Manchester City Women FC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Women FC 2013/2014

Postby bobby brows » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Just seen the pic on twitter. Gary Owen's the lucky one to be with a current star.

Are you playing tomorrow?

I think so.

Sorry sis I can't make it as my lift has bailed on me. I've got it Tivo'd though and I'll be watching as soon as I'm home from the Manchester Amateur Cup Final.

Good Luck
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 pm

So 2 games into the season and we have lost both games.The Liverpool one was a tough one to start with but after a slow shaky start I thought we gave a good account of ourselves and were a fraction unlucky to lose although at the same time Liverpool maybe just about deserved it.

Then the 1st home game against Bristol and again a slow shaky start but unfortunately two goals from Bristol during this period and the game was virtually done and dusted. So much to learn for the manager and the girls as in both games the opposition have come out fast.Their pressing and all round energy was too much for us to handle and as a result we never ever got good cotrol of the ball never mind the game.

Part of that is the good pressing but it was also evident that our first touch,control and (hurried) passing wasn't good enough.Basically if the ball wasn't instantly controlled it was like giving the ball away as the challenge was made.The few times we did get the ball it seemed we were so anxious to pass that we got it wrong.In the early stages this was probably true of all the players and that includes the internationals in the team.

It got a little better but we still didn't create many openings and there was some panic in the final pass or shot.Shots from 40 yards are not what we should be trying I don't think.It's never that easy to integrate so many new players together and expect it all to be smooth and perfect but equally it's important that we get things working and get a point or 3 on the board before things start to look gloomy down at the bottom in what is only a short season.

So it's back to the training pitch to work on some basics and develop ways of spreading the play better to create more space to pl;ay in.One aspect that I feel is a little worrying is the lack of pace in quite a few players.It doesnt make them a bad player ( ask Gareth Barry) but it does mean the players need to try and avoid getting caught in 1 on 1 type situations and of course the teammates need to read things very well so cover is around where needed.It seems to me most teams will have a speed merchant or two in their team just as Reading and Liverpool certainly had and it's a massive weapon to have.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon May 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Really pleased for the women's team to get a win yesterday and it was well deserved even if it took a late late winner from Tash Flint.

It's pretty clear it's going to be a tough season for the girls. It was never going to be easy with so many new players having to get together and develop an understanding and a style of play but it seems all teams in the league have strengthened and all very fit and well organised.Until yesterday it seemed all the luck had been bad luck and it wasn't all good against Everton with Toni Duggan missing and then Emma Lipman having to go off injured very early on but they worked very hard and with a little more composure in the final 3rd may well have won the game earlier than they did.

Then came that slice of luck as their keeper,who had made 2 or 3 great saves,didn't hold onto a cross and Tasha scrambled it home.The next slice of luck followed quickly as Everton smashed one onto the post right at the death but they wouldn't have deserved an equaliser imo anyway.

So Andie was on the bench for this one with Karen Bardsley fit again but still no doubt an amazing experience to be involved in a game in the Etihad Stadium itself.Taking a little girl from the stand at half time ( a niece maybe?) and giving her the thrill of scoring a goal.Maybe the bigger thrill was for the girl's parents.

Saturday at Everton watching the win there and next day in a game on the Etihad pitch.Awesome.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Mon May 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Really pleased for the women's team to get a win yesterday and it was well deserved even if it took a late late winner from Tash Flint.

It's pretty clear it's going to be a tough season for the girls. It was never going to be easy with so many new players having to get together and develop an understanding and a style of play but it seems all teams in the league have strengthened and all very fit and well organised.Until yesterday it seemed all the luck had been bad luck and it wasn't all good against Everton with Toni Duggan missing and then Emma Lipman having to go off injured very early on but they worked very hard and with a little more composure in the final 3rd may well have won the game earlier than they did.

Then came that slice of luck as their keeper,who had made 2 or 3 great saves,didn't hold onto a cross and Tasha scrambled it home.The next slice of luck followed quickly as Everton smashed one onto the post right at the death but they wouldn't have deserved an equaliser imo anyway.

So Andie was on the bench for this one with Karen Bardsley fit again but still no doubt an amazing experience to be involved in a game in the Etihad Stadium itself.Taking a little girl from the stand at half time ( a niece maybe?) and giving her the thrill of scoring a goal.Maybe the bigger thrill was for the girl's parents.

Saturday at Everton watching the win there and next day in a game on the Etihad pitch.Awesome.

It was Jon Parkinson's daughter Molly, he is one of Chris mates. Said I would try and do something for her so got her to score a goal at that end....Jon seemed happier than Molly :-)

Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri May 09, 2014 2:42 am

Skip to 3:24 for MCWFC
[youtube]Om9yKQLzqvE[/youtube]
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Sister of fu » Fri May 09, 2014 8:32 am

JamieMCFC wrote:Skip to 3:24 for MCWFC

Izzy is a nutter as you can see from the vid.
Sister of fu

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 am

JamieMCFC wrote:Skip to 3:24 for MCWFC

ha ha smooth mover!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bingos' Dad » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Image

I got a new glove sponsor and requested this special edition. I hope he likes them :-)

Well i can tell you his Dad does !
Thankyou
Gary
Bingos' Dad
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 am

Very good win last night against last year's champions Liverpool and well deserved too. A cracking goal from McManus got them on the way early on.Running onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and the shot just flew in the top corner.If she has ever had a better moment in football I would be surprised.

A little lack of composure in trying to clear a ball brought the Pool equaliser and they probably deserved it at the time as they were pressing but a great save from Bardsley in a one on one situation kept it level at half time.Then came the breakthrough in the half when Izzie Christiansen hit a lovely curling shot from the D into the bottom corner.I wonder what her dance would be like in the dressing room after that one?

The best part of the game for me though was the overall team performance.I really get the feeling that lessons have been learned from the earlier games.The team are at it from the start,the organisation is good and the pressing on the ball is getting better and better and there seems to be a belief growing in the team that they really belong and can win games.

One of my stars on the night was Krystal Johnson.Normally a striker or wide attacker ,she was thrown in at full back when Nic Harding had to go off injured.She is far from a natural full back but I thought she was excellent.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Very good win last night against last year's champions Liverpool and well deserved too. A cracking goal from McManus got them on the way early on.Running onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and the shot just flew in the top corner.If she has ever had a better moment in football I would be surprised.

A little lack of composure in trying to clear a ball brought the Pool equaliser and they probably deserved it at the time as they were pressing but a great save from Bardsley in a one on one situation kept it level at half time.Then came the breakthrough in the half when Izzie Christiansen hit a lovely curling shot from the D into the bottom corner.I wonder what her dance would be like in the dressing room after that one?

The best part of the game for me though was the overall team performance.I really get the feeling that lessons have been learned from the earlier games.The team are at it from the start,the organisation is good and the pressing on the ball is getting better and better and there seems to be a belief growing in the team that they really belong and can win games.

One of my stars on the night was Krystal Johnson.Normally a striker or wide attacker ,she was thrown in at full back when Nic Harding had to go off injured.She is far from a natural full back but I thought she was excellent.

cheers Doug.

Did you get your Season Ticket through?
Where was Wozza?
Is Brooks the U16/18 Youth keeper?
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Very good win last night against last year's champions Liverpool and well deserved too. A cracking goal from McManus got them on the way early on.Running onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and the shot just flew in the top corner.If she has ever had a better moment in football I would be surprised.

cheers Doug.

Where was Wozza?

Still not got a season ticket but it seems they have decided to send individual tickets out prior to each game rather than a one off season card.God knows who thought that one up.I had to go to the ticket booths last night and queue for 20 minutes to get one.The queue wasn't mega long but they ran out of tickets. Only at City! I got in as they kicked off but plenty would have missed the start.

Wozza was working on MCFC Twitter nursing a damaged wrist.3 or 4 weeks missing I think and yes Brooks is the youth keeper.Wozza had a special article in the programme though plus a full centre fold picture.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

cheers Doug.

Where was Wozza?

Still not got a season ticket but it seems they have decided to send individual tickets out prior to each game rather than a one off season card.God knows who thought that one up.I had to go to the ticket booths last night and queue for 20 minutes to get one.The queue wasn't mega long but they ran out of tickets. Only at City! I got in as they kicked off but plenty would have missed the start.

Wozza was working on MCFC Twitter nursing a damaged wrist.3 or 4 weeks missing I think and yes Brooks is the youth keeper.Wozza had a special article in the programme though plus a full centre fold picture.

Cheers Doug

SoF Centrefold....I wonder if thats now ticked off the bucket list :-D

Crazy stuff on the ticket front, hope they get that sorted, but I suppose its all new at the moment and they are finding their feet....shame they have not got something to base it on....hang on a minute!?
Wonderwall

Postby Dameerto » Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Sounds like a good win for the women's team - it should give them some confidence.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby frankswift » Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm taking my daughter to the Arsenal game on Sunday - can we pay at the gate?
frankswift
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Take a wild guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 pm

frankswift wrote:I'm taking my daughter to the Arsenal game on Sunday - can we pay at the gate?

I would expect so if it's the same as at City.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri May 16, 2014 10:50 pm

I saw a recording of the first game v Liverpool & thought City were a bit unlucky. Once the football clicked, ours was better than theirs. Their striker is one hell of a player though tbf, but some of ours got better & better as that game went on.

You could see the potential. Not that surprised we won this time.

Well done though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sister of fu » Sat May 17, 2014 12:02 pm

frankswift wrote:I'm taking my daughter to the Arsenal game on Sunday - can we pay at the gate?

Make sure you come and say hello. I will be in the stands somewhere.
Sister of fu

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Great win today at Arsenal! Looks like the team are gelling and this could become a very good season
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sister of fu » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 pm

What a day and what a 7 days for me. This club is building something very special and it's amazing to be involved. Hoping to get a scan on my wrist soon as it's giving me some serious gip. Fingers crossed it's something that can be sorted ASAP.
Sister of fu

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun May 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Ruining women's football now as well.

It's just shocking.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum