Navas

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Navas

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Hard to argue that the Newcastle game changed when he came on.
In the KDB thread people mentioned that even though Kevin has been good the squad also played well with Sterling & Navas on the wings. Given how unimpressive Sterling has been recently (not saying hes been shit but maybe he could due with a spell on the bench to rest and recoup like Joe last season) should KDB be on the left and Navas start on the right? Cant believe im saying it since he cant score and rarely beats the first man.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Hard to argue that the Newcastle game changed when he came on.
In the KDB thread people mentioned that even though Kevin has been good the squad also played well with Sterling & Navas on the wings. Given how unimpressive Sterling has been recently (not saying hes been shit but maybe he could due with a spell on the bench to rest and recoup like Joe last season) should KDB be on the left and Navas start on the right? Cant believe im saying it since he cant score and rarely beats the first man.

of course he should.

Sterling just became the new super sub in my eyes until we need to switch it up again. He needs to get his shooting boots on....unlike Navas, Sterling often finds himself in great position at least once many times twice a match where he should at *least* make the keeper work a lot harder if not outright score. Navas, for all of our criticisms of his goal shortage, isn't in the positions Sterling is.

If Sterling wants to matter to this team he is going to need to learn to be more deadly in front of goal. We can't afford both he and Navas incapable of netting a goal, and as it stands now Navas's workrate and focus coupled with Kev Breezy's versatility means that Sterling needs to have a seat and a rethink for a bit. No brainer for me.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:56 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Hard to argue that the Newcastle game changed when he came on.

of course he should.

Sterling just became the new super sub in my eyes until we need to switch it up again. He needs to get his shooting boots on....unlike Navas, Sterling often finds himself in great position at least once many times twice a match where he should at *least* make the keeper work a lot harder if not outright score. Navas, for all of our criticisms of his goal shortage, isn't in the positions Sterling is.

If Sterling wants to matter to this team he is going to need to learn to be more deadly in front of goal. We can't afford both he and Navas incapable of netting a goal, and as it stands now Navas's workrate and focus coupled with Kev Breezy's versatility means that Sterling needs to have a seat and a rethink for a bit. No brainer for me.

cheers

He also needs to learn how to control a fucking football. And find a teammate with a pass.

Think he will come good, but he looks hopelessly out of form atm and this might be knocking his confidence, making him even worse. Pelle has to weigh up whether benching him will shatter his confidence completely, or will keep on playing him and him performing badly in fact do more damage?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

of course he should.

cheers

He also needs to learn how to control a fucking football. And find a teammate with a pass.

Think he will come good, but he looks hopelessly out of form atm and this might be knocking his confidence, making him even worse. Pelle has to weigh up whether benching him will shatter his confidence completely, or will keep on playing him and him performing badly in fact do more damage?

it's really hard to say....what stunted SWP's growth? Was he just *at* his level at a team where he was "the man" and his odd goal in 4 matches and the brilliantly created near-misses or chances were great highlight reels that showed such promise which would never be fulfilled at the level or hype of the media or the fans?

Hard to say either way...i just hope he gets his shit together and becomes an amazing pro. 44M for potential isn't what we should be buying. I can't see how someone like Barker would be doing worse in the first team tbh. I expected a lot more from Sterling...he created space the first few matches and that's important because we've lacked it. Now he needs to take advantage of that space and matter.

cheers

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I thought Navas was right on it when he came on, the pass to KDB was his bench mark. Nice to see a player get his head down and play very well.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Navas has to start against Bournemouth and drop Sterling, thats if everyone comes back injury free which we all know wont happen. Dave always gets kicked
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Navas has had more than his fair share of criticism on here, much of it deserved, but in my opinion, a lot of it over the top.
There's no doubt for the likes of the West Ham game, he had us all tearing our hair out.
What I like about him is that we've never heard anything negative about him or from him, when he gets subbed, or benched.
He just tries to do better next time he gets the chance and that's exactly what he did on Saturday. He's a good pro and Sterling could and will learn a lot from his attitude and the rest of his teammates.
At the moment Navas looks more focused and retains the ball better. A rest with an arm around the shoulder mightn't do him any harm. He's young and he definitely is the future, but he has a bit to learn yet about how City play football and where his standing is.
He played very quick on the break with Sturridge and Suarez the year he broke into the Liverpool April title winning team.
It was a very different prospect though to what he is likely to face from here on in with City. 10 man defences and doubling up on marking are the norm.
I think he was great if not spectacular in the first month, but as teams see more of us and set up accordingly, he is going to have to learn to play one and two touch, to wear a team down before the killer pass.

I don't doubt, he'll be fine but his touch is off at the moment. He's no different than anyone else in the squad. We should play the player in form.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Only three things sterling needs to improve on to be world class are body strength and his finishing. Other is his confidence. Whenever he gets one on one you look at him and you know he's thinking "I'm gonna take you on here". But you look at aguero in the same position and he's already past that, he *knows* he's going to beat his man, his mind is already on taking the shot once he has. Sterling looks like he takes people on with that school boy hope of beating his man rather than knowing he's going to beat him. Aguero might lose the ball every other time he does, and we get annoyed he tried too much. But that confidence in themself makes players like aguero better than sterling.

If aguero, short little genius he is, can learn how to make his presence felt in strength, confidence and determination, sterling can. He's got everything in his locker to do it, he just hasnt worked out how. Playing for us though, I'm confident in time we'll see him turn into a holy shit did you see that type of player.

I think navas has all this, but he's got a limited skill set and technique isn't good enough to be put amongst the world's best. But that little fucker will take people on and have a pop with the best of them. He frustrates me sometimes navas, but I think he's a great player and compliments us well.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby blues2win » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Sterling is having to get to used to playing with better players and in a team where he has to play at a consistently high level to justify his place. He'll be fine but right now Navas on the Right and de Bruyne on the left with Silva in the middle looks our best bet. Navas frightens the life out of defenders; he just needs to play with his head up and he'll be an incredible threat. He's also exemplary in tracking back.

My worry is our defence. Pellegrini cannot afford the first half performances against West Ham and Newcastle to continue
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby phips » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 am

blues2win wrote:My worry is our defence. Pellegrini cannot afford the first half performances against West Ham and Newcastle to continue

needs to go Mangala and Marty and drop Otamendi.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:28 am

phips wrote:
blues2win wrote:My worry is our defence. Pellegrini cannot afford the first half performances against West Ham and Newcastle to continue

Really?

Demi has been getting burned and starting to look past it.

Thank goodness we have Otamendi.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Slim » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:05 am

Navas absolutely should not start. Are people under the impression he would have been as effective had he started the game? Newcastle worked their bollocks off in the first half and he got in and ran at tired legs. Maybe have Sterling and KDB switch it up during the game but Sterling/KDB's 1st half effort was as important as Navas' 2nd.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:28 am

Sterling was a passenger against Newcastle, devoid of confidence, weak on the ball and sloppy. He was quite rightly substituted at half time. Navas for all his past frustrations ran with confidence got behind their defence and contributed well. Hopefully the competition will be good for both of them. If either of them are failing to deliver they need to know they will be hauled off. Top club's need mentally strong players, who can deliver under pressure.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 am

Slim wrote:Navas absolutely should not start. Are people under the impression he would have been as effective had he started the game? Newcastle worked their bollocks off in the first half and he got in and ran at tired legs. Maybe have Sterling and KDB switch it up during the game but Sterling/KDB's 1st half effort was as important as Navas' 2nd.

If it was my choice. I would CERTAINLY start Navas over sterling. Sterling has been appalling lately.
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:30 am

phips wrote:

Now you are taking the piss.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 am

Plain Speaking wrote:Sterling was a passenger against Newcastle, devoid of confidence, weak on the ball and sloppy. He was quite rightly substituted at half time. Navas for all his past frustrations ran with confidence got behind their defence and contributed well. Hopefully the competition will be good for both of them. If either of them are failing to deliver they need to know they will be hauled off. Top club's need mentally strong players, who can deliver under pressure.

More concisely put than me, but exactly my point. If competition make Navas play the way he did, then the same should go for Sterling.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:57 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:Navas absolutely should not start. Are people under the impression he would have been as effective had he started the game? Newcastle worked their bollocks off in the first half and he got in and ran at tired legs. Maybe have Sterling and KDB switch it up during the game but Sterling/KDB's 1st half effort was as important as Navas' 2nd.

If it was my choice. I would CERTAINLY start Navas over sterling. Sterling has been appalling lately.

Brothers from another mother. I'd have Navas over Sterling all day until someone proves that thesis wrong. Kev on the left and bob's yr uncle.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby PrezIke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:11 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Brothers from another mother. I'd have Navas over Sterling all day until someone proves that thesis wrong. Kev on the left and bob's yr uncle.

cheers

Ring me back when sterling is 100% fit.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:19 pm

PrezIke wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

cheers

if his issues are somewhat fitness related, then fair enough. I'm not writing the kid off by any means at all.

What manager, with the players at our disposal, selects a player that's not fit tho to start matches?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:25 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

cheers

if his issues are somewhat fitness related, then fair enough. I'm not writing the kid off by any means at all.

What manager, with the players at our disposal, selects a player that's not fit tho to start matches?

cheers

Come on Doomy. Pellers has a history of doing it with Kompany, Silva, Yaya and Sergio.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum