New York City FC - It's Official!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby kinkylola » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:
Tell me all about these wonderful academies in England. They must produce the worlds best footballers since everyone in England loves football.

Last time I checked the last time the two countries met I recall the American players more than held their own then topped the group with England in it.

Always amuses me how insecure europeans are about Americans getting good at football.

Let's be honest, the Americans were under intense pressure in that game and would've been thankful it was only 1-0 had Rob Green never howled. You really hate England, don't you?

England hasn't produced many world-class players in the last 20 years, but there have been hundreds of good Premier League players. In that same period of time, the US has brought through about 30 players who can/could/would've cut it at PL level.

look ... obviously US soccer is no where near as developed as England. Congrats, we've had a serious pro league since 94-95.

But if your metric for a successful program is that England put us under intense pressure and "should have" won, then I don't think you're having the right conversation.

The USA is no powerhouse, we have a horrible youth system, mediocre league at best and as you say only around 30 players that could/would/do make a difference in the prem. Still, we can hang with the big boys.

I wouldn't get all high and mighty about England's "PL quality players" ... after all, I'd take quite a few off the US squad depth chart before calling up Danny Welbeck, and your last competitive result was 1 - 1 Montengro.

Now, I can imagine City coming in and developing something really special that will be good for City ... and it will be good for US talent development in general. Exciting times.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 am

kinkylola wrote:I wouldn't get all high and mighty about England's "PL quality players"

I didn't, did I? You fucking cabbage.

Ross was intimating that the US were a better side than England in 2010 and have got better players. They weren't, and haven't. Other than that I was largely bemoaning our ability to bring through world-class talent. Lots of very good players, few exceptional ones. Not good enough for a football-loving country of our size in international terms.

I don't know or care about the US youth system.

EDIT: I retract the 'You fucking cabbage' part. Bit unnecessary.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 am

kinkylola wrote:
look ... obviously US soccer is no where near as developed as England. Congrats, we've had a serious pro league since 94-95.

But if your metric for a successful program is that England put us under intense pressure and "should have" won, then I don't think you're having the right conversation.

The USA is no powerhouse, we have a horrible youth system, mediocre league at best and as you say only around 30 players that could/would/do make a difference in the prem. Still, we can hang with the big boys.

I wouldn't get all high and mighty about England's "PL quality players" ... after all, I'd take quite a few off the US squad depth chart before calling up Danny Welbeck, and your last competitive result was 1 - 1 Montengro.

Now, I can imagine City coming in and developing something really special that will be good for City ... and it will be good for US talent development in general. Exciting times.

You also have 300 million people compared to about 50 million, so would stand a chance if kids took it seriously. That said, China and India could be the best if they did.

England as a team are pretty poor and that's got less to do with the academies and more to do with what happens to kids up to 11. The academies are starting to produce some good players, but a lot aren't English - just look at City's.

English football is in a state because the FA preferred to spend £800m on a shiny stadium on an industrial estate than give the money to youth teams so that they could play on grass rather than boggy marshes covered in dog shit.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
Tell me all about these wonderful academies in England. They must produce the worlds best footballers since everyone in England loves football.

Last time I checked the last time the two countries met I recall the American players more than held their own then topped the group with England in it.

Always amuses me how insecure europeans are about Americans getting good at football.

As opposed to Scotland, which is a shining beacon of what a country can achieve
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 am

Saul Goodman wrote:2. Who said anything about England?

Nobody until Ross piped up. You'll soon find that he's able to crowbar an anti-English comment into almost any thread!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:Ross was intimating that the US were a better side than England in 2010 and have got better players.

I must've missed that.

He's partly right tho, nearly every discussion about US football/soccer on here seems to turn hostile after a few replies. But I don't think it's Europeans in general that are insecure, I've never heard anyone but British people belittle the American national team in a similar way. The MLS, fair enough, most of the American posters on here will agree it's a crap standard overall, but the national team, not so much.

Also, Danny Welbeck.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

I Just Blue Myself wrote:
I must've missed that.

He's partly right tho, nearly every discussion about US football/soccer on here seems to turn hostile after a few replies. But I don't think it's Europeans in general that are insecure, I've never heard anyone but British people belittle the American national team in a similar way. The MLS, fair enough, most of the American posters on here will agree it's a crap standard overall, but the national team, not so much.

Also, Danny Welbeck.

I've nothing against the US or its football. My wife is American, I (sort of) support a team in the MLS and I'll probably be living over there within the next two years.

But the US didn't 'more than hold their own' against England in 2010. They were under pressure all game, were belting the ball as far as possible every time they could get a foot on it, and scored perhaps the shittest freak goal ever seen at a major tournament (thanks Rob Green). They did defend well, though.

England are nowhere near as good as we should be, but we're still streets ahead of the US in terms of technical ability and producing players who can cut it in the world's top leagues. This will probably change over the next fifty years, but I don't go in for speculation.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Wed May 22, 2013 11:20 am

I don't really give a crap about anything that's been debated in this thread, however the Yankees are the right choice for a partner, if anyone gives us a shot at cracking the US market, it's them. The filth have tried for years to turn the US to their ends and failed a lot, I think this is more innovative than anything they'd thought of.

Oh, and the US produced some very good keepers over the past 20 years.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CTID Hants » Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Having briefly read some of the posts in this thread and having looked on Wiki (yeah I know but it was convenient) I can only see this as a good thing for us.

Football is currently the third most PLAYED team sport in the US with over 13 million playing.

It will give me something to keep an eye on follow over the summer months when our season is closed.

Potentially a lot of City fans worldwide will now take an interest in NYCFC & the MLS in general, which could raise the profile of the league?

If the current academy system is pay per play i.e no college grants like in the other major US sports?

Then this means it is only open to the financially secure families & assuming that City will actually fund the players through it's new academy this should open it up to those who could not afford to progress in football.

In 2010, there were 16.4 million kids who fell into the "poor" category according to national statisitcs, that's a lot of kids to pick from IMO. I thought we had already opened a series of academies in the US over the last 4 years??

I have no idea if it will also potentially open up routes from central American countries, Caribbean, Bahamas, Canada etc etc?? (might of just said American continent), not just for kids going to academies, it also be a get round on Visa's? NYCFC buy them and loan to us with out needing a European/Uk visa? OK, so this could be stretching the potentials too far!!

Yeah yeah, we all know "women's footie" is bigger in the US, so think about the potential for Manchester City Ladies team? Having just got themselves to the Women's Super League 1, would it not benefit the whole club to exploit the connection further with FIFA's top ranked ladies country?

OK so some of you have a downer on the MLS & to be honest I haven't bothered with until now BUT I can only see benefits from this and as I said earlier it would be nice if we can use it to fuck over Platini and his bent cartel the fookin then even better.

All in all though this is all part of the Sheikhs planes to make us a global brand by long term investment.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby xavi6 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm

First member of the front office being announced in the next half hour. You can watch it on the OS -

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... rence-live

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Garry Cook?
Claudio Reyna?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Reyna named director of football.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby xavi6 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Good call on Claudio Reyna.

xavi6

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 pm

xavi6 wrote:Good call on Claudio Reyna.

Complete guess!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby craigmcfc » Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 pm

xavi6 wrote:Good call on Claudio Reyna.

Yeah it really is, nice touch.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 pm

craigmcfc wrote:

Oh, I thought he was talking to me!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby craigmcfc » Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Hal Steinbrenner looks a lot like Marwood. Did a double take then.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby craigmcfc » Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

I think he was ;-)
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Postby xavi6 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:19 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

I think he was ;-)

I wasn't but let him have his moment, it was a great shout! :p

xavi6

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed May 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Great appointment! American who surely knows his onions about football in US, former City player & Captain, makes perfect sense to me
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum