Pellegrini Satisfometer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How satisfied are you with Pellegrini's work to date?

Highly satisfied
41%
Satisfied
24%
Neither satisfied nor particularly dissatisfied
8%
Dissatisfied
12%
Highly dissatisfied
15%

Total votes : 195

Re: Pellegrini Satisfometer

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:42 am

I went for satisfied.

I think Pellegrini has been dealt a strange hand by Huey Lewis and the News in the sense that they overstrengthened the attack while not strengthening the defence at all or very little. And then they let Gareth Barry go. Our team, both our defence and our attack needed Barry. Silva was a much better player with Barry in the team than he ever was when Barry was left out. For example. And the powers that be also didn't adress the leadership situation. We've been solely reliant on Kompany for a while now and as soon as he goes out injured we lose a notion of backbone on the field and we lose points in the league table. This should have been adressed as well, however you adress that type of issue

Considering these problems that Pellegrini was left to deal with and the tricky fixtures we've had, the count has done enough to leave me satisfied but worried. If he doesn't adress the fact that 4-4-2 doesn't work at the moment, I'll slipp down into the dissatisfied category.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:I am very dissatisfied and that is probably putting it mildly. Not for the poor performances as such but more for the sense that Pelligrini said he knew the Prem during pre-season. I thought it was a really stupid thing to say then, now I think it shows both an arrogance and some severe underestimation.

My thoughts at the moment is that there is only Kidd that actually knows the Prem, the two ex-barca dweebs don't, Pelligrini doesn't and none of his staff do.
They need to wise up and show some humility and respect for other teams tenacity otherwise this is going to turn into a long and hard season very quickly.
We can all see what is wrong cos we know what to be expecting from other prem teams and we know who doesn't provide cover. If we know then so do other managers. City are sitting ducks until Pelligrini and the rest of them wise up.

My problem with him is that he's changed too many things too quickly & it's led to confusion. It may be that he has to simplify it.

Well that is basically saying the same thing... the lack of appreciation of the tenacity of teams in the prem has allowed him to try changing too much at once.
I am not interested in comparing him to Mancini.
His purchases are fine, I like them and they look like players suited enough to flourish in English football.

So it isn't the players it is how he is going about it that is the issue for me, as it appears it is for you too.
As I say he needs to wise up quick as basically he has underestimated Prem style of play and it is quite obvious.
Letting Barry go was a sign of this lack of understanding, there was just no need for it and he could have done a good job especially in providing a model for continuity while other players and systems get sorted out.
In the short term he has created his own problems. I am sure he will sort it, 100% sure. But again when it was declared that there would be a pressing game implemented my immediate reaction was; that will take quite some time to get right and will be pretty messy while they sort it ( so employing a dedicated DM to mop up the many mistakes that would be par for the course, would make a lot of sense for the first quarter of the season at least).
Maybe he has a progressive plan and we are just witnessing a wobbly start to it, I hope so but it doesn't look like it to me.

Conversely to all that I rekon City will be fine in the CL for numerous reasons, the main one being that the pace and rhythm is different and City will go into games with a totally different mindset of respect first.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am

Both dis- and un- for me. Explain the distinction again deep vein will you.

Let's see what happens this week but the only momentum I've seen so far is backwards.

Excited by Newcastle performance but last year was even better. They made us look like Barcelona and kept eleven on the park.
Otherwise it's looked frankly chaotic.
Too much of what we had got right has been unpicked and too little of what was promised has been delivered. Early days I know, but disappointing.
We've had spine surgery on a slight back strain and are having a longer convalescence than we should have needed.

Let's hope that is a temporary issue.
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:59 am

Socrates wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:I am very dissatisfied and that is probably putting it mildly. Not for the poor performances as such but more for the sense that Pelligrini said he knew the Prem during pre-season. I thought it was a really stupid thing to say then, now I think it shows both an arrogance and some severe underestimation.

My thoughts at the moment is that there is only Kidd that actually knows the Prem, the two ex-barca dweebs don't, Pelligrini doesn't and none of his staff do.
They need to wise up and show some humility and respect for other teams tenacity otherwise this is going to turn into a long and hard season very quickly.
We can all see what is wrong cos we know what to be expecting from other prem teams and we know who doesn't provide cover. If we know then so do other managers. City are sitting ducks until Pelligrini and the rest of them wise up.

He said that? Damn, talk about a hostage to fortune. No wonder his awakening has been so rude.

Said it in two different interviews I saw, so maybe even more. So he actually meant it. I thought him a dick for saying that before he had even a game under his belt. It shows his arrogance overrides his caution; A better reaction to being questioned about his experience would be to say that he had a lot to learn.
He needs to reign that part of his mind in until he knows what he is doing a bit more, or it will undermine him even more than it has so far.

If I were an oppo manager I would have that clip playing on a constant loop in the dressing room before kick off. There is not a lot better than a new guy coming in saying he knows everything to motivate proving him wrong!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:05 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

My problem with him is that he's changed too many things too quickly & it's led to confusion. It may be that he has to simplify it.

Well that is basically saying the same thing... the lack of appreciation of the tenacity of teams in the prem has allowed him to try changing too much at once.
His purchases are fine, I like them and they look like players suited enough to flourish in English football.

So it isn't the players it is how he is going about it that is the issue for me, as it appears it is for you too.
As I say he needs to wise up quick as basically he has underestimated Prem style of play and it is quite obvious.
Letting Barry go was a sign of this lack of understanding, there was just no need for it and he could have done a good job especially in providing a model for continuity while other players and systems get sorted out.
In the short term he has created his own problems. I am sure he will sort it, 100% sure. But again when it was declared that there would be a pressing game implemented my immediate reaction was; that will take quite some time to get right and will be pretty messy while they sort it ( so employing a dedicated DM to mop up the many mistakes that would be par for the course, would make a lot of sense for the first quarter of the season at least).
Maybe he has a progressive plan and we are just witnessing a wobbly start to it, I hope so but it doesn't look like it to me.

Conversely to all that I rekon City will be fine in the CL for numerous reasons, the main one being that the pace and rhythm is different and City will go into games with a totally different mindset of respect first.

I agree with pretty much all of that, except I've no idea how we will go in the Champs Lg.

But I don't put it down to lack of understanding of the league, just the fact that he has decided to go for it, in his own way. Perhaps Tricky & Co have given him leeway to do so ?

At his age, he probably thinks he has one chance to put his philosophy into practice & he is going to get on with it whether we like it or not, as Mancini did when he arrived.

In the end, if we have put in a good challenge by the end of the season, then I'm sure he will get another crack at it. Loads will want him sacking if the rags beat us, but they beat us once last season, once the season before & once the season before that, so it won't be such a big thing to the bosses. If we fall apart, they will probably fire him before Christmas but if we stay thereabouts, I recon they will let him get on with it, assuming that he will sort it for next season.

I think that his philosophy is the same as Tricky's, just his formation is different.

If he goes, I recon another bloke will come in & basically try to achieve the same kind of outcome.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm currently in the dissatisfied camp (though not overly worried) but obviously that can chance quickly if we start to look like a team that is playing well and/or improving. Currently we are just poor and I cannot be satisfied with that. more worried about the performances than results tbh and a scrappy win over utd next wkd would not yet put me into satisfied camp.

but in my opinion there should be 'on the fence' option...
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby blue wine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm

tactically outplayed by cardiff stoke and very lucky against hull

not good enough
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

As the question was quite specific to the present, I am deeply un/dissatisfied with our performances. How much of that is directly attributable to Pellergrini is however another matter. In the past, managers have had almost total control and we always knew where to point the finger. What we don't know is what is down to Pellergrini and how much influence Pixie or Dixie have had and how much they may/may not be pulling at least some strings.

My vote is very un/dissatisfied, though I'm not wholly certain how much blame lies on Pellergrini's shoulders.

Regarding the sitting 4th with GD and clean sheets, that may be well and good but Newcastle apart, our performances versus Cardiff, Hull and Stoke have been abysmal. A different fixture list may not have reaped the same rewards.

I can only hope that injuries mend, players get the gist, new players gel quickly and performances improve. I am optimistic, but not sure why. I haven't seen anything that should make me so yet....Her's to hope and blind faith.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I agree with pretty much all of that, except I've no idea how we will go in the Champs Lg.

But I don't put it down to lack of understanding of the league, just the fact that he has decided to go for it, in his own way. Perhaps Tricky & Co have given him leeway to do so ?

At his age, he probably thinks he has one chance to put his philosophy into practice & he is going to get on with it whether we like it or not, as Mancini did when he arrived.

In the end, if we have put in a good challenge by the end of the season, then I'm sure he will get another crack at it. Loads will want him sacking if the rags beat us, but they beat us once last season, once the season before & once the season before that, so it won't be such a big thing to the bosses. If we fall apart, they will probably fire him before Christmas but if we stay thereabouts, I recon they will let him get on with it, assuming that he will sort it for next season.

I think that his philosophy is the same as Tricky's, just his formation is different.

If he goes, I recon another bloke will come in & basically try to achieve the same kind of outcome.

For what it is worth I am confident he will get the team set up how he wants and playing how he wants and I don't think we will fall apart at all.
The deal for me is that as opposed to previous seasons Pell hasn't needed to build the team up to top level, they already were. So the real issue for me is how clever is he if he decided wholesale changes in one go would not have a backwards drag.
Surely the aim of any game is to set up the team to get a result, in City's case a win. By not realising that Yaya and Fernando would not cover he has thrown the team into disarray and thrown points away.
Now my point is that there was no reason to do that, he should have just started by changing from zonal and not then asked for the defence to operate a sweeping system as well. Or kept the zonal while they got used to having no DM, then changed from zonal once they got bedded in.

Too much too quick is a disrespect to the other teams in the prem and we have looked exactly like a side that is playing cup games versus lower league underdogs, underestimating the oppo and believing your own superiority.

At least Bob had the presence to start with the defence and only the defence and slowly work out from there.

You know that I am not coming from an anti Pellers position or a regret Mancini going position. We needed to move on and I think this guy will do well, I like him but it doesn't stop me stating the bloody obvious.

By the way other managers will already know what he has cocked up, just as we do, so it is leaving us prone and easy to attack until it gets sorted. He needs to throw another Mid in there until the rest get familiar with the system ( presumably they should all be closing down in harmony right from the front ).
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Tim777 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

john68 wrote:As the question was quite specific to the present, I am deeply un/dissatisfied with our performances. How much of that is directly attributable to Pellergrini is however another matter. In the past, managers have had almost total control and we always knew where to point the finger. What we don't know is what is down to Pellergrini and how much influence Pixie or Dixie have had and how much they may/may not be pulling at least some strings.

My vote is very un/dissatisfied, though I'm not wholly certain how much blame lies on Pellergrini's shoulders.

Regarding the sitting 4th with GD and clean sheets, that may be well and good but Newcastle apart, our performances versus Cardiff, Hull and Stoke have been abysmal. A different fixture list may not have reaped the same rewards.

I can only hope that injuries mend, players get the gist, new players gel quickly and performances improve. I am optimistic, but not sure why. I haven't seen anything that should make me so yet....Her's to hope and blind faith.

Nail on head! I agree with absolutely everything you say.
The question is, can anyone on this forum without a shadow of a doubt attest to know what is, from team selection to strategy to buying, selling and loaning of players, attributed to Pellegrini and what is attributed to the duo of elves behind the scenes looking all squeaky clean and blameless?
Very dissatisfied with our performances so far but I'll reserve my judgement w.r.t. Pellegrini until it becomes clear as to predominately whose fault it is, if or when all goes south.
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Tim777 wrote:
john68 wrote:As the question was quite specific to the present, I am deeply un/dissatisfied with our performances. How much of that is directly attributable to Pellergrini is however another matter. In the past, managers have had almost total control and we always knew where to point the finger. What we don't know is what is down to Pellergrini and how much influence Pixie or Dixie have had and how much they may/may not be pulling at least some strings.

Nail on head! I agree with absolutely everything you say.
The question is, can anyone on this forum without a shadow of a doubt attest to know what is, from team selection to strategy to buying, selling and loaning of players, attributed to Pellegrini and what is attributed to the duo of elves behind the scenes looking all squeaky clean and blameless?
Very dissatisfied with our performances so far but I'll reserve my judgement w.r.t. Pellegrini until it becomes clear as to predominately whose fault it is, if or when all goes south.

Put it this way it is extremely doubtful that the Spafia are in any way controlling the selection for matches or roles that players are asked to perform. At best they would have an outline agreement with Pelligrini ( based on likemindedness rather than anything else ) that states the longer term aim of a general playing ethos. They my have all decided Barry was superfluous to that and so have all been wrong in the short term.
Pellegrini is responsible game by game for who is on the pitch and what they are supposed to be doing.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Tim777 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Pellegrini is responsible game by game for who is on the pitch and what they are supposed to be doing.

In all likelihood, yes, but do you know this for sure?
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Tim777 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

In all likelihood, yes, but do you know this for sure?

What?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Socrates » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Let's hope we see something tonight that can take us all back to being more optimistic, debating who is making what decision is a bit pointless. Pellegrini has clearly been brought in to implement the DoF's strategy. Whether that strategy is correct for the Prem is all we should really be concerned with. If it isn't then the DoF has to adjust things at a macro level and Pellegrini at a micro level. Where one's decision making ends and the other's starts is of no real consequence.
Last edited by Socrates on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Socrates wrote:Let's hope we see something tonight that can take us all back to being more optimistic, debating who is making what decision is a bit pointless. Pellegrini has clearly been brought in to implement the DoF's strategy. Whether that strategy is correct for the Prem is all we should rally be concerned with. If it isn't then the DoF has to adjust things at a macro level and Pellegrini at a micro level. Where one's decision making ends and the other's starts is of no real consequence.

Always the concern ;-)
Original Dub

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Any twitch upwards on the satisfometer?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby mr_nool » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm changing my vote to -tisfied. Will add a prefix after the Derbyshire.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 pm

You need to change this so we can be revisionary.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 pm

No change as yet, as although he pushed Yaya up and that made a difference generally the real change in that game was Komps clearance to Kun, great work and the pass. Pilsner really collapsed after that.

I need to see that Pell is serious about sorting out the Yaya/Fernandino problem properly in the league against aggressive oppo; well any oppo actually.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:19 pm

brite blu sky wrote:No change as yet, as although he pushed Yaya up and that made a difference generally the real change in that game was Komps clearance to Kun, great work and the pass. Pilsner really collapsed after that.

I need to see that Pell is serious about sorting out the Yaya/Fernandino problem properly in the league against aggressive oppo; well any oppo actually.

It just looks like we need one more player in there to me. We look like England v Germany when we lose the ball.

Ok, tbf, against the Stokes etc we are technically looking 100% for 3 points, so gambling with the midfield is probably fair enough even if it doesn't work, but against the better teams, we will be a man short. Sort that & we may be close.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum