New York City FC - It's Official!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby Michigan Blue » Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 pm

In Jamie's defence, this won't be exciting news to any existing hardcore MLS or Premier League supporters in NYC, unless they are City fans. Luckily there are many millions of other potential supporters nearby, with no pre-existing MLS or PL loyalties. That's who the club will be targeting, with the hope that those loyalties carry over to MCFC as well.

In NYCFC's favor is the fact that the other local team is called New York Red Bulls, play in New Jersey, and were formed in 1996 as the New York/New Jersey MetroStars. With all due respect, NYRB do not exactly ooze tradition.

And Minnesota is a beautiful place, BTW.
Last edited by Michigan Blue on Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby zuricity » Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
I don't see this bringing them in as MLS fans though. Liga MX and La Liga are the two most watched leagues amongst Spanish speakers. Liga MX draws better ratings in the U.S. than MLS does.

i'm quite sure we can fill the team with names to reflect the melting pot that NYC is, Lopez, O'Malley. A couple of russians thrown in and for the taxi drivers Dedryk etc . Names that they can associate with .
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:This is not good. I have a fear that this team is not going to be welled supported. There was a backlash when Chivas launched a second team in L.A. They don't get very much support and there has been constant talk of moving the team and rebranding. I think the same thing could happen with NYCFC add in that the Yankees are part owners. They are known as the Evil Empire over here. They are the most hated team in the country. They are the baseball version of the rags.

Yeah except the Yankees are known for splashing the cash...and i think MCFC and Yankees are bigger brands than Chivas. Neither of MCFC or Yankees will want their name/brand to be tarnished.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 4:43 pm

AG7 wrote:And the New York City FC has their own website as well.
It looks a little like another site I see every day though ... http://www.nycfc.com/

WOW lol thats amazing!
Lee_R

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Goatistuta2 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm

So what exactly are the FFP rules regarding loan signings, or even the purchase of players at knock-down rates from NYCFC to MCFC?

At first sight it looks a nice side-step?
Goatistuta2
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Wooders wrote:They are signing cavani, falcoa, bale and isco and loaning them to us for free!

There could be some truth in this?.. ffs
Lee_R

Postby Risby » Tue May 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Wooders wrote:They are signing cavani, falcoa, bale and isco and loaning them to us for free!

Lee_R wrote:

If things could only be this simple.
Risby
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Zaba

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Risby wrote:

Lee_R wrote:

If things could only be this simple.

Rags are shitting it.
Lee_R

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Not sure how many of you follow MLS or know the rules that City/Yankees will have to work with. The league does have a salary cap each team is allowed up to three designated players. These players can choose which team they play for. The league is a single entity. Meaning the contracts are with the league and not the individual teams. The salary cap for each team is $2,950,000. Each DP's will have a cap charge of $368,750 against the salary cap. So anyone that signs outside of the DP goes into the draft and does not get to choose which team he plays for. Also you can have only 8 internationals on the roster the rest have to be made up of U.S. citizens. This doesn't apply to the 3 Canadian teams in the league. They can use their domestic spots for U.S. citizens and Canadian citizens.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Risby » Tue May 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Lee_R wrote:
Rags are shitting it.

I bleeding hope so.

Need to keep an eye on Chelsea this pre-season and see what they do.
I think the pair of us will be the biggest movers.
Risby
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Zaba

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:Not sure how many of you follow MLS or know the rules that City/Yankees will have to work with. The league does have a salary cap each team is allowed up to three designated players. These players can choose which team they play for. The league is a single entity. Meaning the contracts are with the league and not the individual teams. The salary cap for each team is $2,950,000. Each DP's will have a cap charge of $368,750 against the salary cap. So anyone that signs outside of the DP goes into the draft and does not get to choose which team he plays for. Also you can have only 8 internationals on the roster the rest have to be made up of U.S. citizens. This doesn't apply to the 3 Canadian teams in the league. They can use their domestic spots for U.S. citizens and Canadian citizens.

All rules are always subject to change though ;) And in America $$$ rules.
Lee_R

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Lee_R wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:Not sure how many of you follow MLS or know the rules that City/Yankees will have to work with. The league does have a salary cap each team is allowed up to three designated players. These players can choose which team they play for. The league is a single entity. Meaning the contracts are with the league and not the individual teams. The salary cap for each team is $2,950,000. Each DP's will have a cap charge of $368,750 against the salary cap. So anyone that signs outside of the DP goes into the draft and does not get to choose which team he plays for. Also you can have only 8 internationals on the roster the rest have to be made up of U.S. citizens. This doesn't apply to the 3 Canadian teams in the league. They can use their domestic spots for U.S. citizens and Canadian citizens.

These rules won't change. They are the reason the league has been able to survive. I am a fan of MLS and hope my local division 2 team moves up in the future now that we have an owner. But the popularity isn't their yet for them to move away from this in the near future.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Lee_R wrote:

Those rules, along with the money sharing scheme, also ensure that all clubs are profitable (I believe). There may be some loan opportunities for youngsters going to NYC, but I don't really see that as the major benefit. They are going to develop the area, much like they've done in manchester, they are going to develop facilities (especially academy facilities) and look to attract young talent in the USA and funnel that to England when possible.

City can play a huge role in taking the sport in USA to the next level. Horrible as it is to say, Beckham was the impetus for the first shift in the states (well, second if you're counting the world cup and start of the mls). City are going to lead the charge on next step.

I know that people laugh when they think of SOCCER in the states ... but to be perfectly honest, we're a nation of more than 300 million people ... and an absolutely massive percentage of kids plays soccer starting at a very young age. The problem now is that any kid who shows even a slight bit of athleticism is funneled into the big money sports in the USA as quickly as possible. IF that attitude can change, City would be positioned to reap a lot of the benefits.

NY is also a fashionable city, and people love to have some connection to it. They also love winners. There are many fans of the Yankees that have never been to NY more than a handful of times and have no family connection. They are fans anyway. The city occupies a special place for a lot of people. City can take advantage of that too.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby usedtothespin » Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

So far there has only been one real NYC football club: The Mo's - New York Cosmos!

They will play in the NASL next year, from Hofstra University. Great history: Pele, Cruijff (nearly, but still), Beckenbauer etc. And a real city team.

Red Bulls are nothing but money, they even play in New Jersey.

As someone who hoped for a new era for the Cosmos this is weird.

BUT FUCK YEAH NYCFC! I absolutely love NY and been to a few yankees games too. Not in any way are they the baseball version of any PL team. They are the f'ing Yankees. A real NY team.

As for this venture, I hope they will get a stadium in the city itself (queens is ok, but Mets territorium too).

I'm stoked and hope they will take pride in battle!

City till I die!
usedtothespin
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

My favourite player is: Gerard Wiekens

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

kinkylola wrote:
Lee_R wrote:

Those rules, along with the money sharing scheme, also ensure that all clubs are profitable (I believe). There may be some loan opportunities for youngsters going to NYC, but I don't really see that as the major benefit. They are going to develop the area, much like they've done in manchester, they are going to develop facilities (especially academy facilities) and look to attract young talent in the USA and funnel that to England when possible.

City can play a huge role in taking the sport in USA to the next level. Horrible as it is to say, Beckham was the impetus for the first shift in the states (well, second if you're counting the world cup and start of the mls). City are going to lead the charge on next step.

I know that people laugh when they think of SOCCER in the states ... but to be perfectly honest, we're a nation of more than 300 million people ... and an absolutely massive percentage of kids plays soccer starting at a very young age. The problem now is that any kid who shows even a slight bit of athleticism is funneled into the big money sports in the USA as quickly as possible. IF that attitude can change, City would be positioned to reap a lot of the benefits.

NY is also a fashionable city, and people love to have some connection to it. They also love winners. There are many fans of the Yankees that have never been to NY more than a handful of times and have no family connection. They are fans anyway. The city occupies a special place for a lot of people. City can take advantage of that too.

The big problem with youth soccer in this country is the pay to play model. When a kid gets signed to the youth academy's in the rest of the wold their parent don't have to pay for their kid to be on the team. Everything has a cost that the parents have to cover kits, coaches, indoor field rental for winter training, club fees, tournament fees, travel costs.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Lee_R wrote:Im glad theyre calling it a Football Club and not a Soccer Club.

good point!

but, can somebody please explain why did we do it and what's in it for Manchester City Football Club?
Are we trying to make money out of this? if yes, how. are MLS clubs making lot of profit? if it's not the money, what? fame? place to loan youngsters? I can't get my head around this whole thing yet tbh with the facts I've seen
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Lee_R » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Interesting

'In 2012 MLS has grown with an average match attendance more than countries such as Brazil and Argentina. It is expected that the average attendance will surpass Europe in the next decade. MLS clubs are also considering entry into the Copa Libertadores as part of a strategy to raise the level of the teams to high international standards.

In 2013, it was announced that New York City FC would be joining the league in 2015 as the 20th team.'
Lee_R

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
razor400 wrote:Why the fuck couldn't they do this with the Mets instead of the fucking yankees.

This. The Yankees are America's very own version of the rags. Getting in to be bed with them makes me puke.

All day long. 100%.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Mase » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Didn't realise we had so many glory supporting yanks on the board!

Also, I couldn't give a fuck what we do in America as long as it benefits City and fucks over the FFP wankers.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum