Manchester City Women FC

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manchester City Women FC

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 pm

We have a very efficient well organised team with good quality in every position. Pace in both full backs for attacking and defending, lots of players who can pass the ball in the middle and retain possession. Goalscoring would have been my worry up to this season (maybe still is) but we do seem to be getting that right with goals potentially coming from just about everywhere.

A small squad by design and we have come though a mini injury crisis already and kept winning. Megan Campbell at center back , Izzy in midfield both bhack now but Kiera Walsh still out. 3 we can just about manage but more than that or a few in exactly the same part of the team and there could easily be problems.

Looking forward to the away game at Liverpool on Wednesday.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu May 26, 2016 11:10 am

australian women's team lose 7-0 to newcastle jets u15s....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rm-up.html

how would our ladies get on against our junior teams?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Shit , I clicked on this thread by mistake.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:australian women's team lose 7-0 to newcastle jets u15s....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rm-up.html

how would our ladies get on against our junior teams?

They have in the past trained with and played against our under 18's I believe behind closed doors. I would expect our 18's to murder them and judging by how good the 16's are they would probably beat them as well
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby patrickblue » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Played a blinder against Notts County, and looked back to their best.

Women against girls.

Brilliant
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Won again.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby patrickblue » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Four points clear.
Hopefully they've had their dodgy spell, and will be on all cylinders for the rest of the season.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:50 pm

Far from their best today but miles better than a poor Sunderland. Fantastic for Stanway , she's only 17, to score a hat trick.
A really top prospect and a great eye for goal.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Far from their best today but miles better than a poor Sunderland. Fantastic for Stanway , she's only 17, to score a hat trick.
A really top prospect and a great eye for goal.

the stats are ridiculous
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36877244
could (should?) have been 10!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:07 am

I am amazed the possession was only 60/40. 80/20 would have reflected the dominance but we were nowhere near as slick and creative as against notts county the previous week. I am sure they will take 3 nil though anytime.

2 big games still to come with the key one against Chelsea 1 from the end of the season.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Nearly forgot but how dreadful was the music before the match and at half time. Not so much what was played ( although it wasn't 60's so rubbish for me!) but somebody must have turned the sound up to super maximum. So so loud it was crazy. Impossible to have a conversation with anyone.

AND I arrives fairly e arly to be told there were no programmes left. Both ends of the ground had none left. What a joke.... although I think they found another batch close to kick off.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:02 pm

I would watch them more, but any mention of women, NYC or Melbourne seems to send my missus into fits of sulks.

Luckily I dont take a lot of notice in the football season.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Doug I'm not able to watch the matches over here. How are they compared in quality to the U.S. women?
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:11 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:Doug I'm not able to watch the matches over here. How are they compared in quality to the U.S. women?

Not that easy to answer as I don't see much of the USA women to be able to make a good comparison. However I have watched England a bit more of later including the "success" in Canada ( was that the world cup) where we got a bronze. The standards/quality at City have improved dramatically imo over the last 2 years and in essence we have only been going for 3 years as a serious team.

From an England perspective I feel we are pretty good in a defensive way with decent defenders and defensive midfield players but lack much quality in the final third. It's not that we have bad players but they just seem to lack that something you need to really take hold of the game , create chances and untimately score goals.When we play against the better teams we seem to be able to hold our own and a draw looks very possible ( nil nil) but there is little prospect of us raking the game to one of the good sides and winning.

Not yet anyway but the development is coming and who knows in the not too distant future we might just find the special talents needed to change all that.

At City as I said the development has been fast. I am not too sure who is in charge of recruitment but I assume it's the manager Nick Cushing and he really seems to know what's needed.Initially we had a core of players. A keeper , centre half , centre mid and a "striker" Bardsley, Houghton ,Scott and Duggan and a raw Christiansen.

We have added to that with :
Bronze a proven winner at Liverpool and for me a stand out player
Stokes also full back with real pace and developed now to be an England player
Beattie either as center back or defensive midfield and quality strong player. Scottish international
Megan Campbell left back or center back and another Scottish international. Not sen too much but looks good and what a throw she has on her.
Nikita Parris from Everton I think and very quick.Plays either right side or through the middle. Pace is so so important and if she can just add composure she will be top top quality. Now another England International
Jane Ross Cushing wanted her from the off and I can see why. Goalscorer but much more . Great touch, holds the bal well and lays it off well but a real determination about her.
Keira Walsh as a holding midfield player is still very young but loads of quality in her play. I like her a lot and another starting and England career
Abbie McManus one of the big successes for me. Was at City when it all started but fell away for some reason. ( SOF will know better) but she fought her way back and has become a regular at center back with Steph. Sadly now injured.
Georgia Stanway Only 17 and starting to make a real name for herself. captained the international age group side already and scored a hat trick yesterday of real quality. definitely one for the future but already with us and making the team. Very intelligent player and could well be one of those with that composure in the last 3rd we and England need.
Daphne Corboz from America has great football intelligence and fits in great albeit likely as a squad player.
Tessel Middag just come in from somewhere and will be a squad player for now but is the next Jill Scott
Kosovare Asliani quality midfield playmaker.Not seen the best of her yet.

So a lot of new faces have come in and everyone adds to the quality. Not all English as you can see but we do have 7 ( or is it 8) in the England set up now. Nick Cushing seems to be well respected by everyone and definitely the players and if he is doing the recruitment he is getting it just about spot on. Plus he likes to play good football.

Others have also come in aged 16/17 as part of the planning for the future so I have no doubt City will be one of if the not THE major force in women's football for a long time to come.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Another win tonight. Looking good....
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:49 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Another win tonight. Looking good....

Was just gonna post this. Relentless from them
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby bobby brows » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Went to the game last night. Not there best performance but absolutely ruthless. Lampard-esque first from Izzy before a stunner from Toni Duggan coming off the bench...and I missed it...cos someone in the press box asked me to check the rags score! Never Again!

Five league games to go and four wins guarentee's the title. Conti Cup quarter final this week at home to pointless Doncaster; extra incentive to win this as the final is at the Academy Stadium.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36977828

Facebook: Manchester City Women to stream match live on social network

Manchester City Women's Continental Cup quarter-final at home to Doncaster Rovers Belles on Sunday [August 7th, 2pm] will be streamed live on City's Facebook page.

The Women's Super League leaders will be the first English professional women's football club to stream a competitive game on the social network.

Man City Women's Facebook account currently has more than 4.5m 'likes'.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:46 pm

Another great win today over Doncaster.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:09 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Another great win today over Doncaster.

If only I had Facebook I could've watched
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum