*** Title Race | Comparison Tables ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

*** Title Race | Comparison Tables ***

Postby AG7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 pm

And my comparison tables are back!

Thought what better time to do them than a boring FIB, plus also where we stand, these should add some perspective ...

Instead of comparing Scum v Us like last season, I have instead done our last two seasons to this one. Unlike last two seasons, can't really say who we'll be competing head on with so there wasn't really a point choosing Scum or Arse or Chelsea for a direct comparison, but with our own past two seasons, this would give us a fair comparison to when we won the title and when we gave it away ...

Right so straight into it ... I think instead of giving my highlights (like last season) I'll just let you guys dig into them for now (all the home/away points and goals etc have been split so look for the devil in the details) ... and I will of course update them after every few gameweeks and then will post a summary with every update whichever is worth mentioning.

The only thing worth mentioning though is we might be 12 points behind in a gameweek comparison vs the title winning season or 6 behind last season ... but if you compare oranges with oranges, we are actually 3 points better off than last season (6 pts still worse than the title winning season). I reckon this year the title will go to somewhere above our last year's tally of 78 but below the 89 that we accumulated when we were crowned.

Ladies and gentlemen, mademoiselle et monsieur ... here they are:

Title Race at 11 - By Gameweek.PNG

Title Race at 11 - By Same Fixtures.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: *** Title Race | Comparison Tables ***

Postby City64 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Stats are irrelevant because OUR DEFENCE IS PISS POOR THIS SEASON !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for obliging, however, when you say like-for-like, how are we 3 points better off?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby AG7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Thanks for obliging, however, when you say like-for-like, how are we 3 points better off?

Look at the Fixtures Comparison table Beefy ...

Last year we lost to Scum at home vs this year we have got those 3 pts ... so +3

Last year we drew at Chelsea away, vs this year lost ... so -1

Last year we drew at West Ham away vs won this time ... so +2

Last year we lost to Norwich at home vs won this time ... so +3

But we won against Wigan away last time vs lost at Cardiff away this time so -3

Also lost to Villa away vs won there last time around so another -3

Everton at home was a draw vs a win this time so +2

Now do the math ... that's 3 pts more for same fixtures if you compare to same fixtures last year ... and if you look at the goals (especially goal diff), our defence doesn't look that bad in numbers though ...

Last year what killed us was the draws ... way too many of em ... three draws gets so same where one win and two losses get you at end of three games ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Goataldo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:59 am

AG7 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Thanks for obliging, however, when you say like-for-like, how are we 3 points better off?

Last year we lost to Scum at home vs this year we have got those 3 pts ... so +3

Now do the math ... that's 3 pts more for same fixtures if you compare to same fixtures last year ... and if you look at the goals (especially goal diff), our defence doesn't look that bad in numbers though ...

Last year what killed us was the draws ... way too many of em ... three draws gets so same where one win and two losses get you at end of three games ...

*maths
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:04 am

AG7 wrote:

Fucking hell you stroppy fuck, it was a genuine question. You said like for like but then swap Wigan with Cardiff.

Also, if you check your table out you'll notice that although there were many draws last season it wasn't just about that but actually about our home form. Notice that we were only 1 point down on away games but a huge 10 points down on our home form. Pick those 10 points back up and at least we would've been in the fight.

I think what the stats tell us so far is that they are quite irrelevent as the only thing we need to do is start picking those away points up. We've lost to 3 teams that nobody thought we'd lose to with 3 of our losses coming when we were walking away with points.

The stats may get interesting later but for now, there's only one math mate and that's, pick some points up away from home.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby AG7 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Right, here's the updated tables at the end of gameweek 15 for us ... next update at half-way mark after gameweek 19.

Highlights:

- This was the game which we first lost in the title winning season, with only 2 draws thus far (so were with 38 pts). Last season we hadn't lost any yet but had accumulated 6 draws (so were with 33 pts). This season with 4 losses already and 2 draws, we are at 29 points.

- So although in gameweek comparison we might be 4 (from last season) and 9 (from title season) points behind ... if you compare the same fixtures, we are only 3 points worse off (from the title winning season) and actually 4 points better from last season.

- What's glaring to me in the gameweek comparison table is that the season we won the title we went on long winning runs to accumulate points ... 4 wins to start with, then just a draw, before we won next 7 ... same way towards the end we won 4 together and at the very end 6 in a row. Doesn't matter they were away or home, they were just a string of wins together. Compare that to last season and the longest run we went on was only 4 wins (which came twice throughout the season) and then 3 wins (which actually only happened once). The max after that we reached was 2 wins in a row before drawing or losing again ... which is something we have been doing this season as well. What we really need is a good long run of wins, 5, 6 or 7 wins on a go and that will put us at the top and put pressure on others ...

- Our goal scoring and goal differences are amazing compared to even the title winning season. Rest just have a look at the tables ...

Title Race at 15 - By Gameweek.PNG

Title Race at 15 - By Same Fixtures.PNG
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:34 pm

So basically, it's a waste of time people trying to predict who is going to do what at this stage, as we were like Barca at the start of our title wining season, then like Hull for months, then like Barca again at the death.

Anything can happen.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:So basically, it's a waste of time people trying to predict who is going to do what at this stage, as we were like Barca at the start of our title wining season, then like Hull for months, then like Barca again at the death. Anything can happen.

Agreed. Just posted a reply in another thread - stick to the old 'game at a time' cliche. Come mid-April is the time to worry about all the combinations of results.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby AG7 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Updated tables at half way through the season:

Title Race at 19 - By Gameweek.PNG

Title Race at 19 - By Same Fixtures.PNG

Highlights:

- At half way mark in the last season we were only at 39 points (vs 41 this year) but in title winning season we had 45.

- In the same fixtures though we are 8 pts better off than last season (33 pts) and just 1 pt behind from the title winning season (42 pts then).

- The goal difference and amounts of goals scored is where we are leaps and bounds ahead of both previous season. e.g. Goals scored in same fixtures this season is 54 compared to 28 last year (that's a whopping 26 more) and compared to title winning season's 41 (is still 13 more).

- We have conceded more goals too however ... 21 this year compared to 19 last season and 14 in title winning season, but given goals scored is so much more than both previous seasons and goal difference still nets positive in this year's favor.

Next update after another 6 games, so at gameweek 25 ...
(if you guys want to see these updated more frequently than every 5/6 games, then just let me know)
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby nottsblue » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 pm

AG7 wrote:Updated tables at half way through the season:

Title Race at 19 - By Gameweek.PNG
Title Race at 19 - By Same Fixtures.PNG

Highlights:

- At half way mark in the last season we were only at 39 points (vs 41 this year) but in title winning season we had 45.

- In the same fixtures though we are 8 pts better off than last season (33 pts) and just 1 pt behind from the title winning season (42 pts then).

- The goal difference and amounts of goals scored is where we are leaps and bounds ahead of both previous season. e.g. Goals scored in same fixtures this season is 54 compared to 28 last year (that's a whopping 26 more) and compared to title winning season's 41 (is still 13 more).

- We have conceded more goals too however ... 21 this year compared to 19 last season and 14 in title winning season, but given goals scored is so much more than both previous seasons and goal difference still nets positive in this year's favor.

Next update after another 6 games, so at gameweek 25 ...
(if you guys want to see these updated more frequently than every 5/6 games, then just let me know)

Nice work. Makes for interesting comparisons. Not scientific i know but enjoyable nonetheless
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Twobob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Interesting reading through that - thanks for putting the time and effort into it all, so if things run on track and the title race still very very tight, if we keep an 8 point improvement on last year we should be OK - as long as someone doesn't run away with things?

Also love the spreadsheets - well posh and the 'scum of the earth' made me laugh :-)
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby sandman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 am

Nice work AG7 - (And don't listen to the pathetic little cunts on here who moaned about it, some of the miserable little turds on this forum just moan about everything)

I feel we need to take every game one at a time and treat every game as the title winning game, the stats are interesting, I think dropping points earlier in the season could have cost us dearly given that our toughest aways are yet to come, but given a strong push into the run in I would like to think City can get a few points ahead.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby AG7 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Updated tables attached:

Title Race at 25 - By Gameweek.PNG

Title Race at 25 - By Same Fixtures.PNG

Highlights

- Every single stat will tell you that we are better than the last season ... but worse than the title winning season ...
- This could change over the next 7-8 fixtures, as this was the period we wobbled in the title winning season ...
- Had we not had these two hiccups (Chelsea loss and Norwich draw), we'd be well on top and pretty in comparison from both previous seasons ...
- All the numbers do give a fair sense of where we are and how we were in previous two seasons. Yes, we can't compare seasons in terms of previous two we just had one competitor (Scum) and were one on one with them but this time there are quite a few in the league right now, but we are only comparing our own performance to our own from previous seasons, which does give a good feel of where we are ...
- The biggest no. staring the face is goal differential with the title winning season. ZERO, no difference whatsoever if you look at same games comparison. That tells me that we aren't all that great that we have been made out to be (yes we have score 9 more goals but then have shipped 9 more as well, thus the goal difference is zero in that comparison) ...
- Same is the myth that we have a huge squad or have great depth and breadth ... a few injures to key players have shown us this week.

Anyway, some interesting things pop out, if you stare at these two sheets for a few minutes. Will let you deduce your own from these (and that I need to run off somewhere too) ...

Next update after four games, so after Hull (away) ...
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks AG, I'll have a look when I get 5.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby AG7 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Updated tables after 34 games are attached (for those interested):

Title Race at 34 - By Gameweek.PNG

Title Race at 34 - By Same Fixtures.PNG
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PeterParker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:49 pm

I think our best bit it's Maureen, not Pulis and this is why.

Pulis:

He hates City, we are his worse nightmare, from Gilligham to FA Cup final. Never had great words regarding us and imho he will play better with us rather the Dippers.

Mourinho

Funny enough, Maureen it's a really clever twat and this is why. He gave Mata to United, why? For Mata to play against the title rival teams and to have a really good and excelent relashionship with the rags if in the future he might go there. Regarding City, all season he said we are favorites, etc, yada-yada-yada. I am prepare to bet he will try and win at Scouse Arena for him, to be in good relashions with our board, for his future. He has open doors and wants one here too.

Plus, just imagine a understudy, ex coach with him, Rodgers, will win the league in front of him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby bayblue » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 pm

PeterParker wrote:I think our best bit it's Maureen, not Pulis and this is why. Pulis: He hates City, we are his worse nightmare, from Gilligham to FA Cup final. Never had great words regarding us and imho he will play better with us rather the Dippers. Mourinho Funny enough, Maureen it's a really clever twat and this is why. He gave Mata to United, why? For Mata to play against the title rival teams and to have a really good and excelent relashionship with the rags if in the future he might go there. Regarding City, all season he said we are favorites, etc, yada-yada-yada. I am prepare to bet he will try and win at Scouse Arena for him, to be in good relashions with our board, for his future. He has open doors and wants one here too. Plus, just imagine a understudy, ex coach with him, Rodgers, will win the league in front of him.

Mourinho will be desperate to win at Anfield. Remember those disputed Champions League semis?
Plus, if he wins and they won the league he can say he's beat the two main rivals at their places. If he wins and doesn't win the league he can sti say the same.
Hate to say this as I think his team are much duller than Liverpool but for the first time in a long time I'm rooting for him.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby dick dastardley » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 am

Chelsea will get FUCK all at the thieving fuckers ground, by decree of the Fa and the media. All I want is that cheating twat upfront for them breaks his fuckin leg.
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum