New York City FC - It's Official!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New York City FC - It's Official!

Postby craigmcfc » Tue May 21, 2013 3:41 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:This is not good. I have a fear that this team is not going to be welled supported. There was a backlash when Chivas launched a second team in L.A. They don't get very much support and there has been constant talk of moving the team and rebranding. I think the same thing could happen with NYCFC add in that the Yankees are part owners. They are known as the Evil Empire over here. They are the most hated team in the country. They are the baseball version of the rags.

Would the flip-side of that argument not be that there are hundreds of thousands of Yankees fans and many would want to support the new co-owned team?
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 pm

I wonder if they can get Cook involved...
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 pm

as a person from Baltimore, I absolutely HATE that we are partnering with the New York Yankees. I believe i'm experiencing an existential crisis right now and i'm really going to have trouble coming to terms with this on many levels.

That being said, there probably isn't a more powerful sporting partner that we could choose in the US market. And the fears that Jaime is talking about with moving, absolutely will not happen with the Yankees as part owner and a dedicated stadium in queens. The Yankees are the evil empire, but they've never moved and never will
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Tue May 21, 2013 3:43 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:This is not good. I have a fear that this team is not going to be welled supported. There was a backlash when Chivas launched a second team in L.A. They don't get very much support and there has been constant talk of moving the team and rebranding. I think the same thing could happen with NYCFC add in that the Yankees are part owners. They are known as the Evil Empire over here. They are the most hated team in the country. They are the baseball version of the rags.

But arn't the Yankees the most successful team in Baseball history... with a large established fan base.

I think I see city's angle on bringing them on board as a shareholder.. Fans, fans, fans = Mo Money money money to us.

Tbh I don't care if NYCFC is hated in the USA as long as MANCHESTER City reap all benefits from their existence.
Last edited by Blue Blood on Tue May 21, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 3:45 pm

craigmcfc wrote:

Would the flip-side of that argument not be that there are hundreds of thousands of Yankees fans and many would want to support the new co-owned team?

His argument is based totally on his hatred of the Yankees (which I can't blame him for) ... but instability and lack of support isn't something they suffer from. Also the immigrant population of New York are much more ardent sports fans than any lazy asses on the west coast.

Being part owners, you can bet that the Yankees will be plastering the city and running crossover campaigns with their baseball players to support the team. It's about the best place and partner we could have for a franchise in MLS.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby razor400 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Why the fuck couldn't they do this with the Mets instead of the fucking yankees.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Blue Blood wrote:

But arn't the Yankees the most successful team in Baseball history... with a large established fan base.

I think I see city's angle on bringing them on board as a shareholder.. Fans, fans, fans = Mo Money money money to us.

Tbh I don't care if NYCFC is hated in the USA as long as MANCHESTER City reap all benefits from their existence.

The Yankees are the most hated team in the country ... they're also the most popular, richest, and most well supported team.

Don't listen to Jamie, he is talking total bullocks. (but I definitely hate the yankees with a burning passion that threatens to boil over at any minute) Business wise, this is the absolute best thing city could have done.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby craigmcfc » Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

kinkylola wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

His argument is based totally on his hatred of the Yankees (which I can't blame him for) ... but instability and lack of support isn't something they suffer from. Also the immigrant population of New York are much more ardent sports fans than any lazy asses on the west coast.

Being part owners, you can bet that the Yankees will be plastering the city and running crossover campaigns with their baseball players to support the team. It's about the best place and partner we could have for a franchise in MLS.

Well that's what I thought too.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Will their shirt look better than ours, as I might get that one instead?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

razor400 wrote:Why the fuck couldn't they do this with the Mets instead of the fucking yankees.

Since you already know about the Mets ... you already know the answer to that question.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm

craigmcfc wrote:

Ding ding ding. Jamie i hate the Yankees but you're way off base here. Coupled with the fact that the NY Red Bulls don't even play in NYC and there will already be a built in fan base.

So let's speculate on who the marquee player will be there in 2015 - Gareth Barry?
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm

craigmcfc wrote:

New Yorkers were already complaining about this when it was a rumor. I had quite a few discussions with supporters in New York. I didn't think City would be involved and would be our owner that purchased the 20th expansion slot. Out of about 5 or 6 different scenarios for NY2 City being involved was no one in New York wanted.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby s1ty m » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Love it. I'm a Yankees fan of sorts. Been to see them 5 times in recent years and follow Baseball closely.
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

Ding ding ding. Jamie i hate the Yankees but you're way off base here. Coupled with the fact that the NY Red Bulls don't even play in NYC and there will already be a built in fan base.

Like the Giants and Jets? There's a fan base their NY2 but talking with the support groups this is the one they didn't want.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Chinners » Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I have a total non interest in this to be honest, any revenue the proper City make from this will be a risible amount (if any) ... franchise, soccer ... fuck-off, I support Manchester City Football Club and thats it and I'll be fuming if I start getting emails trying to sell this to me, with extra loyalty points. Expect NYCFC merchandising in our local CityStores any time soon .. what a load of bollox
Last edited by Chinners on Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby DirtyBirdJ » Tue May 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Can't support this team because of the yanks. We're braves country down here. Disgusting.
DirtyBirdJ
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Machester City
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby kinkylola » Tue May 21, 2013 3:53 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

New Yorkers were already complaining about this when it was a rumor. I had quite a few discussions with supporters in New York. I didn't think City would be involved and would be our owner that purchased the 20th expansion slot. Out of about 5 or 6 different scenarios for NY2 City being involved was no one in New York wanted.

5 or 6 people = everyone in NY ... well, everyone can pack up and go home, Jamie has already canvassed the market ... we're dead in the water.

wonder that city didn't hire him for market research from the get-go.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BmoreBlue » Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
BmoreBlue wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:

Like the Giants and Jets? There's a fan base their NY2 but talking with the support groups this is the one they didn't want.

right, like the giants and jets. neither team play in NYC, so not even close to the same argument. NYCFC is going to be branded as NYC's team, while the Red Bulls will be left with scraps. plus with the backing of the Yankees, whether we like it or not, is going to only help that branding. who are these "support groups" that don't want NYCFC? Alcoholics Anonymous?
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby zuricity » Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
There is more that can go wrong with this than good.

jamie , Have you lived in New York ?

The location is most important, not Manhattan , but where the real interested parties are in brooklyn, queens, the Bronx.

The web site , even in spanish.

They are waiting on the go ahead for a purpose built stadium in Queens, a perfect location equi distant for all 8 mill new yorkers. although the catchment area is double that pop at least .

Carl is quite right this is excellent news.

no more driving to the swamps of jersey ( except to see Bruce !)
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Dameerto wrote:I wonder if they can get Cook involved...

and Beckham maybe
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum