New York City FC - It's Official!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby AG7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:04 pm

It's official now ...

City and Yankees launch NYC FC!

Manchester City Football Club are proud to announce, in partnership with the New York Yankees, the acquisition of the Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion club.

The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and expects to begin play in 2015.

“We proudly welcome two of the most prestigious professional global sports organizations to Major League Soccer,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country. The New York area is home to more than 19 million people­, and we look forward to an intense crosstown rivalry between New York City Football Club and the New York Red Bulls that will captivate this great city.”

“New York is a legendary sports town, as well as a thriving global city with a rapidly expanding soccer fan-base,” said Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City Football Club, who will oversee the process of filling top New York City FC leadership positions in the weeks to come.

“We are thrilled to contribute to the energy and growth of New York City Soccer. In the Yankees, we have found the absolute best partner for developing a world-class sports organization and a winning team that will carry the New York City Football Club name with pride.”

Manchester City will be the majority owner of the new Club. As an investor, the Yankees will be an active member of the ownership group. The New York Yankees and Manchester City Football Club have an existing commercial relationship through Legends Hospitality, LLC, an international entertainment, hospitality and marketing organization.

Yankee Stadium is pleased to be hosting Manchester City on Saturday, May 25 for a “friendly” match against Chelsea FC, giving New York area fans a rare opportunity to see two outstanding English Premier League clubs up close.

“We are pleased to be associated with this major move by MLS to increase its presence in the New York market and to enhance the opportunity for New York soccer fans to enjoy high-level play in their own city. We look forward to the opportunity to work with Manchester City to create something very special for the soccer fans of New York -- and to bringing another terrific team to this city for all sports fans to enjoy,” said Hal Steinbrenner, managing general partner of the New York Yankees.

"Randy Levine, president of the New York Yankees, will be the point person in leading the effort to launch and establish the team on behalf of the organization,” Mr Steinbrenner added.

With millions of residents watching soccer every week and nearly two million people actively playing the game, the New York/New Jersey area is one of North America’s most vibrant and proud soccer communities. The region has filled stadiums for countless marquee soccer events including the 1994 FIFA Men’s World Cup, the 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup, three MLS All-Star Games and numerous international exhibition matches. NYCFC becomes the first MLS club whose home will be located within the five boroughs, joining the Red Bulls as the second MLS club in the metropolitan area.

“Soccer is one of the world’s most exciting and popular sports, and it should be played on the world’s biggest stage -- in New York City,” said Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. “New Yorkers are the greatest sports fans in the world, and they will welcome a Major League Soccer franchise with the full-throated and loyal support they are famous for. Manchester City has a great reputation for both winning teams and serious community investment, and that will help them fit in well with the excellent leadership of New York City’s other professional sports teams. Increasingly, sports events and activities -- from the NHL playoffs to the MLB All-Star game to the SuperBowl -- are spurring economic growth, as our investments in new arenas and infrastructure are paying off.”

Future: A Home Field for NYC’s Newest Team

New York City FC is committed to seeking a new permanent stadium in New York. Until that time, the new team is arranging to play in an interim home beginning in its inaugural MLS season in 2015. Over the past year, MLS began discussions with the City of New York and other stakeholders about the possibility of constructing a new stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park (FMCP) in Queens. The Club’s new management will continue these discussions with local government officials, community residents and businesses, soccer leagues, and MLS. The Club will continue to review other potential sites as well.

“New York City FC will have a permanent home in the City in the great traditions of New York sports and world soccer -- a home that must be a sports, commercial and civic success,” Soriano said.

“But in considering any stadium site, we will listen first. This is what we have always done in Manchester and what we will do in New York. Only in this way, can the Club truly represent the City whose name it will carry.”

MLS was advised by Joe Ravitch and the Raine Group on this transaction.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... nch-21-May
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Re: New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby AG7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:08 pm

So Abu Dhabi United Group or Sheikh Mansour are not the owner, but MCFC is the majority stakeholder ... and the colour is Sky Blue ... they have just created a new Twitter account for it as well: @nycfc

And just like in Manchester, New York City FC will have local rivals (the New York Red Bulls) that don't actually play in the city itself ;)
Last edited by AG7 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 pm

As long as it brings more money into our club long term and beats the old FFP, I am all for this!

CTID!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 21, 2013 3:11 pm

yee ha!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby craigmcfc » Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Always a place I've wanted to visit, this is an added incentive. Sounds like a good move all round by City.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm

waste of money, imo, but time will tell.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby simon12 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Blue Blood wrote:As long as it brings more money into our club long term and beats the old FFP, I am all for this!

CTID!

Beat me to it. The owner can pump what he wants into this and make it turn a profit as long as we own it its our profit.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby aaron bond » Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Not sure what to make of this. My immediate concern is that potential funds put aside for us by the Sheikh will now be diverted to this new side. Furthermore, if we're the majority shareholder, we'll be using some of our own money too.

I'm assuming we believe the exposure, plus working with the Yankees, will cause our own revenue to soar. I hope that's the case.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Oli » Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

big question of course is the kit - sky blue nike, or pin stripe puma?
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Hazy2 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Tony Pullis as Manager we're gonna win the fucking league.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Bling bling innit

Im glad theyre calling it a Football Club and not a Soccer Club.
Last edited by Lee_R on Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Blue Oli wrote:big question of course is the kit - sky blue nike, or pin stripe puma?

roca wear
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby AG7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Blue Oli wrote:big question of course is the kit - sky blue nike, or pin stripe puma?

If you want to take a hint from their new twitter and facebook accounts, it's Sky Blue!
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby AG7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm

AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wooders » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm

They are signing cavani, falcoa, bale and isco and loaning them to us for free!
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm

This is not good. I have a fear that this team is not going to be welled supported. There was a backlash when Chivas launched a second team in L.A. They don't get very much support and there has been constant talk of moving the team and rebranding. I think the same thing could happen with NYCFC add in that the Yankees are part owners. They are known as the Evil Empire over here. They are the most hated team in the country. They are the baseball version of the rags.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm

We have outdone everyone else..again. This is great news imo and will put us in good stead to crack the difficult football marketing machine over there.

Excellente !
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby AG7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 pm

And the New York City FC has their own website as well.
It looks a little like another site I see every day though ... http://www.nycfc.com/
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Not really a big question. Adidas is the kit supplier. Sports in America are done differently. Kits/jerseys are not down with the individual teams but the league.

MLS - Adidas
NFL - Nike
NBA - Adidas
MLB - Majestic (jerseys) New Era (caps)
NHL - Reebok
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:We have outdone everyone else..again. This is great news imo and will put us in good stead to crack the difficult football marketing machine over there.

Excellente !

There is more that can go wrong with this than good.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum