Will Torres ever regain form?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Will Torres ever regain form?

Postby twosips » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Ah Torres at Atletico wasn't totally prolific, no, but he was a kid and he was confident and dangerous. He was also about four yards faster than he is now. It's easy to forget how good he was at Liverpool. He was outstanding. Injuries and Liverpools general malaise put a dent hugely in his confidence and he's just never been the same since.

He hasn't simply gone back to the level he was before. He was much, much better then - he was a hero at Atletico for a reason.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Original Dub wrote:See, this is where I disagree....

Those two seasons at Liverpool were the exception, rather than the rue.

As far as I know, he was a one in three striker before that. I think he was a one in three striker for Spain also. And he's probably a one in four striker now.

He was never one of the world's best.

In La liga, Torres scored 75 goals in 174 games. Aguero scored 74 in 175.
In his first 3 seasons in the PL, Torres scored 56 in 79. In Aguero's first 3 seasons, he's scored 52 in 87.
I'm absolutely sure you'd say Aguero has been one of the best in the world for that period and he has, yet when Torres has an almost identical record if not slightly better, he wasn't?

Yes he's been dog shite at Chelsea but he was class for both Liverpool and Atletico, Sure he has two/three exceptional years but he was pretty damn good in the others.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

As far as I know, he was a one in three striker before that. I think he was a one in three striker for Spain also. And he's probably a one in four striker now.

In his first 3 seasons in the PL, Torres scored 56 in 79. In Aguero's first 3 seasons, he's scored 52 in 87.
I'm absolutely sure you'd say Aguero has been one of the best in the world for that period and he has, yet when Torres has an almost identical record if not slightly better, he wasn't?

Yes he's been dog shite at Chelsea but he was class for both Liverpool and Atletico, Sure he has two/three exceptional years but he was pretty damn good in the others.

At athletico, his record was 82 goals in 216 appearances. For Spain it was something like 38 in 102. For chelsea it is 20 in 110.

Only at Liverpool for two seasons was he at the top level.

I would say aguero is a better player, yes.

He has the greatest goals to minutes ratio the premier league has ever seen.
Original Dub

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

At athletico, his record was 82 goals in 216 appearances. For Spain it was something like 38 in 102. For chelsea it is 20 in 110.

Only at Liverpool for two seasons was he at the top level.

I would say aguero is a better player, yes.

He has the greatest goals to minutes ratio the premier league has ever seen.

I'm not sure why you've brought up his record for Chelsea because the debate is whether he was world class BEFORE he went to Chelsea, so what he's done (or not done) for Chelsea is irrelevant for this point.

I also think it's only fair to compare them for the same league's they've been in and not bring Torres's first season when he was only 16/17 and Atletico were in the second division into account. They both played five seasons in La Liga with an almost identical record, in their first three seasons in the PL, Torres slightly edged it. In terms of cup goals Aguero edged it.
Yes Aguero has the best ratio which is undoubtedly impressive but on the other hand Torres was quicker (in terms of games) to reach 50 Premier League goals which is equally as impressive.

Look, my point isn't to say which one was better but if you're going to laud Aguero for a certain set of statistics you have to give the same credit to Torres who achieved an equally impressive set.
Torres had 8 solid seasons where he scored regularly including two or three exceptional ones, he certainly imo was world class during that period.
Basically put, if Aguero suddenly did a Torres and dropped dramatically in form permanently, would it mean he was never world class? Of course not.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am

Strange.

I thought the debate was whether, or not, Torres would ever regain his form (as per the thread title), not if he was world class before he went to Chelsea.

I must have got confused somewhere along the line.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm

as an aside, we could create an almost identical thread for joe hart. even the tangent about whether he was ever truly "world class". carry on.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Strange.

I thought the debate was whether, or not, Torres would ever regain his form (as per the thread title), not if he was world class before he went to Chelsea.

Are you serious?

The original thread was started over two and a half years ago. Since then it has been answered as he hasn't regained form.
SInce the original question had clearly been answered OD took it on a bit of a tangent and challenged whether Torres ever was really world class (before he went to Chelsea) so that was the point being debated.
Not rocket science is it?
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Strange.

Are you serious?

The original thread was started over two and a half years ago. Since then it has been answered as he hasn't regained form.
SInce the original question had clearly been answered OD took it on a bit of a tangent and challenged whether Torres ever was really world class (before he went to Chelsea) so that was the point being debated.
Not rocket science is it?

You're obviously the Werner von Braun of footballing debate.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

will Torres (thread) ever get locked status ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum