Sergio...a statistic

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sergio...a statistic

Postby ant london » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm

from f365.com's winners and losers column

Sergio Aguero
Despite recording their biggest top-flight win since 1968, the winners list has no place for Manchester City as a whole. We learned nothing of them that we didn't already know - this is a side always ruthless at home, often toothless away.

Aguero though, must be singled out for individual honours. Asked to plough a lone furrow at Stamford Bridge last week (and named man of the match in doing so), the Argentinean demonstrated an extra element to his game perhaps not before witnessed. Against Norwich on Saturday, and given a strike partner once more, this was a striker back to what he knows and does best. Bread and butter with a sprinkling of caviar, if you will.

Three assists and a goal took Aguero to that impressive of statuses - no Premier League player has either scored more or assisted more league goals this season - to be top of both lists highlights his immense quality. 18 goals either finished or created in his 12 games at club level this season is the record of a striker at the very peak of his powers.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Sergio...a statistic

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:01 pm

So if City suddenly find some teeth away from home and show these bastions of punditry something they didnt know will they give City any credit?...otherwise there is no point if the view on City is entrenched...which seems the case. Anyway...Aguero...world class...yep 40mil hes off the mirror said so
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:So if City suddenly find some teeth away from home and show these bastions of punditry something they didnt know will they give City any credit?...otherwise there is no point if the view on City is entrenched...which seems the case. Anyway...Aguero...world class...yep 40mil hes off the mirror said so

What F365 said is totally fair. Our away record is wank for a team of our quality. No agenda there.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:So if City suddenly find some teeth away from home and show these bastions of punditry something they didnt know will they give City any credit?...otherwise there is no point if the view on City is entrenched...which seems the case. Anyway...Aguero...world class...yep 40mil hes off the mirror said so

What F365 said is totally fair. Our away record is wank for a team of our quality. No agenda there.

I know its poor, but if and when it turns around where will the analysis of that fact be?...it will be brushed away and instead itll be.."City beat palace 6-0at home but so what"...even when we won the league its as if we hadnt. Im not disputing that our away record isnt good enough. Its Dub...he brings out the media touchiness in me;-)
Bianchi on Ice

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
I know its poor, but if and when it turns around where will the analysis of that fact be?...it will be brushed away and instead itll be.."City beat palace 6-0 but so what"...even when we won the league its as if we hadnt. Im not disputing that our away record isnt good enough. Its Dub...he brings out the media touchiness in me;-)

F365 is a good website, though, in my opinion. Probably the best around. They kiss Arsenal's arses a bit bit they're generally quite evenhanded in their coverage of all clubs.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby twosips » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 pm

To be honest, yeah, if we do beat Palace 6-0 but then timidly lose away it is a case of 'so what?' - its totally pointless only winning at home. We shouldn't win awards or plaudits cos we can stuff shit teams at home.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:24 pm

My point is ifCity start winning away from home with style will it be reported as such and will they be given due credit?..ive read and heard too much to assume that we will...im a full on subscriber to the view that reporting on the club is not even handed.
Bianchi on Ice

Postby twosips » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Can't say I agree with that. If we start winning away too then yes, I think it'll be reported.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 pm

If we start winning away and Sergio keeps up is current form I don't care if they report it or not :-)
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:If we start winning away and Sergio keeps up is current form I don't care if they report it or not :-)

4 matches in a row away from home, won three of them.

We have started winning away from home.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Slim wrote: 4 matches in a row away from home, won three of them. We have started winning away from home.

Agreed. I meant consistently in the league.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Slim wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:If we start winning away and Sergio keeps up is current form I don't care if they report it or not :-)

4 matches in a row away from home, won three of them.

We have started winning away from home.

and one we shouldn't have lost
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh it's another dig alright.

If we were as good away from home as we are at home, we'd have the title wrapped up already. This tells me that there is a distribution of points whereby the other top teams are just as "toothless" as us.

We did learn something about City on the weekend. We learned that we achieved one of the best premier league results ever recorded.

Publish that in your article bitch.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:56 pm

ant london wrote:from f365.com's winners and losers column

Sergio Aguero
Despite recording their biggest top-flight win since 1968, the winners list has no place for Manchester City as a whole. We learned nothing of them that we didn't already know - this is a side always ruthless at home, often toothless away.

Aguero though, must be singled out for individual honours. Asked to plough a lone furrow at Stamford Bridge last week (and named man of the match in doing so), the Argentinean demonstrated an extra element to his game perhaps not before witnessed. Against Norwich on Saturday, and given a strike partner once more, this was a striker back to what he knows and does best. Bread and butter with a sprinkling of caviar, if you will.

Three assists and a goal took Aguero to that impressive of statuses - no Premier League player has either scored more or assisted more league goals this season - to be top of both lists highlights his immense quality. 18 goals either finished or created in his 12 games at club level this season is the record of a striker at the very peak of his powers.

Interesting how many neutrals in football, & even the enemy (Neville etc) recon Serge is capable of way better than the form he has produced so far, even in his best season.

Quite a few have the opinion that he should be up there close to Ronaldo & Messi. Perhaps he is starting on that road ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cit.revenge » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I think this could be hes best season in City ,to bad we have problems at back.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Sergio Aguero

Interesting how many neutrals in football, & even the enemy (Neville etc) recon Serge is capable of way better than the form he has produced so far, even in his best season.

Quite a few have the opinion that he should be up there close to Ronaldo & Messi. Perhaps he is starting on that road ?

Are you saying he is the 3rd best player in the world? Because that's crazy talk, we know who the third best player in the world is.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Sergio Aguero

Are you saying he is the 3rd best player in the world? Because that's crazy talk, we know who the third best player in the world is.

I wouldn't dare.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm

He was magnificent in his debut season but I'm not sure what happened last season. Really expected him to kick on and stake his claim to be one of the best in the world but went backwards and produced many substandard performances and often cut a frustrated figure. There were moments of brilliance like his goals against Rags and Chelsea but like Silva he'll know he performed nowhere near to what he was capable of. Was it Mancini? Or personal issues? Who knows..

This season though he's been fantastic and looking even better than the player he was in his debut season. If he performs consistently at the level he has been, there are few better...

My only issues with him were his greed. It's good for a striker to be confident and want to score but quite often he'd try and do it all himself and shoot from a ridiculous angle when an easy pass to a team-mate in a better position was on. One particular example was the Cardiff game early this season when at 3-2 down in stoppage time he was running away from goal on his left foot, surrounded by 3 defenders with very little angle and he shot when he had about 3 unmarked players ready to tap in if he squared the ball. And we al know that for some reason both him and Silva in the past have refused to pass to Dzeko when he was stood waiting for a tap in.

He does now though seem to be passing more and if he can do it consistently he'll be even more valuable.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Original Dub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:He was magnificent in his debut season but I'm not sure what happened last season. Really expected him to kick on and stake his claim to be one of the best in the world but went backwards and produced many substandard performances and often cut a frustrated figure. There were moments of brilliance like his goals against Rags and Chelsea but like Silva he'll know he performed nowhere near to what he was capable of. Was it Mancini? Or personal issues? Who knows..

This season though he's been fantastic and looking even better than the player he was in his debut season. If he performs consistently at the level he has been, there are few better...

My only issues with him were his greed. It's good for a striker to be confident and want to score but quite often he'd try and do it all himself and shoot from a ridiculous angle when an easy pass to a team-mate in a better position was on. One particular example was the Cardiff game early this season when at 3-2 down in stoppage time he was running away from goal on his left foot, surrounded by 3 defenders with very little angle and he shot when he had about 3 unmarked players ready to tap in if he squared the ball. And we al know that for some reason both him and Silva in the past have refused to pass to Dzeko when he was stood waiting for a tap in.

He does now though seem to be passing more and if he can do it consistently he'll be even more valuable.

Even more valuable than 40m
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:He was magnificent in his debut season but I'm not sure what happened last season. Really expected him to kick on and stake his claim to be one of the best in the world but went backwards and produced many substandard performances and often cut a frustrated figure. There were moments of brilliance like his goals against Rags and Chelsea but like Silva he'll know he performed nowhere near to what he was capable of. Was it Mancini? Or personal issues? Who knows..

Even more valuable than 40m

All of the strikers are making more of an effort to play together & all are looking more dangerous because of it. I suspected Bob was hopeless in that area & this has confirmed it for me.

Aguero on current form would be double his original fee at least.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum