last piece of the puzzle

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

last piece of the puzzle

Postby Fesan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 am

Many were saying that Dzeko was the last piece of the puzze to ramp a title-challenge... Personally I think we are two players short (three if Balotelli is leaving soon).

Here is my dream and what would really make me feel we are "complete":

1) Sell RSC and Adebayor and bring in Romelu Lukaku. Young but perfect for the PL and as his current coach is saying "has the body of a 25year old". Seems a real gentleman and not a dramaqueen. Yes he is young but would be backup for the three main strikers so no problem. Can not come untill summer though.

2) Don't let Chelsea get David Luiz. We do need another top-top defender. Toure and Kompany doing well but we don't have a real top defender should one of them get injured. He can also cover left back should Kolarov get injured or we need more "height/strength" there.

Both are young and both are top talents, maybe best in world. Should Balotelli leave too I'd take Aguero. Other than these two/three players I'd say all we should look at are youth talents and world class players like Messi etc. (Which would just be a bonus and not a need.

Anyone else watching the transferrumors closely and cannot fathom why we seemingly are not in for these two players?
Fesan
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: last piece of the puzzle

Postby Duckman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:12 am

nice one.
but, if Mario leaves, Id take Neymar over Aguero.
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby The Foggy Blue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 am

Duckman wrote:nice one.
but, if Mario leaves, Id take Neymar over Aguero.

Aguero for me. I've had my fill of Brazillians at this stage.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby s1ty m » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 am

I think a centre half and right back are essential. Kompany is brilliant, the others are a liability. Boateng is just dog dirt. If Balotelli is leaving or if he turns out to be a sick note, then another striker is needed because I am better than Jo.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 am

s1ty m wrote:I think a centre half and right back are essential. Kompany is brilliant, the others are a liability. Boateng is just dog dirt. If Balotelli is leaving or if he turns out to be a sick note, then another striker is needed because I am better than Jo.

I agree, I struggle to see why people have a hard on for K Toure. He is steady at best and is ok for now, but we will need better in the future.

Plus, he is one of our older players and Mancini is keen on getting players who will be around for a long time - so I think it is only a matter of time before he brings a CB in purely on the grounds of age, unless Boyata makes huge strides forwards
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
s1ty m wrote:I think a centre half and right back are essential. Kompany is brilliant, the others are a liability. Boateng is just dog dirt. If Balotelli is leaving or if he turns out to be a sick note, then another striker is needed because I am better than Jo.

I agree, I struggle to see why people have a hard on for K Toure. He is steady at best and is ok for now, but we will need better in the future.

Plus, he is one of our older players and Mancini is keen on getting players who will be around for a long time - so I think it is only a matter of time before he brings a CB in purely on the grounds of age, unless Boyata makes huge strides forwards

Also agree with the points made in both of these posts.

Given the nature of Kolo's strengths and abilities, he might only have one or two years left before he starts to fade :- I always think the centre backs who play on until they're 35, or so, are the big dogs who are dominant in the air and have younger, faster defenders alongside to do a lot of the nippy covering on the ground. Kolo doesn't quite fit into the category of the big dog, dominant in the air, for me.

I really hope Boyota can make it as he seems, at the moment, to have all the potential in the world but the thing that worries me most (heaven forfend) is Vincent K getting injured and being out of the team for any length of time. Lescott and Kolo together just don't seem to complement each other for me so, on that basis, we've probably got to buy if Bobby Manc doesn't consider Boyota to be a viable prospect at this stage.

Trouble is, although I'd like us to have a colossus, I also want one who is mobile and who is good on the ball (it is City after all).....does David Luiz fit this bill, or are there others who might ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Mike J » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 am

we need a top class centre back to partner vinny. toure is prone to errors and lescott isnt good enough imo. Luiz would fit the bill.

also need a back up for silva. we should try and sign ganso from santos. major, major talent.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm

To consider Dzeko as the last piece of the jigsaw, implies the job is sorted and the squad is complete. That can never be the case. There will always be better players who become available that will enhance our playing power.
That said, Dzeko is a major piece in our jigsaw in that we get so much more than just the player. His inclusion also allows Mancini a number of tactical options we never had before.
Just being on the pitch means that defenses will no longer simply be able to focus on stopping Tevez to stunt our attack. They must mow spread their defense and thus give Tevez a little more room. In the same way, it will also give more space for Silav to operate in.
I don't think it's any coincidence that Francis Lee became more prolific when teamed up with the heading genius that was Wynn Davies. Rosler similarly benefitted from Quinn's presence.

I am quite certain that Kolo won't be the future for City's defence and that Mancini fully understands that Kompany will need a new partner in the near future. YaYa won't go on forever and a heir to his position also has to be found.

With the emphasis on developing our academy and buying more youthful players, I see our future coming more and more from that direction.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:59 pm

How's that ugly twat Chiellini at Juve doing these days? Not seen that much of him this season for some reason but he was constantly being linked with us in the past, Bob must know all about him & Juve may well miss the Chump's Lg again this season. He must be due for a move. I was never 100% totally convinced by him but he's a rough arsed git who could surely adapt to the Prem under an Italian manager?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:How's that ugly twat Chiellini at Juve doing these days? Not seen that much of him this season for some reason but he was constantly being linked with us in the past, Bob must know all about him & Juve may well miss the Chump's Lg again this season. He must be due for a move. I was never 100% totally convinced by him but he's a rough arsed git who could surely adapt to the Prem under an Italian manager?

These are great descriptions of him and very appropriate. I like them very much.

How old is he now though ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:How's that ugly twat Chiellini at Juve doing these days? Not seen that much of him this season for some reason but he was constantly being linked with us in the past, Bob must know all about him & Juve may well miss the Chump's Lg again this season. He must be due for a move. I was never 100% totally convinced by him but he's a rough arsed git who could surely adapt to the Prem under an Italian manager?

These are great descriptions of him and very appropriate. I like them very much.

How old is he now though ??

He's 26 if I'm not mistaken.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Fish111 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 pm

We need quality defenders, that'll then complete the puzzle for me. Well, until Tevez and Balotelli leave.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Fish111 wrote:We need quality defenders, that'll then complete the puzzle for me. Well, until Tevez and Balotelli leave.

That's a sobering thought. Hope it never comes to pass for a few years at least.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Lahm anyone?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum