Glory Hunters

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Glory Hunters

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Isn't every football fan glory hunter more or less. Or does someone actually follow City to see them lose?

Felt that way for decades for me!! I remember so many times on away trips when the same people kept bumping into each other with 'gallows humour' our common thread - sort of spoilt things for the home trip if we got a point
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:18 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Herb wrote:
The bigoted arseholes who've ridiculed themselves in here, by displaying a millwallesque hatred of the change in fan-base necessary to take this club to the next level, should just clear off and go and support Rochdale where they'll enjoy the small club environment pretty damn safe from being joined by a rush of new supporters.

is this you displaying the little known device called "Double Irony"?

Double is when ugly rich guys hit on good looking girls by complaining about girls who are only interested in their money. Or something.

This is something else. Something special... or is it?
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Tim777 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Breks wrote:I thought this was a City forum not a hangout for all fidel castros bum chums

Breks. You are absolutely spot-on with everything you've been saying on here. Hats off to you for finally clearing this matter up.
I think that now that all this has been so eloquently and brilliantly brought to the fore, by you, all glory hunters, by your definition, should now take heed and stop supporting the club.
And to think I underestimated you. A thousand apologies for that.
Shaking my head really in marvel, but I'm glad that it took you Breks, intrepid City supporter, to finally make everyone see the light with this ingenious thread that you initiated.
But before they do that, can you do me a favour?
Go and look out of the window.
You see that street pole outside? Go and ride on it until the cows come home. Yes, along your vaseline-coated anus walls. Work it like that. If that doesn't do it for you, get yo' momma to take turns riding it with you. If that also does nothing and your slutty 'lil momma turns out to actually enjoy it, which I'd say is as likely as a straw to pass in from your left ear and out from your right ear clean, then take a fucking blunt blade and slit your wrists non-stop, you miserable offcut of afterbirth disguised as a human being. Troglodytes like you should not breed. A'tall.
And when the pain gets too unbearable, bang your mongrel head against a corrugated concrete wall until you are covered in your genetically-defective blood, then take a backflip and disappear up your own septic poophole, you stupid, bigoted, uneducated, attention-seeking, delirious, adolescent fuck.
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby sheikh it all about » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 pm

You must be wumming, OP, otherwise you're doing a passable imitation of King Cnut. Or something very similar.
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: The Champions
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby branny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Oh I forget about Dazby he is my third favourite after Mike and Ant...he is also proper blue sadly he lives a few miles away from the game so cant make most weekends.

I've witnessed Dazby's commitment first hand. I was in Brisbane when we won the derby 1-0 when we won the league. I asked him to recommend a bar to watch the game in and ended up in the Brisbane supporters clubs regular haunt. KO was 5am over there and there was no alcohol licence at that time so it was coffee and orange. Then after the game he was off to work. No time to celebrate. I respect what he has to go through to watch a game live. Not sure I'd do it.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Bear60 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:44 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I am a glory hunter: I started supporting City in the late sixties when we were winning everything.

And me.

Me too
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Bear60 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:I am a glory hunter: I started supporting City in the late sixties when we were winning everything.

And me.

Me too

And me. But I had no choice; if I'd turned out a rag, my family would have tied bricks to me & thrown me in the canal.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Herb wrote:Some of the ridiculous 'little city' comments that I've read in this thread were a real eye-opener to me.
I've been a match attending glory hunter since 1971, when I first attended Maine Rd, and one of the things that has always made me feel proud to be a blue - even in the very bleakest of moments - was the camaraderie and the way that City fans had a better level of banter, were more amusing, were always more friendly and accepting than the fans of other clubs.

The bigoted arseholes who've ridiculed themselves in here, by displaying a millwallesque hatred of the change in fan-base necessary to take this club to the next level, should just clear off and go and support Rochdale where they'll enjoy the small club environment pretty damn safe from being joined by a rush of new supporters.

I think that the sensible majority using this forum would support the view that there's nothing wrong in taking on a new passion at any age in life, be that learning to play a musical instrument, entering a new long-term relationship or even falling in love with Manchester City FC with it's glorious attacking football and welcoming fans . . well welcoming true fans in the main and a few arseholes soon to frequent Rochdale every second Saturday (I hope).

That's all fine and dandy, but have you sat among the Scandinavians, Dutch and Chinese with their double teamed scarves at Anfield, Bernabeue or Westfalen Stadion? A lot of them aren't fans of one team - just football tourists. I realise that we probably need them (and that I'm to some extent is one of them), but opening our stadium up to whole bunches of them will have an impact on the atmosphere.

I do welcome new City fans with all of my heart; after all I'm an overseas fan as well. It's just that I'm not under the illusion that the majority of new the football tourists at the Ethiad are City fans. They would go anywhere where there's great entertainment on display.

And (not aimed at you but at later posts) I don't think the OP doubts the devotion of Dazby, Doomy, or even myself. This thread is about what is to come. Larger and larger parts of the stadium will be filled with neutral football fans. It's probably necessary for the club, but we don't have to like it or fool ourselves into believing that every daytripper will turn into a life long blue.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Breks wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Just seen this thread and find it sad, perplexing and not a little alarming.

I was born in Yorkshire and, having never lived in or near Manchester, I qualify for the 'foreigner' category of City supporters.

As a very, very young lad, I became (because of Bert Trautman) 'City daft' after the 1956 FA Cup triumph, so I also qualify as a 'glory hunter'. In spite of the relegation problems in the early sixties, I continued my glory hunting trail with Uncle Joe's magnificent side, followed by the hopes and relative optimism of the later seventies.

As a season ticket holder in the yo-yo years of the eighties, despite witnessing two relegations, the glory hunting continued with two promotions. The nineties were problematical, to say the least and thereafter, the rest is (recent) history even though by the time that our owners took control, it looked as though the Club was, financially speaking, about to 'go to the wall'.

Today, as the glory hunting continues, I'm quite happy to watch the Club's fanbase expand and I don't begrudge anyone, irrespective of their age or previous affinities, supporting City - why should I, when I'm a glory hunting foreigner myself ??

In posting this thread, however, I do wonder if Breks - with his views - is tortured by some deep seated Freudian complex which is trying to reach the surface in this way. Apologies to him if this comment causes any undue offence.

Anyway, all I can say is let the glory hunting continue for decades to come.

Plenty of teams in Yorkshire. And racing pigeons, apparently.

But there was only ever one Bert Trautmann and only ever one 'City' for me.

You've obviously got delusions of thinking you're a wit....and you've succeeded in being half right.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby patrickblue » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:You've obviously got delusions of thinking you're a wit....and you've succeeded in being half right.

Sums it up nicely I think.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:50 pm

You're all glory hunters, every fucking one of ya. Suck it up fuckers, just being a City fan is a glory hunting pleasure; it's what we've dreamed of.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

You've obviously got delusions of thinking you're a wit....and you've succeeded in being half right.

Quality
Original Dub

Postby Jorgobot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Obiviously im a glory hunter having ONLY followed city 3/4 years ago when i was 13/14. Not that we were winning much...
Jorgobot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: Date I say it? Ronaldo!?

Postby Jorgobot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Tim777 wrote:
Breks. You are absolutely spot-on with everything you've been saying on here. Hats off to you for finally clearing this matter up.
I think that now that all this has been so eloquently and brilliantly brought to the fore, by you, all glory hunters, by your definition, should now take heed and stop supporting the club.
Shaking my head really in marvel, but I'm glad that it took you Breks, intrepid City supporter, to finally make everyone see the light with this ingenious thread that you initiated.
You see that street pole outside? Go and ride on it until the cows come home. Yes, along your vaseline-coated anus walls. Work it like that. If that doesn't do it for you, get yo' momma to take turns riding it with you. If that also does nothing and your slutty 'lil momma turns out to actually enjoy it, which I'd say is as likely as a straw to pass in from your left ear and out from your right ear clean, then take a fucking blunt blade and slit your wrists non-stop, you miserable offcut of afterbirth disguised as a human being. Troglodytes like you should not breed. A'tall.
And when the pain gets too unbearable, bang your mongrel head against a corrugated concrete wall until you are covered in your genetically-defective blood, then take a backflip and disappear up your own septic poophole, you stupid, bigoted, uneducated, attention-seeking, delirious, adolescent fuck.

This is pretty heroic!
Jorgobot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: Date I say it? Ronaldo!?

Postby Breks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Tim777 wrote:

Lmao. Some effort there lad.
Breks
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am

Tim777 wrote:

Fan fucking tastic.
Original Dub

Postby Socrates » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 am

Original Dub wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Quality

Agreed.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby freshie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07 am

Breks wrote: Lmao. Another one takes a bite

Grow up. You're pathetic
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Socrates » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Just seen this thread and find it sad, perplexing and not a little alarming.

I was born in Yorkshire and, having never lived in or near Manchester, I qualify for the 'foreigner' category of City supporters.

As a very, very young lad, I became (because of Bert Trautman) 'City daft' after the 1956 FA Cup triumph, so I also qualify as a 'glory hunter'. In spite of the relegation problems in the early sixties, I continued my glory hunting trail with Uncle Joe's magnificent side, followed by the hopes and relative optimism of the later seventies.

Proof indeed, that nobody is perfect :p
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:39 am

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Double is when ugly rich guys hit on good looking girls by complaining about girls who are only interested in their money. Or something.

This is something else. Something special... or is it?

It's not.
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum