Navas

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:33 am

Does he tarmac drives too?
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Twobob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 am

MilnersJaw wrote:Does he tarmac drives too?

Nope but supplies plenty of wine
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby phips » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:41 am

sheblue wrote:
Twobob wrote:Certainly improving as the season progresses - he gets stuck in defensive wise too, real team player.

At the start of the season he looked a bit of a one trick pony, but now we are seeing a lot more from him.

hes tracking back nicely and winning a good number of his challenges
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Showing he's learned what's required. A big plus for us.A winger who can go outside is a rarity these days and is always dangerous for that reason.Plus he can pick people out unlike many of the speed merchants.The boy dun well!
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:41 pm

Don't like criticizing one of our too much but i'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this guy.
One trick pony the majority of the time. He's great when the other team pushes right up and he can boot and leg past players but as soon as he comes up against a half decent fullback, he never really gets out their pocket. He's easy to defend against largely and very readable. He either gets crowded out or ends up smashing the ball into the legs of the defender. Not to mention that his shooting is pathetic.
Milner is far better at just making that half a yard of space and should be playing ahead of him.
Navas it looks, is best suited as an impact sub.
Bridge'srightfoot

Supporter of: City

Postby blues2win » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Seems to lack the confidence to take on his man despite his blistering pace even when there's plenty of grass ahead of him. Did serve up a chance for Sergio on a plate today though.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Original Dub » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Don't like criticizing one of our too much but i'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this guy.
One trick pony the majority of the time. He's great when the other team pushes right up and he can boot and leg past players but as soon as he comes up against a half decent fullback, he never really gets out their pocket. He's easy to defend against largely and very readable. He either gets crowded out or ends up smashing the ball into the legs of the defender. Not to mention that his shooting is pathetic.
Milner is far better at just making that half a yard of space and should be playing ahead of him.
Navas it looks, is best suited as an impact sub.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that.
He's an excellent sub to work tired defences. But that still leaves us with something we have lacked for an age now. Genuine pace. I was delighted when we signed him because I thought he'd be the answer, but he isn't a starter IMO.
Original Dub

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm

A summer upgrade in this area is required.

Navas out
Reus in

That will sort the problem. Navas is the Spanish Adam Johnson - a great impact sub whos best position is the bench.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:A summer upgrade in this area is required.

Navas out
Reus in

That will sort the problem. Navas is the Spanish Adam Johnson - a great impact sub whos best position is the bench.

Petrov probably had more MOTM performances

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby aaron bond » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Can't disagree with any of the above points.

Our best combination on the right is Zab/Milner. Those 2 link-up together excellently and more often than not cause significant problems for the opposition.

Navas can be a useful option as a sub but he's not good enough to start.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby nottsblue » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:11 pm

For someone with pace to burn my biggest gripe is he doesn't roast full backs the way he should. Compare and contrast to Reus or Bale or Ronaldo or diMaria or Sanchez. Even a muppet like Walcott. They use their pace as an asset and a way ro get the better of their opponent. About time Navas went back to basics
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:For someone with pace to burn my biggest gripe is he doesn't roast full backs the way he should. Compare and contrast to Reus or Bale or Ronaldo or diMaria or Sanchez. Even a muppet like Walcott. They use their pace as an asset and a way ro get the better of their opponent. About time Navas went back to basics

I think he just got figured out in this league after looking great at the start of last season. The great players adapt and change their game whereas Navas hasn't and it's frustrating how predictable he is. When you're playing against someone who only has pace, you just stand off a yard, Navas then try and beat you on the outside but there isn't the room to do that so he ends up smacking the ball straight against the defender or just running into a blind alley.

He actually has a decent cross when he has room and gets past his marker, but he's so poor from a stationary position. He's also quite lightweight so is brushed off the ball easily. He doesn't posses a goal threat either to make up for it.

He's good as we said at coming on in games, but we need someone who has his pace, but also the ability. Reus would be perfect.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Worst player in the squad. Utter rubbish.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:42 pm

AntMcfc wrote:Worst player in the squad. Utter rubbish.

Yep, he is worse than Sinclair.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Clowncrete wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:Worst player in the squad. Utter rubbish.

Yep, he is worse than Sinclair.

Not even Sinclair is worse than Sinclair.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm

I like him. Just because the rest of our players are still in their own half when he wants to cross the ball, you can't blame him for that.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:42 pm

I've seen him knock plenty of good crosses inside the off standing fullback.

Some of you are doing him an incredible disservice in this thread. Very poor in my opinion.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I like him. Just because the rest of our players are still in their own half when he wants to cross the ball, you can't blame him for that.

That's a great point. We are very slow to get bodies in the box, and not just when its Navas on the break.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I like him. Just because the rest of our players are still in their own half when he wants to cross the ball, you can't blame him for that.

Yes, you can. He shouldn't run into channels aimlessly. He should understand that his teammates don't want to sprint 50m to gamble on one of his crosses making it to them. We're a possession based side, and he's not a possession based player.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby kinkylola » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:07 pm

if we want him roasting full backs, we need to get him the ball earlier, further back on the pitch (ie move the ball out to him faster). This is simply not the way we play our attack the majority of the time. We first find yaya or silva. Sometimes they will play a quick ball to the wings, but for the most part they prefer to retain possession and develop the attack.

When navas receives the ball too far up the pitch, it's obvious what he wants to do: Shift the ball on to his right, dash to the byline and cross. His speed is the only reason this is even slighly effective. Closer to half-way he's a dangerous player with pace to burn. He is not a winger who cuts in and beats people on the dribble, he beats people with speed alone, and while his acceleration is also a huge part of his pace, we just aren't getting him the ball early enough for him to be effective at that game.

We would have to alter our plan to work that in, and while it would add another dimension to our attack, I think it would involve taking out one of yaya / silva. Personally, on the back of this season, I'd shift milner centrally and bench yaya. I think yaya is a much worse offender in terms of effort and slowing down play than silva, though both have had ups and downs this season. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base ... I think carrying 2 playmakers is hurting us in a lot of ways.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum