Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva's (lack of) shooting ability

Postby City64 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:26 am

Who needs Messi now we have little Dave in a more forward role scoring world class goals for fun !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:36 am

So, he needs more goals to become a real player?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby City64 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:48 am

Beefymcfc wrote:So, he needs more goals to become a real player?

I started a thread " Different System " regarding how little Dave could become the complete player if he played further forward in the "New" system whilst all our strikers were injured .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:01 am

You seem to have got quite defensive Beefy! It's not so much a criticism of him but analysis of how he can reach the next level so to speak..
He's without doubt one of if not the best playmakers around, but generally you'd say the one weak area (same can be said of Fabregas) in his game in the past has been his goalscoring ability.
He's as technically good as anyone and when as yesterday and the week before, he takes chances and gets into goalscoring positions more he looks even better.

I think in the past he's often been guilty of looking for an eye of the needle pass when he's in such a great position to shoot and sometimes he'd be better just being a little greedy and more ruthless.

Especially with Aguero and Jovetic made of glass and Dzeko injured, can he step up and be our goalscoring threat?
So far he has shown he is capable and he looks better than ever, let's hope he can continue.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:19 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

You seem to have got quite defensive Beefy! It's not so much a criticism of him but analysis of how he can reach the next level to speak..
He's without doubt one of if not the best playmakers around, but generally you'd say the one weak area (same can be said of Fabregas) in his game in the past has been his goalscoring ability.
He's as technically good as anyone and when as yesterday and the week before, he takes chances an gets into goalscoring positions more he looks even better.

I think in the past he's often been guilty of looking for an eye of the needle pass when he's in such a great position to shoot and sometimes he'd be better just being a little greedy and more ruthless.

Especially with Aguero and Jovetic made of glass and Dzeko injured, can he step up and be our goalscoring threat?
So far he has shown he is capable and he looks better than ever, let's hope he can continue.

Not really being defensive mate, just bringing on the debate after Dave's last few performances. I've mentioned that he is there to feed the strikers and looks for them more times than not. What he is showing is that when there is no striker there, and nobody to look for, he can focus on putting the ball in the back of the net rather than automatically looking to create.

I remember a game he played for Spain where they had no recognised striker and he put in a sensational performance, scoring a couple of goals. He's shown he can do it but seems to get labelled due to the fact that he is great at creating chances for others.

I'd like to see a comparison with him and other players of his ilk to see how many goals they've scored or created. I wonder how he'd fare?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:28 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

You seem to have got quite defensive Beefy! It's not so much a criticism of him but analysis of how he can reach the next level to speak..
He's as technically good as anyone and when as yesterday and the week before, he takes chances an gets into goalscoring positions more he looks even better.

Not really being defensive mate, just bringing on the debate after Dave's last few performances. I've mentioned that he is there to feed the strikers and looks for them more times than not. What he is showing is that when there is no striker there, and nobody to look for, he can focus on putting the ball in the back of the net rather than automatically looking to create.

I remember a game he played for Spain where they had no recognised striker and he put in a sensational performance, scoring a couple of goals. He's shown he can do it but seems to get labelled due to the fact that he is great at creating chances for others.

I'd like to see a comparison with him and other players of his ilk to see how many goals they've scored or created. I wonder how he'd fare?

That's my point really, when there are no strikers, he steps up gets into more goalscoring positions, takes more chances and scores. He looks even better than his usual brilliant self.

When Aguero or Dzeko return I'd like to see him continue as he has been and still provide that threat and ruthlessness he has shown the last two games. Sometimes with Aguero, you feel Silva feels obliged to pass it to him even if he's in a better position himself.
He can be great at creating chances for others, but also great at taking the ones that come his way.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:40 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

That's my point really, when there are no strikers, he steps up gets into more goalscoring positions, takes more chances and scores. He looks even better than his usual brilliant self.

When Aguero or Dzeko return I'd like to see him continue as he has been and still provide that threat and ruthlessness he has shown the last two games. Sometimes with Aguero, you feel Silva feels obliged to pass it to him even if he's in a better position himself.
He can be great at creating chances for others, but also great at taking the ones that come his way.

Could be that now Pellers has seen that we can play without a striker he may adopt a Barca style play (refer to Ted's 688 passes thread) that incorporates elements of Sergio and Dave being the main options infront of goal.

Either way, whether it be creating or scoring, he is proving that he's got it in spades.

As City fans, we can't argue with that ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:27 pm

He's not one of the best playmakers around. He's the best in the world.

I have never seen a player better able to hold on to the ball better than david silva.

He dictates the pace of the game in every single match. It's mind boggling.
Original Dub

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Original Dub wrote:He's not one of the best playmakers around. He's the best in the world.

I have never seen a player better able to hold on to the ball better than david silva.

He dictates the pace of the game in every single match. It's mind boggling.

Agreed. He's every bit as good as Xavi and Iniesta if not even better when on form, I really believe that.
What I was saying wasn't meant to come across as criticism at all.
I remember his goal against Blackpool away when he took on three men and scored, it's that type of ruthlessness i'm talking about.

I think because he's SUCH a good passer and creator that he feels obliged to pass in situations which favour a shot, but when Aguero/Dzeko doesn't play he seems to think 'fuck it i'll do it myself' and it comes off. Two goals from breaking into the box against Palace, yesterday he scored and won the penalty and was unlucky not to score another, his runs into the box have been almost Lampard-esque. (I wonder if Pellegrini's had a word)
It's just another element of his game we're seeing which pushes him onto an even higher level.
He's an unselfish player by nature and that is a good thing for his role but when Aguero comes back, it would be great to see him carry on with this ruthlessness and take more chances himself to score, when he's in a position to do so.

I do agree though, he is the best playmaker anywhere.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Slim » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:23 pm

And bump.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:56 pm

its almost like when Kun and Dzeko play Silva prefers to try to set them up rather than shooting himself. but now that we're devoid of fit strikers he knows he (and the rest of midfield) should shoot more often
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby City64 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Brilliant first half but we fell apart 2 nd half for some reason and little Dave had to come deeper to get on the ball . Mystifying 2nd half performance from us today ....... absolutely shocking !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:51 pm

First half he did exactly what we've been calling for, broke into the box, took a chance and scored. Could have had a couple more on another day. Looks so much more dangerous and he's showing he can finish. Easily capable of 15 goals a season and imo he owes it to himself (more than anything else) to do so.
A positive in an otherwise disappointing game. Keep it up David.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:54 pm

felt sorry for the little man. He was so frustrated and put a solid shift in. Even tried to get the boring middle east stand to muster some support.

He'll be pissed off with his teammates tonight.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Re: Silva's (somewhat improved) shooting ability

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:55 am

I think he won more headers than Kolarov.

If he's going to start scoring goals, he suddenly becomes one of the handful of' best players in the world'.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I paid particular attention to him in the first half yesterday. On top of everything else he does, his first touch usually finds him some space to move into or space for another player to move into. He's genuinely sublime and may be taking the place of Yaya as our best player since Colin Bell, to my mind.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:I paid particular attention to him in the first half yesterday. On top of everything else he does, his first touch usually finds him some space to move into or space for another player to move into. He's genuinely sublime and may be taking the place of Yaya as our best player since Colin Bell, to my mind.

He's got a long way to go before he overtakes Aguero, let alone Yaya.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 pm

For all the doom and gloom on here recently though that this has been a bit of a silver lining (pun (sadly) intended).
Scored 10 league goals this season with ten games left and his previous best was 7.
Obviously been working on something in training as he looks a lot more comfortable getting a shot off than he had been previously and as a result has gone up a level as a player, adding goals to his game.

Long may it continue David.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:For all the doom and gloom on here recently though that this has been a bit of a silver lining (pun (sadly) intended).
Scored 10 league goals this season with ten games left and his previous best was 7.
Obviously been working on something in training as he looks a lot more comfortable getting a shot off than he had been previously and as a result has gone up a level as a player, adding goals to his game.

Long may it continue David.

Careful now. I already tried a Silver Lining thread this week. Reviving another one mightn't go down well.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Dameerto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 pm

Nick wrote:felt sorry for the little man. He was so frustrated and put a solid shift in. Even tried to get the boring middle east stand to muster some support.

He'll be pissed off with his teammates tonight.

Racist.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum