Navas

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:00 am

Slim wrote:Have you noticed how much he has quieted since Silva's return?

I like what you're saying.

Space.
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 am

Original Dub wrote:

Space.

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact we send everything through Yaya and Silva, so his opportunities on the ball are being limited and someone else mentioned roaming fullbacks which limit his isolation and space.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 am

Slim wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Space.

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact we send everything through Yaya and Silva, so his opportunities on the ball are being limited and someone else mentioned roaming fullbacks which limit his isolation and space.

That's the bit I don't like. Navas is better out wide than either of our right backs & I'd rather see him given priority to attack, them given priority to defend, with the fullback attacking as the surprise option, rather than the other way around.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am

Ted Hughes wrote: That's the bit I don't like. Navas is better out wide than either of our right backs & I'd rather see him given priority to attack, them given priority to defend, with the fullback attacking as the surprise option, rather than the other way around.

Against the rags, first half he spent most of the time covering any perceived threat from Evra and Young. He did it well, but there looked an opportunity to push them back like Kolarov was doing on the left. Second half, he went forward and Evra was nowhere near, leaving Fellaini trailing behind him leading to a goal.

He's worked hard and been good defensively, but we need to make more of him at the other end, even of that means Zabaleta having to stay back a bit.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Jesus is really coming into his own lately. Having looked a bit light weight at first he now makes a decisive contribution nearly every match. I haven't checked the stats but he must have a goal or assist in each of the last half dozen games he's played, including the precise pass for Dzeko today.

He still does the tracking back, has mostly cut out the Spanish style rolling around when tackled, seems to read the Beast's mind and is dangerous on the break away from opposition corners.

Now if he can just learn to shoot with his left foot.....
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beanieboy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Jesus is really coming into his own lately. Having looked a bit light weight at first he now makes a decisive contribution nearly every match. I haven't checked the stats but he must have a goal or assist in each of the last half dozen games he's played, including the precise pass for Dzeko today.

He still does the tracking back, has mostly cut out the Spanish style rolling around when tackled, seems to read the Beast's mind and is dangerous on the break away from opposition corners.

Now if he can just learn to shoot with his left foot.....

Wtf is an assist? Somebody that discriminates asses? Definitely not a term used in football.
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Beanieboy wrote: Wtf is an assist? Somebody that discriminates asses? Definitely not a term used in football.

Wrong thread
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Beanieboy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Beanieboy wrote: Wtf is an assist? Somebody that discriminates asses? Definitely not a term used in football.

Wrong thread

Never
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby nottsblue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:55 pm

gmercer1 wrote:What are people's thoughts on him up to now?

For me he is a good crosser of the ball but fir a winger he doesn't take the full back on half as much as I'd like to see. He seems to stop and pull the ball back in to midfield.

Thoughts?

Loving having a proper winger. Would like a bit more chalk on those jet heeled boots though, but am nit picking. Has a great rapport with Beast and Silva and Zabba,and is popping up in positions to score. Also does put a shift in and tracks back to help out in defence. A steal at £15m.
A final point: absolutely pisses all over Adam Johnson in all aspects of play. Long may it continue
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:07 pm

A Squawka thingy I saw earlier was claiming Navas had 97% pass success rate yesterday.

If that's true, it's incredible for a winger.

He should get a pay rise for that.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

There was an interesting one liner from Pellegrini a few weeks ago where he said they had been working on him making different types of run, presumably so he had more options. He said something like teams learnt how to handle him in the first few weeks so we are working on making different runs. Maybe he also meant other players making different runs for him.

Whatever it is seems to be paying off. According to OS, as well as his 4 goals, he has 9 A******.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Twobob » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Certainly improving as the season progresses - he gets stuck in defensive wise too, real team player.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby sheblue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Twobob wrote:Certainly improving as the season progresses - he gets stuck in defensive wise too, real team player.

At the start of the season he looked a bit of a one trick pony, but now we are seeing a lot more from him.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Twobob wrote:Certainly improving as the season progresses - he gets stuck in defensive wise too, real team player.

Yep. glad we signed him and . He's missing that something special to be truly world class imo but a very good player and hasn't faded at all when it came cold, rainy and all. Quite the opposite in fact as we've seen some brilliant stuff from him in the past few weeks.
Keep it up Jesus!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Crossie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:01 pm

He isn't doing anything wrong is he? We've got our lightning fast winger that we've all wanted for years. He is a fantastic signing and there is even more to come from him. Big issue for him to move abroad and it's his first season here, he's effective and works hard.

As said earlier, he's fitting into a system that sometimes calls for a cut inside or overlap pass. We all know he can beat a man and cross the ball if needed.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby ashton287 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

If we could get someone similar on the left aswell our plan b would be just as good as our plan a and we would win everything.
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I remember some on here saying how we didn't need a fast player and that he wouldn't be effective because teams sat back against us.

He's been marvelous recently, we've missed a player like him since Bellamy left. Someone who offers you out and out pace. Gives us a whole new element and not to mention his wonderful crossing ability too.

Getting better by the week.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I remember some on here saying how we didn't need a fast player and that he wouldn't be effective because teams sat back against us.

He's been marvelous recently, we've missed a player like him since Bellamy left. Someone who offers you out and out pace. Gives us a whole new element and not to mention his wonderful crossing ability too.

I'll hold my hand up and say that I didn't think that we would be able to utilise his strengths to the full against teams that park the bus. Navas has surprised me, though, and manages to be quite effective even against those sides. However, his best games have been against opponents that have a fair bit of possession, i.e. more open games where he's been given more space and able to use his speed more.

But all in all, he's been a great signing. I'm very happy with all our knew players, bar Jovetic, who's simply not played enough to be judged.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I remember some on here saying how we didn't need a fast player and that he wouldn't be effective because teams sat back against us.

I'll hold my hand up and say that I didn't think that we would be able to utilise his strengths to the full against teams that park the bus. Navas has surprised me, though, and manages to be quite effective even against those sides. However, his best games have been against opponents that have a fair bit of possession, i.e. more open games where he's been given more space and able to use his speed more.

But all in all, he's been a great signing. I'm very happy with all our knew players, bar Jovetic, who's simply not played enough to be judged.

Bridges' in "Some on here have said this or that" shocker. Start naming names or stop with the straw man argument techique. It's doing my head in! :)

I'm with the two of you though. He's given us a lot of pace and width and has finally given that right hand side some proper pace. Say what you will about Johnson but he wasn't the quickest. As with Silva, Navas quickly learned that lying down on the ground screaming won't give you many free kicks over here and thus he stopped it. I think Spanish players coming over here and adapting to the harsher climate and the less rewarding referees is a good indication that if we would just crack down on filming or plainly ignore it, it would die out instantly.

Navas is also a bit like Kolarov in the sense that they both are able to stand still, faced with an opponent, and will still be able to find a recipient for their cross. That is an impressive skill that should be highlighted and fits well with Ted's statistical find.

I would also say
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Not to mention he works hard for the team for the full 90 minutes. Quality player.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum