Darren Bent Hands In Transfer Request

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Darren Bent Hands In Transfer Request

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

I wonder if they'll try and throw 'You Know Who' in as part of the deal?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Wonder if Sunderland will try and get Ireland as part of the deal? They are long term admirers.

Very true. I think this will happen.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 pm

You have to imagine that Villa will be offloading some players.

Ashley Young?
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Or they could use the cash to fund a permanent deal for Ned.
ross.mcfc

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Or they could use the cash to fund a permanent deal for Ned.

6m and they can have Jo for free.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:11 pm

If it is Villa, let's hope it's not completed before the weekend; he's be bound to score otherwise!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:13 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:You have to imagine that Villa will be offloading some players.

Ashley Young?

Looking likely, I mean MON left because the pot was empty and now suddenly Villa have 24million to burn on one player straight after spending 6 million on Makoun...

Young has to be on his way.

Piss poor ambition from Bent btw, I mean Villa are a good club but Sunderland stand a chance of finishing top 6 this year, Villa will be lucky to avoid the drop and with the aging squad they have you can't see it getting much better soon either...

Strange transfer this....
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Mase » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Very strange if it is Villa. Really can't see why anyone would go there while Gérard Houllier is still incharge!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Maybe their rich owner has decided to stop being such a tight barsteward and invest some cash.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby aaron bond » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Blue Blood wrote:

Ashley Young?

Looking likely, I mean MON left because the pot was empty and now suddenly Villa have 24million to burn on one player straight after spending 6 million on Makoun...

Piss poor ambition from Bent btw, I mean Villa are a good club but Sunderland stand a chance of finishing top 6 this year, Villa will be lucky to avoid the drop and with the aging squad they have you can't see it getting much better soon either...

I'm surprised you're the first person to mention this. I find it strange. Sunderland are having a good season and could potentially build a platform to cement themselves as a top 6-7 team. It seems a weird transfer to make at this stage of season. I would have thought Bent would at least waited until the summer to see how Sunderland performed and then reviewed his options.

Villa do need a striker and he fits the bill. I think he's a very good player who will do well at Villa.

I am a bit confused why O'Neill wasn't given these funds though, or is just that the owner now is fearing relegation and that would be financially catastrophic for the club and his own funds?!?!
aaron bond

Supporter of: City

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm

aaron bond wrote:
I am a bit confused why O'Neill wasn't given these funds though,

MON's record in the transfer market is not great. Warnock, Sidwell, Harewood, Davis. Shorey, Bain, Reo-Coker.
ross.mcfc

Postby Wooders » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm

I remember a rag mate saying how he prefers how randy lerner handles things at villa compared to how our owners act (without actually knowing anything about either owner, or what they do for their clubs) and that our owners should take a page out of lerners book at the end of last season... now they are in the drop zone and we're title contenders he is looking very silly indeed (not that it is hard)
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

Ashley Young?

[b]I'm surprised you're the first person to mention this.[/b] I find it strange. Sunderland are having a good season and could potentially build a platform to cement themselves as a top 6-7 team. It seems a weird transfer to make at this stage of season. I would have thought Bent would at least waited until the summer to see how Sunderland performed and then reviewed his options.

Villa do need a striker and he fits the bill. I think he's a very good player who will do well at Villa.

I am a bit confused why O'Neill wasn't given these funds though, or is just that the owner now is fearing relegation and that would be financially catastrophic for the club and his own funds?!?!

He wasn't. I was.

I suppose the thing to bear in mind is that Villa probably won't go down as things are, and 100% won't go down with Bent's goals.

Every transfer price has a subtext. If his goals keep them up he's pretty much invaluable. He wouldn't cost as much in the close season.

Still think he's be better off at Liverpool though. Just what they're crying out for (some fucking movement up front!) and the fans would love him there.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ryanmcfc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Liverpool have made a bid for Downing.
ryanmcfc
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel de Jong

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Wooders wrote:I remember a rag mate saying how he prefers how randy lerner handles things at villa compared to how our owners act (without actually knowing anything about either owner, or what they do for their clubs) and that our owners should take a page out of lerners book at the end of last season... now they are in the drop zone and we're title contenders he is looking very silly indeed (not that it is hard)

What people don't seem to understand is that with so called "sensible" approach you can break into top six maybe. But you'd have hard time, apart from maybe one fluke season, to break into top 4 and no chance whatsoever to win the big one.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm

ryanmcfc wrote:Liverpool have made a bid for Downing.

They could do with him too.

That team has no pace, no options up front and no width. With Downing, Bent and Gerrard back they'd be a decent side in my opinion.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Wooders » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 pm

he;'s probably been asked to do this because isn't there some crazy rule that if you sell a player who hasn't handed in a transfer request, you have to pay off his wages ??
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Wooders wrote:he;'s probably been asked to do this because isn't there some crazy rule that if you sell a player who hasn't handed in a transfer request, you have to pay off his wages ??

bingo.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby aaron bond » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Wooders wrote:I remember a rag mate saying how he prefers how randy lerner handles things at villa compared to how our owners act (without actually knowing anything about either owner, or what they do for their clubs) and that our owners should take a page out of lerners book at the end of last season... now they are in the drop zone and we're title contenders he is looking very silly indeed (not that it is hard)

What people don't seem to understand is that with so called "sensible" approach you can break into top six maybe. But you'd have hard time, apart from maybe one fluke season, to break into top 4 and no chance whatsoever to win the big one.

This pretty much sums it up and is what the pundits on the Sunday Supplement are finally starting to realise!!!

The way we have gone about our business is THE only way to gatecrash the Champions League funded group of elite clubs. I admire what Randy Lerner has tried to do at Villa, but their league position shows how far it will get you. Three top 6 finishes in a row is about as good as it will whilst he's in charge. I'm not slagging him off at all, but people have to realise there are limits to what you can achieve with his methods.
aaron bond

Postby Beeks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:If it is Villa, let's hope it's not completed before the weekend; he's be bound to score otherwise!

Exactly...he'll be chomping at the bit to score...typical city timing
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum