazard but he shooting or lack of is a concern.

That said hazard is playing better atm. Contradiction I know. But I know what I mean.

That's exactly it.

There are always other players getting compared to silva when he's hitting a rough patch. If it's not mata, it's hazard or ramsey... blah blah...

Then you look back over the entirety of the last three years and he has created more chance than any other player in the league.

I also wish he scored more goals but as long as he continues to be the best playmaker in the league, I'll be happy.
Original Dub

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

What's this all about?

It can't be true because he took the free kick v Chelsea, a very good one I might add, & took another one v Bayern. He has been practicing them under Pellegrini, like Yaya.

Hit with his instep from 22 yards. Watch him for the next 10 games and tell me how many times he laces it. Not lifts or chips or bends but actually - in fact - laces it.

He can't do it and it isn't because he's slight - SWP could belt them on occasion - it's because he has a recurring left ankle problem (and no right foot).
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby sheblue » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Prior to our last two games we didn't need him to score, just find the space and create, it's always been his game, he doesn't seem to want to shoot, always to seems to look for the pass, it's his nature which is no bad thing.
But it would be nice to see him have more of a go but it's not essential.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:35 pm

sheblue wrote:Prior to our last two games we didn't need him to score, just find the space and create, it's always been his game, he doesn't seem to want to shoot, always to seems to look for the pass, it's his nature which is no bad thing.
But it would be nice to see him have more of a go but it's not essential.

It is essential if he wants to be regarded as one of the best in the world.
You can say it's not his game, but that doesn't make me feel any better when he misses the target from 3 yards out against Chelsea or balloons over when he gets into the box.
He is capable of some lovely finishes like the one against West Ham earlier this season but he often will miss those or try and thread a pass through to someone else.
He does tend to look for the pass all the time, but sometimes the better option is for him to shoot but he seems very nervous to.
Games like yesterday when we're missing Aguero are games when he needs to take a bit more responsibility as Ted said and try and get us that goal himself. I want to see him get the ball on the edge of the area, work half a yard and take the shot on.

Maybe it's a psychological thing.
How often has he done this for us:
[youtube]0dMH8yuByn0[/youtube]
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby john@staustell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:16 pm

I've never seen anyone so consistently able to miss from 3, 4, 5, 6 yards. Shame really for one of the best players in the world.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 pm

I was having this conversation with my Lad and he said to me that Silva is technically better than Santi Cazorla but in his opinion Cazorla carries the greater threat as he plays the same role as Silva but he can also shoot and score from outside and inside the box and isnt scared to have a pop. I have to say I agree with him, Dave isnt a shooter, he likes to create and score a good technical goal rather than a pile driver from 18yds.

I wish he would shoot when the opportunity is there rather than cutting the ball back 90% of the time. I love the little fella, but it is an area he can improve.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum