Is Boateng Just Not Very Good

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is Boateng Just Not Very Good

Postby Two's Kompany » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:39 am

Boateng is the German Titus Bramble.
He looks good for large spells of the game, but you just know he's going to drop a bollock if you pressurise him enough!
Like me and a mate said, they defend so well from the front that it's very hard to break them down.
However if you can 'get' at their centre backs they are vulnerable.
Two's Kompany
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Anyone in a City shirt!

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 am

Two's Kompany wrote:Boateng is the German Titus Bramble.
He looks good for large spells of the game, but you just know he's going to drop a bollock if you pressurise him enough!
Like me and a mate said, they defend so well from the front that it's very hard to break them down.
However if you can 'get' at their centre backs they are vulnerable.

In a way, the third goal was an extreme example of the type of pressing game that Pellegrini wants to play; Aguero was onto Boateng so quickly that he gave him no time whatsoever.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

I remember a while back Aguero had a tendency to miss the easy chances but get the difficult ones, Everton at home last year springs to mind where missed a couple of sitters but got one from a really tight angle. Now I'd argue he's the most clinical striker in the world. Can't think of any player I'd rather have in a 1 v 1 situation.
What a player, we're so lucky to have him.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby blue-nova » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:19 am

I read a quote after the match from a Bayern fan, which a few others agreed with. He said that they suffer* because of their dominance in the German league. They've let in 3 goals so far this season, which may suggest they have a wonderful defence, but could also be an indication that the defence regularly have much less pressure on them.

Hard to say if it's true, as they face a similar number of shots per match to City (9 to 9.4), but that's the view from at least some Bayern fans.

It could just well be a similar story to why people believe City, Arsenal, United etc have dodgy defences - because they spend so much of each match attacking, they are invariably left with less protection than a side which spends much of the match with solid banks of 4:4 or 4:5.

*boo hoo.
My Man City quiz book (now in print as well as Kindle) still outselling the rags! I'll be able to afford a Balti pie soon!
Just published a Christmassy Football Joke and Quiz Book too!
blue-nova
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:42 am

remember a while back Aguero had a tendency to miss the easy chances but get the difficult ones, Everton at home last year springs to mind where missed a couple of sitters but got one from a really tight angle. Now I'd argue he's the most clinical striker in the world. Can't think of any player I'd rather have in a 1 v 1 situation.

I consider the second goal one of the most difficult to execute. He has to pinpoint that ball, otherwise it goes to Neuer or goes wide. Perhaps you're talking about the third one which is a bit simpler but I don't consider that easy either.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
remember a while back Aguero had a tendency to miss the easy chances but get the difficult ones, Everton at home last year springs to mind where missed a couple of sitters but got one from a really tight angle. Now I'd argue he's the most clinical striker in the world. Can't think of any player I'd rather have in a 1 v 1 situation.

I consider the second goal one of the most difficult to execute. He has to pinpoint that ball, otherwise it goes to Neuer or goes wide. Perhaps you're talking about the third one which is a bit simpler but I don't consider that easy either.

You seem to have construed what I said negatively when it was a real compliment to him. Not easy no, but chances you'd expect a striker to take and he did so emphatically. He used to miss those a fair bit and get the harder chances but now he's just clinical.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:18 pm

blue-nova wrote:I read a quote after the match from a Bayern fan, which a few others agreed with. He said that they suffer* because of their dominance in the German league. They've let in 3 goals so far this season, which may suggest they have a wonderful defence, but could also be an indication that the defence regularly have much less pressure on them.

Hard to say if it's true, as they face a similar number of shots per match to City (9 to 9.4), but that's the view from at least some Bayern fans.

It could just well be a similar story to why people believe City, Arsenal, United etc have dodgy defences - because they spend so much of each match attacking, they are invariably left with less protection than a side which spends much of the match with solid banks of 4:4 or 4:5.

*boo hoo.

We have had so many matchday threads on here where we watched the rags under Ferguson, & we are tearing our fucking hair out as teams waltz through their defence, then hoof the ball into the stand when it's easier to score. Bayern are determined to be the rags of the Bundesliga & no doubt benefit from the same thing, as well as pens not given etc.

We saw last weekend, how Arsenal went out of their way to lose to the rags & just missed over & over again & managed to lose, even though it seemed impossible.

If not for Chelsea & City, that would be the procedure now in the Premier League. Rags take their pick of players, win comfortably evey week, & even when they have a stinker, they get away with it. That's how the rags would prefer it too; no competition, just like Bayern.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:21 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:For stating this 6 months ago I got called to shit for it:

http://mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic ... it=germany

Of course that was mainly by an aggitated lunatic, but my point still stands.

Turns out Cityger was a well rounded individual after all.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:32 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:For stating this 6 months ago I got called to shit for it:

http://mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic ... it=germany

Of course that was mainly by an aggitated lunatic, but my point still stands.

Tbh, I was really impressed with Boateng, mistakes & all, when we first got him.

I just assumed he would get stronger, cut out most of the mistakes & become less of a shithouse, as he got older.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Not easy no, but chances you'd expect a striker to take and he did so emphatically. He used to miss those a fair bit and get the harder chances but now he's just clinical.

I understand what you mean but if you expect a striker to score the second goal, you have very high expectations. I think that's the type of goal that has a high dull to skill level, in that it looks kind of boring but it's very hard to score. The third one I can agree with more but not completely either.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Do you keep in touch?

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Do you keep in touch?

I would imagine its this time of year when they exchange gifts :-)
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Not easy no, but chances you'd expect a striker to take and he did so emphatically. He used to miss those a fair bit and get the harder chances but now he's just clinical.

I understand what you mean but if you expect a striker to score the second goal, you have very high expectations. I think that's the type of goal that has a high dull to skill level, in that it looks kind of boring but it's very hard to score. The third one I can agree with more but not completely either.

A lot of strikers nowadays are actually quite poor at 1v1, especially against big teams so when a striker who's good at it comes along he really stands out due to how poor the others are. Henry who was one of the best used to say all he did was decide straight away what he was doing and stuck to it. In any given 1v1 I'd expect the striker to be scoring, unless the keeper pulls off a magnificent save.

The two that Aguero got were clinically taken, never in doubt and rarely have I been so confident of a player scoring when running through. They're bread and butter goals to a striker like him.

He's incredibly good atm and staking a claim to be regarded as not just one of, but THE best in the world if he carries on.
.........Behind Bale of course ;)
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby AntMcfc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 pm

One of the most overrated defenders in Europe.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby AntMcfc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:16 pm

For what it's worth, that second Aguero goal is phenomenal. It's so much more than just a good finish. His touches away from the defender are perfection, he's created an angle that's made Neuer's job tough to manage plus he's given himself sufficient space from the defender. The finish itself was great too, on his weaker foot and the angle gets tighter and tighter as Neuer bears down on you there.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Original Dub » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 am

AntMcfc wrote:For what it's worth, that second Aguero goal is phenomenal. It's so much more than just a good finish. His touches away from the defender are perfection, he's created an angle that's made Neuer's job tough to manage plus he's given himself sufficient space from the defender. The finish itself was great too, on his weaker foot and the angle gets tighter and tighter as Neuer bears down on you there.

I agree with most of that.
And I like the way it got all "Mills and Boon" right at the end.

Rraaar...
Original Dub

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum