***official city v west ham match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***official city v west ham match thread***

Postby clawbaggio » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Hang on a minute - just watching Motd. Showed our demolition of West Ham then the "analysis" of OUR GAME is all about how the Rags won the title and how brilliant the invisible man Michael Carrick has been.
Fuck right off!
clawbaggio
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: aguerro

Postby KippaxBlue » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 am

Pics and comments on the West ham game are now online at
http://www.rtfract.com/citapr13b.htm
my main City page is below
http://www.rtfract.com/rtcity.htm
KippaxBlue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby walmai » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 am

We lost a game nobody amongst us expected to get anything from at all. Clearly you ought to have scored one or two more too, but its generally encouraging that we played on all match and obtained the consolation.

Given that this is a MCFC thread, I'll save the remainder for my views of your lot.

Hart was probably injured before we scored, so I don't read all that much into his failure to save it (as much as it did look a little comical). I enjoyed the fact that Carroll stayed alert and battling for the 90 and think that he did well to unsettle a generally settled and capable defence.

I did expect a bit more going forward from the FB's and would say that the most obvious 'missing ingredient' might have been a lack of pace in attacking. Sure, you found your way through our massed ranks regularly, but we were missing one or two first teamers and would have been stretched a lot more if you'd systematically got behind our full backs. A minor observation, maybe, but its small questions such as why you lodged Johnson, if the replacement wide boy is not getting a sniff of first team action.

Might this be Barry's last season? A seasoned pro, for sure, but how much is left in the tank? Yaya is obviously still the real deal. You could just see none of ours wanted to go toe to toe with him.

Strikers-wise, I'd chalk that off as a bad day at the office for Aguero. He's still a world class forward in my eyes. Not so sure about Carlos. I know there's a view that he never really tries hard against us, but, against the team that came up via play-offs, you'd expect a bit more off the second striker when he's playing for the reigning champions.

So, for my eyes, you are a few tweaks, a bit of coaching innovation and a second prolific striker short of a tilt at next year's championship. I personally expect a team winning it to have at least one striker close to or even passing 20 league goals a season.

As for us? It all depends on whether we keep Diame and Carroll. Both and we'll be fine, as much as the purists might turn up their noses. Lose one and we need some form of replacement. Both lost and we'll struggle.

Enjoy the Final.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 am

walmai wrote:
As for us? It all depends on whether we keep Diame and Carroll. Both and we'll be fine, as much as the purists might turn up their noses. Lose one and we need some form of replacement. Both lost and we'll struggle.

Have Bolton not got a striker that would suit you guys? I hear Big Kev is being released?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby walmai » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 am

Mase wrote:
walmai wrote:

Have Bolton not got a striker that would suit you guys? I hear Big Kev is being released?

ha ha - That's true!

However, Big Sam has got Jussi, O'Brien, Nolan and Vaz Te already.

We'll probably only offer big Kev Davies a deal if we need one late push on the season tickets.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 am

walmai wrote:
ha ha - That's true!

However, Big Sam has got Jussi, O'Brien, Nolan and Vaz Te already.

We'll probably only offer big Kev Davies a deal if we need one late push on the season tickets.

Don't forget Matty Taylor!

I like West Ham. What's going on with that Collison kid? When he broke through he looked quality but I haven't heard anything of him recently.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby walmai » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I think in truth that he's had one too many bad injuries at an early stage in his career. He missed 40% of last season and practically the whole of the first half of this one.

That makes him a peripheral option most of the time.

Psychologically, that may also have affected him. He's clever with the ball, likes pass and move and can shoot with both feet, but I am not so sure he's able to carve out and keep a starting place in the team that Allardyce sends out each week.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Walmai,

Nice to read your post and objective analysis; it's always good to hear what you have to say.

From a West Ham perspective, have your fans warmed, in any way, to the style of football that Allardyce is supposedly renowned for producing. On the other hand, are we all being a little unfair and is more football being played by your team than he's being given credit for ??

It would also be interesting to know if there is a difference in style between your home and away games.

All in all, what changes, if any, would you expect or hope for, for next season ??

Sorry if this sounds like a shopping list, but it would be useful to hear your thoughts.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby mr_nool » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
He was good today until Carroll scored...that was his man to mark.

Now I know that you're just fishing (or being thick as fuck). Lescott was on the other side of the penalty area, marking his man. Carroll was covered by both Kolo and Mad Zab.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm

mr_nool wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
He was good today until Carroll scored...that was his man to mark.

Now I know that you're just fishing (or being thick as fuck). Lescott was on the other side of the penalty area, marking his man. Carroll was covered by both Kolo and Mad Zab.

Fishing is probably more apt Mary...anything to wind up a nerd like you.

Did you find that ice cream "to die for" you fuckign powder puff??!!
Last edited by carl_feedthegoat on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nickyboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm

From my seat in the ground it seemed to me that Webb was 'marking' Yaya for most of the first half. He always seemed to be in the way when he was making himself available for a pass and blocked a couple of his runs.

Did anyone else see it or am I going mad?
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby mr_nool » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Fishing is probably more apt Mary...anything to wind up a nerd like you.

Did you find that ice cream "to die for" you fuckign powder puff??!!

Wow, powder puff, nerd and Mary in one post! My upperlip is shaking.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby walmai » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Hi Walmai,

Nice to read your post and objective analysis; it's always good to hear what you have to say.

From a West Ham perspective, have your fans warmed, in any way, to the style of football that Allardyce is supposedly renowned for producing. On the other hand, are we all being a little unfair and is more football being played by your team than he's being given credit for ??

It would also be interesting to know if there is a difference in style between your home and away games.

All in all, what changes, if any, would you expect or hope for, for next season ??

Sorry if this sounds like a shopping list, but it would be useful to hear your thoughts.

There were murmurs last season from a section that the team wasn't playing it 'our way', which reached the chants 'of play on the floor', but most if not all of course warmed to the 11 victories, many with multiple goals being scored. And, yes its direct, but the style is also entertaining. Teams don't want to visit us, in the main; we're set up to battle anyone but also stretch it wide, often with pace through Jarvis. He's one of a number of signings who have paid off for Sam.

We're much more cautious away, in truth, so 'park the bus' is often heard along with the hooof, but, again, nobody's really seriously complaining, if it means a share of the points against teams that can score a few - Soton and Liverpool.

What I hope for next season is that a meteor crashes through the roof of the Olympic Stadium.

Oh and that we sign a left back. I expect one of these things to happen too.

In all honesty, I expect Sam to stick around, for the team to undergo a few painful losses in playing staff and for some teams to have better seasons next time. I am not so sure about the quality of the teams coming up, mind. Quite a weak crop.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:49 am

If we're going to do this, let's do it properly.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum