New York City FC - It's Official!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:28 pm

usedtothespin wrote:So far there has only been one real NYC football club: The Mo's - New York Cosmos!

They will play in the NASL next year, from Hofstra University. Great history: Pele, Cruijff (nearly, but still), Beckenbauer etc. And a real city team.

The Cosmo's are playing in the NASL this year. They are playing during the fall season. Because the Cosmo's couldn't put a team together NASL went to a split season format to accommodate them. There will be a spring season and a fall season. The league leader in each of the two seasons with play in the championship game. If the same team wins both seasons then the team with the second best overall record for the entire year will play in the championship.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Mase wrote:Didn't realise we had so many glory supporting yanks on the board!

Also, I couldn't give a fuck what we do in America as long as it benefits City and fucks over the FFP wankers.

*ticks this box*
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: David White

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Lee_R wrote:Im glad theyre calling it a Football Club and not a Soccer Club.

good point!

but, can somebody please explain why did we do it and what's in it for Manchester City Football Club?
Are we trying to make money out of this? if yes, how. are MLS clubs making lot of profit? if it's not the money, what? fame? place to loan youngsters? I can't get my head around this whole thing yet tbh with the facts I've seen

Greater exposure to the US market is my guess. Loaning youngsters isn't an option unless 3 were DP's otherwise they would go into the draft and could end up at any team in the league.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby zuricity » Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 pm

BobbyJ1956 wrote:All day long. 100%.

got to admit , i would prefer the mets. i followed what the mets did since the early eighties 'BBB' he he!
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby mr_nool » Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Meh.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Article in the NY Times.. comments are worth reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sport ... ref=sports
Lee_R

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue May 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Woo hoo! Hell yeah ! Go Citys!

Let's get fat.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Londonblue » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Just pleased that City have realised I can't get to games very easily now, so have started a new team right here.

"City, City, the only soccer team to come from Manhattan"

I'll get me coat...
A woman walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre - so the barman gives her one
Londonblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby zuricity » Tue May 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Londonblue wrote:Just pleased that City have realised I can't get to games very easily now, so have started a new team right here.

"City, City, the only soccer team to come from Manhattan"

I'll get me coat...

i think you are confusing the Queens on Bleeker , with Queens the Borough, or should i say Boro ?
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby andeez nutz » Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm

its a good move for the MLS.
getting that 20th team is huge.

splash the cash over here and get some washed up players..

the philly union are shit so i'll become a supporter of nycfc.

i dont think it matters what baseball team they are with..yankees/mets/birds/phillies...
as soon as they start playing games, nobody will care
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm

andeez nutz wrote:the philly union are shit so i'll become a supporter of nycfc.

Blimey
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby craigmcfc » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I've always wanted an alternative team to play on FIFA too, a club in a different league. Cheers City.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 pm

hope [strike]Puma[/strike] Umbro do their shirts

edit: adidas do all the MLS don't they? What's that about
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby CTID Hants » Tue May 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I haven't read all the posts here, perhaps Jamiemcfc or one of the other American posters can in layman's terms and not Sodding abbreviationscan explain the MLS ? As I for one don't have a clue. I am intrigued to know if NYCFC will be in a position to buy world class players and then put them on loan to us as means to fuck over the FFP for example? Or does sheikh mansour have ideas of money laundering it being home to the US mafia LOL ;-)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Didn't rags have some sort of partnership agreement wit Yankees in place? I'm pretty sure they did.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Green & Blue » Tue May 21, 2013 7:39 pm

CTID Hants wrote:I haven't read all the posts here, perhaps Jamiemcfc or one of the other American posters can in layman's terms and not Sodding abbreviationscan explain the MLS ? As I for one don't have a clue. I am intrigued to know if NYCFC will be in a position to buy world class players and then put them on loan to us as means to fuck over the FFP for example? Or does sheikh mansour have ideas of money laundering it being home to the US mafia LOL ;-)

This should help http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/201 ... about-majo
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm

zuricity wrote:
BobbyJ1956 wrote:All day long. 100%.

got to admit , i would prefer the mets. i followed what the mets did since the early eighties 'BBB' he he!

Yeah, what Mookie Wilson did in '86 was like Agueroooo in 2012, and I saw both!
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

More...

"This is not a marketing gimmick," City chief executive Ferran Soriano said in a conference call on Tuesday. "This is about developing a team that will play very good football and will have a chance to win."

Soriano said it wasn't a mistake to award Mancini a new five-year contract after City won the Premier League title in May 2012, ending the team's 44-year English title drought.

"We don't think we are under any instability," Soriano said. "We are changing the manager as it happens in other clubs. We feel confident that we will have a good manager and a very good team next year. And I don't think anybody made a mistake on this. It's just, as normally as it happens in football, time to change for the good."

City is in need of new revenue streams to help comply with UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules, which are designed to curtail over-spending by wealthy owners and require clubs to eventually break even on football-related activities.

But heavy spending led to City losing 90 million pounds ($137 million) in the 2011-12 financial year with transfer fees since the club entered Abu Dhabi ownership in 2008 went beyond 580 million pounds ($880 million).

"This obviously has nothing to do with Financial Fair Play," Soriano said. "We are building a team in New York that will be sustainable and we will be investing here with the idea of recovering our investment and being a club that will be financially sustainable, the same way that our club in Manchester is becoming sustainable every year more, right?

"So we don't have any problem with the Financial Fair Play rules, and the New York team has nothing to do with it."

There is a chance the New York club will serve as a feeder team for City, while young players unable to break into the Premier League squad could be loaned the other way.

"I think naturally it will happen, that some Manchester players will end up playing in New York," Soriano said. "But the objective and the focus will be to try to find the right players for the New York team. The New York team is a team on its own."

Yankees President Randy Levine will be the lead executive responsible for launching the club.

"They'll be running all the soccer," Levine said. "We know our way around New York, how to get things done."

Interim venue

The expansion fee for the new team is $100 million. It will compete for attention, and dollars, with 10 other professional major sports teams in the New York market.NYC FC will start play at an interim venue with one option being the New Yankee Stadium, which opened in 2009.

The venue hosted its first two football matches last year and is the site of a friendly on Saturday between City and Chelsea. The original Yankee Stadium was the home of the North American Soccer League's New York Cosmos in 1976.

The new team is intended to spark a rivalry with the New York Red Bulls, who play in Harrison, New Jersey.

"The Red Bulls now will have a rival here in the market providing them with that derby-like competition that is such a driver of what makes football so successful around the world," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber, calling the addition of a second New York team a "big transformational event."

The Yankees have long been exploring football deals. A partnership with Manchester United was announced in 2001, but that turned into a now-expired licensing and broadcasting agreement in which the clubs sold each other's licensed goods and exchanged television programming. The Yankees' YES Network has broadcast Arsenal games on a delayed basis since October 2010.

Legends Hospitality, co-owned by the Yankees, Dallas Cowboys and Checketts Partners Investment Fund, takes over hospitality and catering at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium next season under a partnership with Jamie Oliver's Fabulous Feasts that was announced in January. Legends already has started work on premium seats sales.

With the decision completed on team No. 20, MLS can turn attention to No. 21.

Former Los Angeles Galaxy star David Beckham, who plays his final game this weekend before retiring, has an option to buy an MLS expansion team at below cost. Miami appears to be a possible market.

"It's just premature," Garber said. "Clearly, we've got to finalize a long-term expansion plan for the league."
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby patrickblue » Tue May 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Lee_R wrote:
Mase wrote:Didn't realise we had so many glory supporting yanks on the board!

Also, I couldn't give a fuck what we do in America as long as it benefits City and fucks over the FFP wankers.

*ticks this box*

Me too
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Blue Oli » Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Yankies, Mets, drafts, what the fuck is going on here ? Can we get back to worrying about the stupid shell suits pleaaaseeeeeeee
Blue Oli
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Paul Power

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum