*** NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE ***

Postby Robert Washington » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:27 pm

I am from the US, in the state of Maine (northern New England). I became sky blue in the Fall of 2010. I had only begun following the EPL a few months prior because I couldn't get enough soccer. Following USA's national team and having to wait for World Cup qualifiers and friendlies was not enough football for me. I decided to watch the EPL to fill that void. In the US, unless you have an expensive cable TV package, the only EPL match you could watch was on ESPN2 early Saturday mornings. Just one match. The one good thing about that was the great commentary by Ian Darke & Steve McManaman. So, after a few months of watching a variety of EPL clubs, I wanted a club to support. I had seen a few Manchester City matches and I enjoyed their playing style. I also enjoyed watching the tenacity of Carlos Tevez, even though I had disliked him as an Argentinian player, not sure why. As a fan of Drogba and the Ivorian national team, I also enjoyed watching the Toure brothers. Completely unbiased, I was almost a Hotspur but an unyielding force of gravity drew me to the blue side of Manchester.

I am now a serious sky blue. Being a City supporter is a large part of my life. However, it is not easy being a soccer fan in the US. The closest Manchester City supporter's pub is in New York City, a six hour drive or train ride. Also, even with an expensive (over-priced) cable TV package, we are limited to what matches we can view. I am currently unable to watch all of City's matches on TV. This is extremely frustrating! Some weekends I scramble to find an internet site that streams EPL matches, mostly to little avail. Other times I have to listen to the BBC radio broadcast through mcfc.co.uk. To alleviate this frustration, I am looking for a TV service provider that has the full NBC Sports package, so that i can view all of City's matches.

One of my best friends has been a massive United supporter for 13 years. It is great to have that red v blue side of Manchester bickering right here in New England. Even better, considering the results we have had against our neighbors over the last few seasons, including the F.A. Cup semi-final and of course 6-1 at Old Trafford.

I hope to travel to England someday to watch a match at the Etihad and view, in person, the boys being led out of the tunnel by none other than Vincent Kompany. Come on City!
Blue Moon of Maine, USA
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Dronny » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 am

Robert Washington wrote:I am from the US, in the state of Maine (northern New England). I became sky blue in the Fall of 2010. I had only begun following the EPL a few months prior because I couldn't get enough soccer. Following USA's national team and having to wait for World Cup qualifiers and friendlies was not enough football for me. I decided to watch the EPL to fill that void. In the US, unless you have an expensive cable TV package, the only EPL match you could watch was on ESPN2 early Saturday mornings. Just one match. The one good thing about that was the great commentary by Ian Darke & Steve McManaman. So, after a few months of watching a variety of EPL clubs, I wanted a club to support. I had seen a few Manchester City matches and I enjoyed their playing style. I also enjoyed watching the tenacity of Carlos Tevez, even though I had disliked him as an Argentinian player, not sure why. As a fan of Drogba and the Ivorian national team, I also enjoyed watching the Toure brothers. Completely unbiased, I was almost a Hotspur but an unyielding force of gravity drew me to the blue side of Manchester.

I am now a serious sky blue. Being a City supporter is a large part of my life. However, it is not easy being a soccer fan in the US. The closest Manchester City supporter's pub is in New York City, a six hour drive or train ride. Also, even with an expensive (over-priced) cable TV package, we are limited to what matches we can view. I am currently unable to watch all of City's matches on TV. This is extremely frustrating! Some weekends I scramble to find an internet site that streams EPL matches, mostly to little avail. Other times I have to listen to the BBC radio broadcast through mcfc.co.uk. To alleviate this frustration, I am looking for a TV service provider that has the full NBC Sports package, so that i can view all of City's matches.

One of my best friends has been a massive United supporter for 13 years. It is great to have that red v blue side of Manchester bickering right here in New England. Even better, considering the results we have had against our neighbors over the last few seasons, including the F.A. Cup semi-final and of course 6-1 at Old Trafford.

I hope to travel to England someday to watch a match at the Etihad and view, in person, the boys being led out of the tunnel by none other than Vincent Kompany. Come on City!

Welcome Bob. you'll be pleased to know, if you didn't already, that there's quite an American enclave on the site already. Also don't be offended when people refer to you as a johhny come lately, glory hunting, newbie, non entity real fan......they're only joking :-)
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Robert Washington » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Dronny wrote:
Welcome Bob. you'll be pleased to know, if you didn't already, that there's quite an American enclave on the site already. Also don't be offended when people refer to you as a johhny come lately, glory hunting, newbie, non entity real fan......they're only joking :-)

Good to know I'm not the only `yank` on here. I hope there are many from New England. We need a supporters pub! As for being offended, I have quite the sense of humor. Not to mention, when I began following the club, City was trophyless for 35 years! : )
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Robert Washington wrote:
Dronny wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only `yank` on here. I hope there are many from New England. We need a supporters pub! As for being offended, I have quite the sense of humor. Not to mention, when I began following the club, City was trophyless for 35 years! : )

You may or may not be aware that our old stadium was called Maine Road (we left there 10 years ago). It got its name from the road on which it was built which in turn got its name (it is thought) from the Maine Law that was passed in your very own state more than 150 years ago. So in a way you've gravitated to your natural home. Welcome.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Robert Washington » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:01 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:You may or may not be aware that our old stadium was called Maine Road (we left there 10 years ago). It got its name from the road on which it was built which in turn got its name (it is thought) from the Maine Law that was passed in your very own state more than 150 years ago. So in a way you've gravitated to your natural home. Welcome.

Thanks Peter. I did know that City's stadium was on Maine Road. I did not know we used to play in Maine Road Stadium. Wasn't The City of Manchester Stadium located nearby and also on Maine Road? One of the things I found when I began learning about the club was CoMS was located on Maine Rd. I saw that on mcfc.co.uk. Was the name of the road where CoMS was located changed to Maine Rd just as Etihad has changed the name of the road to Etihad Campus?

I'm not sure of those particulars but I have always thought CoM$ was on Maine Rd. Given that, I was aware that City had a connection to Maine Rd. Therefore, I have always thought that there must be some kind of connection between Manchester and my home state.

Now I know. The Maine law, the first prohibition movement in the US. Apparently Maine influenced Manchester with its anti-alcohol movement..

Its a bit paradoxical considering a recent study finds that Maine is the heaviest drinking state in the US!

A few years ago, when I saw the Maine Rd address on mcfc.co.uk, I was excited and felt my decision to follow City was meant to be. Beyond that, my father is the Black Elvis performer (he tours Europe every year with Elvis' old bass player, Duke Bardwell). What does Elvis have to do with City? Well, he happens to sing a lovely version of 'Blue Moon.' The song, to me, holds not only personal evocations but also transcends what it is to support a club through thick and thin.

Learning that Blue Moon is the club's song in concurrence with the connection to my home state, cemented my decision. I really feel as though I was naturally drawn towards this club.

Oh, the universe works in mysterious ways. : )

Thanks again for the info Peter.

Robert
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby mahendra » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:29 am

Hi, mahendra here frm india.big tym city fan and dead against united nd a silva nd yaya fan.
mahendra
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby john@staustell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:06 am

mahendra wrote:Hi, mahendra here frm india.big tym city fan and dead against united nd a silva nd yaya fan.

Good man, bring all your friends.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby BlueAlf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm

hi all, been a match going Blue since 78, suffered along with everyone else til the last few years, been a member of most City forums in the past, CTID.
BlueAlf
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Machester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Burt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 pm

BlueAlf wrote:hi all, been a match going Blue since 78, suffered along with everyone else til the last few years, been a member of most City forums in the past, CTID.

Welcome Alf fella. I hope that you will bring insightful thoughts to the board because I just usually talk broken biscuits ;o)

Get on the threads and engage with the other twats on ere and you'll be fine mucka.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby mr_nool » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:20 pm

BlueAlf wrote:hi all, been a match going Blue since 78, suffered along with everyone else til the last few years, been a member of most City forums in the past, CTID.

Hi Alf!
Are you the BlueAlf from Xpert11?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby bayblue » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi all. I'm Mark. First game in 71 and was season ticket holder on Kippax and at COMS. Now in exile but try to get to as many games as I can. Love City, love what we stand for, and love the way the owners have tried to keep true to our heritage, despite their mega billions. Optimistic. Eternally grateful to YaYa for Wembley and Serge for the title. Sad to see Mancini go but think it was sadly inevitable. Just hope Pelligrini is the man for us.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Slim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 am

bayblue wrote:Hi all. I'm Mark. First game in 71 and was season ticket holder on Kippax and at COMS. Now in exile but try to get to as many games as I can. Love City, love what we stand for, and love the way the owners have tried to keep true to our heritage, despite their mega billions. Optimistic. Eternally grateful to YaYa for Wembley and Serge for the title. Sad to see Mancini go but think it was sadly inevitable. Just hope Pelligrini is the man for us.

Welcome aboard, we just lost a crybaby who has apparently "quit MCFC" so there is room for you.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

bayblue wrote:Hi all. I'm Mark. First game in 71 and was season ticket holder on Kippax and at COMS. Now in exile but try to get to as many games as I can. Love City, love what we stand for, and love the way the owners have tried to keep true to our heritage, despite their mega billions. Optimistic. Eternally grateful to YaYa for Wembley and Serge for the title. Sad to see Mancini go but think it was sadly inevitable. Just hope Pelligrini is the man for us.

Just out of interest, do you remember who we played against in your first game?
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby flinty123city » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Lads

Just joined the site. Have been a regular (founder) member of another Forum (MCFCFORUM) since it was founded in 2010. Decided it was time for a change. Thanks for letting me on board.

Been a City fan for 42 years (since I was seven) - look forward to taking part and reading all your views.
flinty123city
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 am

flinty123city wrote:Hi Lads

Just joined the site. Have been a regular (founder) member of another Forum (MCFCFORUM) since it was founded in 2010. Decided it was time for a change. Thanks for letting me on board.

Been a City fan for 42 years (since I was seven) - look forward to taking part and reading all your views.

welcome flinty123city, you're welcome here, what made you switch, just interested? I cant say I have used MCFCFORUM but it seems a steady place to post. I think you will enjoy it here, its a welcoming place, where you are freely allowed to express views as you will see as you read through. We are not hitler like in moderating but do try and keep the place a nice place to visit even though things can get heated.

Get stuck in and enjoy
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby flinty123city » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

welcome flinty123city, you're welcome here, what made you switch, just interested? I cant say I have used MCFCFORUM but it seems a steady place to post. I think you will enjoy it here, its a welcoming place, where you are freely allowed to express views as you will see as you read through. We are not hitler like in moderating but do try and keep the place a nice place to visit even though things can get heated.

Get stuck in and enjoy

Thanks for the welcome. MCFCFORUM is pretty good and I have enjoyed it from the start (I am the 3rd largest poster on there - in quantity, probably not quality). Like anything else after such a long time, things became a bit stagnant for me, and just thought I would leave the "clique" and try and enjoy the views of some different blues.
flinty123city
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

flinty123city wrote: try and enjoy the views of some different blues.

there is certainly a lot of them here, thats for sure :-)
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Burt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
flinty123city wrote: try and enjoy the views of some different blues.

there is certainly a lot of them here, thats for sure :-)

Huh! You tryin to say summat big boy?!

Welcome aboard Flinty fella. You'll find yer feet quick enough mucka:o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 am

flinty123city wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Get stuck in and enjoy

Thanks for the welcome. MCFCFORUM is pretty good and I have enjoyed it from the start (I am the 3rd largest poster on there - in quantity, probably not quality). Like anything else after such a long time, things became a bit stagnant for me, and just thought I would leave the "clique" and try and enjoy the views of some different blues.

Clique memberships on this board are closed for 2013, but will be open early next year.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Paul68 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:36 pm

dazby wrote:
flinty123city wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Get stuck in and enjoy

Clique memberships on this board are closed for 2013, but will be open early next year.

Well actually they are not closed... but you'd only know that if you're in the right clique...
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum