Savic

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Savic

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Edghill was a decent pro who was destined for good things. City fans systematically dismantled his confidence. He was 'one of us' too. It was painful to watch his sapping belief in himself and City fans should hang their heads for the shameful hatchet job they did on him.
The only players I can recall coming through such treatment are Goater and Big Joe. It doesn't help.

Micah richards came through something very very similar. He buckled down and showed his class after a year or so of exceptionally poor performances under hughes. The difference with egdehill / micah and savic is that it was clear they did have some talent to start with.

The other difference is that making mistakes in mid table is nowhere near as costly as making them at the top of the league - which is, funnily enough why the top teams are the top teams, they have fewer players who make mistakes, ie better players
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 am

Dubciteh wrote:The difference between savic and edgehill is that edgehill actually had a period where he was decent for us, Savic hasnt. Didnt edgehill have a bit of a resurgence towards the end of his city career? I cant really remember if i have made that up or not!

Anyway who do we have to play tonight to replace SAvic as Komp zaba and Lescott(id rather keep him for chelsea game than risk him) apparently out? we may have no choice but to play him.

I think its been mentioned on another thread that if we have known defensive frailties, and are having problems scoring, particularly away, we should attack from the off and the result should take care of itself.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 am

As NQDP has pointed out, surely you look at players and, even if they are struggling, you look for assets they have which could make them players for the future; you tick the boxes & see what you have that you can work on ?

When comparing Edghill for instance, well straight away he was quick so there's something he's got in his armoury which could give him an edge. Micah ? He ticks almost every box you could wish for. The annoying thing with Micah, which had people on his case, was a perceived lack of effort &, as Dzeko has found, most people won't wear that.

Boyata ticks a lot of boxes & looks like he should be a Premier League centre back but for some reason just isn't performing. As NQDP says, it's understandable if City let him go, because he's just not produced the goods but he really should be doing so; he has all the raw material.

Then there's Savic. I would be absolutely delighted if I have to eat my words about him; seriously happy because he's been bought for decent money. I can't find even one box which has a tick in it when I look at him though. Why is he the choice for our future CB ? What makes him stand out ? Why is he the bloke who gets the job, out of all the 21 year old centre backs in the world ? Why is he so special that we have to 'stick with him' & 'give him a chance' rather than signing someone else ? Why him & not Boyata ?

I can only assume he has one hell of a personality or an enormous penis & someone was attracted to that.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:59 am

Shame wabara isnt in the europa squad we could micah CB. Plus their rapid left back is suspended so that helps us.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Green & Blue » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 pm

He will be playing tonight won't he???

I just hope this thread has not doubled in size by this time tomorrow.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Green & Blue wrote:He will be playing tonight won't he???

I just hope this thread has not doubled in size by this time tomorrow.

I think we'd all be absolutely delighted to eat humble pie if he suddenly turns into Bobby Moore & plays a blinder for the rest of the season.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Shame wabara isnt in the europa squad we could micah CB. Plus their rapid left back is suspended so that helps us.

are u sure he isnt? i thought all youth players were in it as part of the requirements? Rekik for me centre half with toure.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
are u sure he isnt? i thought all youth players were in it as part of the requirements? Rekik for me centre half with toure.

I dont think you have to register players under 21
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby trout man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 am

Did anyone else notice the difference in savic's game last night, particularly early in the second half when the sensible elements in the crowd applauded his good play and he seemed to grow a couple of inches and more importantly started to actively look for the ball coming out of defence. I couldn't believe the difference in the lad, I think he is one of those guys that needs a hug rather than a bollocking and he may yet prove to be a useful squad player.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 am

trout man wrote:Did anyone else notice the difference in savic's game last night, particularly early in the second half when the sensible elements in the crowd applauded his good play and he seemed to grow a couple of inches and more importantly started to actively look for the ball coming out of defence. I couldn't believe the difference in the lad, I think he is one of those guys that needs a hug rather than a bollocking and he may yet prove to be a useful squad player.

You mean in the 2nd half when we didnt have to defend?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 am

Savic had a decent game. Simple as that.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:14 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
trout man wrote:Did anyone else notice the difference in savic's game last night, particularly early in the second half when the sensible elements in the crowd applauded his good play and he seemed to grow a couple of inches and more importantly started to actively look for the ball coming out of defence. I couldn't believe the difference in the lad, I think he is one of those guys that needs a hug rather than a bollocking and he may yet prove to be a useful squad player.

That was it in a nutshell. The positive attitude of the team took the pressure right off Savic & he used the ball well, with confidence.

I was one of the' sensible elements in the crowd ' who applauded the good elements in his play btw, including in the first half when he made a good block v Capel (amongst the comedy defending).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:05 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

That was it in a nutshell. The positive attitude of the team took the pressure right off Savic & he used the ball well, with confidence.

I was one of the' sensible elements in the crowd ' who applauded the good elements in his play btw, including in the first half when he made a good block v Capel (amongst the comedy defending).

Yeah, me too whilst he was still poor I tried to stay off his back, as I think did most of the crowd - but I had some fucking idiot in front of me who gave me shit at the start of the game when I said to my mate I feared the worst with Kolarov/Savic on the left. After 30 minutes he was going fucking purple with rage.

Certain things he did, often under no pressure at all are completely unforgiveable at this level. There was even one occasions when the ball was coming towards him and he readjusted himself 3 times before miscontrolling it to an opposition player - it was so simple, I reckon an 8 year old could have done it better from instinct - let alone a dozen years of training. The header towards the corner flag was comedy gold.

But in the 2nd half, he did look more reassured on the ball, simply because he didn't have the pressure of having to defend.

I think Savic and Kolarov have to both go into the box marked - "not defenders"
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Yeah, me too whilst he was still poor I tried to stay off his back, as I think did most of the crowd - but I had some fucking idiot in front of me who gave me shit at the start of the game when I said to my mate I feared the worst with Kolarov/Savic on the left. After 30 minutes he was going fucking purple with rage.

Certain things he did, often under no pressure at all are completely unforgiveable at this level. There was even one occasions when the ball was coming towards him and he readjusted himself 3 times before miscontrolling it to an opposition player - it was so simple, I reckon an 8 year old could have done it better from instinct - let alone a dozen years of training. The header towards the corner flag was comedy gold.

But in the 2nd half, he did look more reassured on the ball, simply because he didn't have the pressure of having to defend.

Ive expected more for the reported 26 millions outlay.
New defensive scout needed please.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am

lets all have a disco wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Ive expected more for the reported 26 millions outlay.
New defensive scout needed please.

I think both would thrive in a sweeper system with wing backs. Well Kolarov certainly would, but it would give Savic more support too.

I honestly think we have been at our best this season with that sort of system, and whatever you want to call it last night, effectively De Jong was playing CB with Micah and Kolarov playing wing backs - it has worked well from an attacking perspective whenever we have used it, and has clawed us back into a number of games where we had completely spunked the first half.

It accommodates all the players Mancini has brought in, Dzeko, Savic, Kolarov so I don't get why we never start with it.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby trout man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 am

Everything said is sensible, technically he has ability, it's the mental part where he has the problem. This may be fixable and there again... Not. The makings of a top athlete are both physical and mental, Micah has shown us it is possible to turn it around, though I do think Savic is a more fragile flower...
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46 am

Even in a sweeper system you wouldn't pick Savic as the man for the job though. Sure he may get away with it because he has extra central cover, but ideally you'd want someone like Martinez or even Yaya Toure doing that job, next to Vinny & Lescott.

Rekik could probably do that job better than Savic right now.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Savic is like Wes Brown, quick too quick in fact he is robotic, switched on forwards will have him over, via diving over his out stretched leg reading his pass, and he will like Wes Brown switch off for no reason other than it is in his DNA. Mistakes waiting to happen, Booby has to see that.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Decided to watch Savic when he was in front of me in the first half last night. I'll ignore the sliced clearances and passes into touch for now and put them down to nerves.

However, his positional play was atrocious. Yaya was going mad at him at one point over it. On one occasion he was a good 20 yards behind every other City player, playing their forwards on side. He obviously learnt from that, so 5 mins later, he pushed up 10 yards in front of the rest of the defence. Worse, he actually looked across to see where Kolarov was and then kept going anyway.

If he had a long run of games alongside Vince, maybe, just maybe, he'd get it. We'd probably get relegated, but he might work it out. However, if you can't read a game at 21, I doubt he ever will. If he plays again this season, we may as well take the trophy to the swamp ourselves.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Ok on guitar though.

[youtube]A67Bow78dDs&feature=related[/youtube]

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum