Relegation for Villa

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Relegation for Villa

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm

If Villa were to be relegated at the end of this season - which is not beyond the bounds of possibility (although tonight's news about the potential signing of Darren Bent might cut across this) - there could be a clear-out of some of their players and, on that basis, the vultures (us included ??) might start circling.

If this were the case, are there any Villa players we might be in for and who might significantly enhance our squad (and before anyone suggests it, I'm not really thinking about Richard Dunne and Superman Ireland).
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Re: Relegation for Villa

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm

No....

Ashley Young is an exciting player, Downing would be useful back-up on the left, Albrighton, Clark and Delfouneso have bags of potential. But not one of their players would be in my City 11.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Crossie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Maybe their keeper if Given leaves.

Ashley Young will be off to the rags, he hasnt really improved much in the last 2 years. Agbonglahor really isnt all that good. Petrov is useful but getting on abit.

How times have changed.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Chinners » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:13 pm

We've already had their best two players in recent seasons. I'd take Young as a decent squad player, thats it
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:21 pm

I think Albrighton is a quite exciting young player. If he could settle for being a bit part player and see training with our superstars as a chance to develop as a player, I would take him.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Patrick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 pm

They could deliver me a decent curry, that's about all that would make me feel better about the future
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Albrighton as a player to develop. thats about it.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby HeyMark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:41 pm

albrighton and clarke would be worth a punt to see if they could make it
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Ireland looks good
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:14 am

Albrighton has had some good moments this year but it has to be said, he has a hell of a konk on him. Is he not a relative of Phil Thompson by any chance?

As for Villa's squad, Ashley Young is the only player I'd touch as someone correctly pointed out, we've already had their best 2 players.

As fo Ireland, his downward spiral continues. Porb Fulham for him next, with Hughes with his am around him telling him how wonderful he is every 20 seconds, as that might make him give a toss about the team results.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 am

Considering that last couple of seasons, they were considered to be in that top 6 grouping. I never expected them to melt down so badly. Relegation is a real danger for them.
It makes you think that similar could happen to Liverpool if King Kenny can't turn it round. Reminiscent of ourselves when we brought our messiah back and it all went tits up?
The rags seem to be holding up far better than I ever expected but I wonder at what point they could implode.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby paulmclaren » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 am

london blue 2 wrote:Ireland looks good
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby Kyle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Albrighton has had some good moments this year but it has to be said, he has a hell of a konk on him. Is he not a relative of Phil Thompson by any chance?

As for Villa's squad, Ashley Young is the only player I'd touch as someone correctly pointed out, we've already had their best 2 players.

As fo Ireland, his downward spiral continues. Porb Fulham for him next, with Hughes with his am around him telling him how wonderful he is every 20 seconds, as that might make him give a toss about the team results.

Oh that is harsh about Ireland. He was a young lad and to develop properly you need a good run of games. He stopped getting a run of games before he left us for whatever reason, and just hasn't settled properly at Villa. If he went to a side like Fulham, Sunderland, even Liverpool at this point, and got a run of games, he would begin playing at a high level once again. It was just bad luck/bad timing during an important time in his development. Quite frankly, I hope Johnson continues to get games here and there so the exact same doesn't happen to him.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:If Villa were to be relegated at the end of this season - which is not beyond the bounds of possibility (although tonight's news about the potential signing of Darren Bent might cut across this) - there could be a clear-out of some of their players and, on that basis, the vultures (us included ??) might start circling.

If this were the case, are there any Villa players we might be in for and who might significantly enhance our squad (and before anyone suggests it, I'm not really thinking about Richard Dunne and Superman Ireland).

No
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby TonyM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

I'd have Ireland back. Still think as an understudy to Silva he'd develop into a super player.

Sick of saying it but I would have thought a lot more highly of Mancini if he developed Ireland and not cast him aside. I like to see us holding onto our academy players. Ireland was the best one we had. Be interesting to see if MJ can make it.....

I am the lonely distant voice crying for my long lost hero .... Hear me despair.
TonyM
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

Kyle wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Albrighton has had some good moments this year but it has to be said, he has a hell of a konk on him. Is he not a relative of Phil Thompson by any chance?

Oh that is harsh about Ireland. He was a young lad and to develop properly you need a good run of games. He stopped getting a run of games before he left us for whatever reason, and just hasn't settled properly at Villa. If he went to a side like Fulham, Sunderland, even Liverpool at this point, and got a run of games, he would begin playing at a high level once again. It was just bad luck/bad timing during an important time in his development. Quite frankly, I hope Johnson continues to get games here and there so the exact same doesn't happen to him.

He didn't get a good run of games for us, because in the good run of games he did get under Hughes, he played shit and whined about being played in a different role. As soon as Mancini came in he figured that out, but still gave him a chance which Ireland failed to take.

Fair play to Houllier for spotting Ireland as an imposter early doors. Why should he give him a run, they are in a relegation battle and cannot afford to carry passengers.

I thank him for his season of brilliance, but Steven Ireland is too mentally disturbed to ever make it as a top quality player in the Premier League - and it has zero to do with his ability, and everything to do with his attitude.

As for the OP - I would be scouting around to nab their youth players. I don't see that any of the senior squad would have an impact right now.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 am

mr_nool wrote:I think Albrighton is a quite exciting young player. If he could settle for being a bit part player and see training with our superstars as a chance to develop as a player, I would take him.

Albrighton for me too, with an eye on the future. He wouldn't get a lookin at the moment in our midfield but he's young with potential, and one or two of our players are somewhat 'mature'.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby dazby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 am

TonyM wrote:I'd have Ireland back. Still think as an understudy to Silva he'd develop into a super player.

Sick of saying it but I would have thought a lot more highly of Mancini if he developed Ireland and not cast him aside. I like to see us holding onto our academy players. Ireland was the best one we had. Be interesting to see if MJ can make it.....

I am the lonely distant voice crying for my long lost hero .... Hear me despair.

Amen brother.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Dameerto wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I think Albrighton is a quite exciting young player. If he could settle for being a bit part player and see training with our superstars as a chance to develop as a player, I would take him.

Albrighton for me too, with an eye on the future. He wouldn't get a lookin at the moment in our midfield but he's young with potential, and one or two of our players are somewhat 'mature'.

Aye, I have liked the look of him the three or four times I have seen him.

I don't think for a second that they'll go down though.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby ashton287 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:No....

Ashley Young is an exciting player, Downing would be useful back-up on the left, Albrighton, Clark and Delfouneso have bags of potential. But not one of their players would be in my City 11.

They wouldnt be in our starting 11 but could be used in FA, carling and against some of the shitter teams when our first 11 have just got back from twatting barcelona 4-1 in the CL.

With shauny going/not good enough even if he wasnt. Ashley young or downing i'd take. Mancini not being a fanof wingers would probably be a no though.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum