Sheikh Mansour & City Cannot Afford One Thing: Failure

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sheikh Mansour & City Cannot Afford One Thing: Failure

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Read this a couple of days back and although I did enjoy the read, I didn't like the way he blamed a 2 year set-back on Hughes. He stated on a few occassions about all Hughes injury prone players but failed to mention the likes of Nige, Carlos, Vince et al who have all gone on to make their spots permanent. Also, I think any manager who was in the seat at the time would have had a very difficult time in getting us in the CL due to the amount of new faces coming in in such a short space of time.

History is history whichever way you look at it, and Hughes had a role to play in where we are now.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Very positive spin bollox, but nothing new or revealing.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby ant london » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Load of nonsense spouted in that article apart from the title which is spot on.

Written by someone with an anti-Hughes agenda and a poor grasp of the English language who rehashes lots of things we all know whilst treating his all to his "insight" re our previous manager. Could have easily been written by a couple of those who are lauding it (above) as a "great read"...although even I admit that they could have done a better job.

I don't disagree at all that Hughes clearly had some blindspots and weaknesses (the stubborness and inflexibility that Antti references were quite apparent). However, I would equally say that Mancini has shown himself to be far from perfect thus far.

I'm quite happy that Roberto is City manager. He's doing a lot better than Hughes was at this point last year clearly but those who maintain that "Mancini has put everything right and built "his City" from scratch" (ie. disregarding the good work that Hughes did do, the players he bought and the progress we made post-Sven under him) are in cloud cuckoo land
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 pm

ant london wrote:Load of nonsense spouted in that article apart from the title which is spot on.

Written by someone with an anti-Hughes agenda and a poor grasp of the English language who rehashes lots of things we all know whilst treating his all to his "insight" re our previous manager. Could have easily been written by a couple of those who are lauding it (above) as a "great read"...although even I admit that they could have done a better job.

I don't disagree at all that Hughes clearly had some blindspots and weaknesses (the stubborness and inflexibility that Antti references were quite apparent). However, I would equally say that Mancini has shown himself to be far from perfect thus far.

I'm quite happy that Roberto is City manager. He's doing a lot better than Hughes was at this point last year clearly but those who maintain that "Mancini has put everything right and built "his City" from scratch" (ie. disregarding the good work that Hughes did do, the players he bought and the progress we made post-Sven under him) are in cloud cuckoo land

You can tell the ones with the agenda(and a hangup bordering on stalker level obsessiveness) who focus on one part of the article and ignore all others. Then of course they belittle the opinions of anyone who read a positive article on City and enjoyed it.

Lemme think who did that....
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

shuddup fool

I didn't ignore what the article said.....just acknowledged that it doesn't say much new.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby saulman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Great article. Really good read.

But 85000 capacity? Have I missed something here?
Has there been any more information of this?
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Wooders » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

yeah I can't see how we can nearly double the capacity when being on the top tier seems like you are watching the game from outer space as it is ??
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Wooders wrote:yeah I can't see how we can nearly double the capacity when being on the top tier seems like you are watching the game from outer space as it is ??

Last time I was over, I was sitting on the last row of of third tier and really, that's as far away from the pitch as you can possibly put people.

Also, as far as the structures (judging without actually seeing the blueprints but with trained eye) go in CoMS, it could be expanded to 60k, maybe 65. 85k would be impossible without basically ripping it down and rebuilding it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 pm

ant london wrote:shuddup fool

I didn't ignore what the article said.....just acknowledged that it doesn't say much new.

So you think you have a hangup re:Hughes/Mancini too then?

Well first step is admitting it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Slim wrote:
ant london wrote:shuddup fool

So you think you have a hangup re:Hughes/Mancini too then?

Well first step is admitting it.

The bee in my bonnet is related to the above managers but my specific ire is directed towards the resident revisionists.

I freely admit my continued state of vexation in that regard
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:11 pm

King Kev wrote:I have just read THIS article and thought it was worth sharing.

The wrinkles have been ironed out and the squad investment has been made.

The tools have been bought and are being sharpened, ready for the real fights to come.

Without a doubt there will be massive spending in the future, but it wont be where many people expect.

It hasn't hasn't been without its issues, but Sheikh Mansour's period of ownership at Manchester City is pretty well on target, even though most of the world has tried not to notice.

Let me start by dispelling a few myths and clearing up a few facts for the readers of the "red tops" and the vast majority of football fans who fail to scratch the surface and so miss the detail.

Firstly, when ADUG (which is the company owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan) bought the team, Manchester City were in a truly parlous state.

The previous owner, Thaksin Shinawatra had purchased some middle ranking footballers by taking out loans, guaranteed against the following season's TV revenues, but that wasn't enough.

On at least three occasions a private loan from John Wardle (the man who sold the club to Shinawatra) had made sure that the wages had been paid. These loans were in the region of £1m a time. Those short-term loans were repaid, but it doesn't hide the fact that Thaksin had all but bankrupted the club in a little over six months.

Thaksin also sacked Sven Goran Erickson and replaced him with Mark Hughes, a decision that has perhaps delayed City's more recent rise by two years.

But the Thai businessman had seen the writing was on the wall when the majority of his cash was frozen by the Thai government (and remains frozen). In very simple terms, Thaksin was not rich enough to be a Premier League owner.

What Thaksin did have though was contacts and it was through these contacts that Manchester City were sold to ADUG.

This company was remarkably generous from Day 1. But truth be told, it was generous even before it officially bought the club as it underwrote the purchase of Shaun Wright Phillips, and perhaps other players as well, which enabled the club to start the squad building they knew was needed.

The first big name to arrive at City under full ADUG ownership is the one that most people remember as it truly was a remarkable thing to watch happen. But that was also the wrong man to buy for footballing reasons.

It was, however, the statement that needed to be made for non-footballing reasons.

I think it is worthwhile to take a moment here and ask ourselves, "What investment would it take to make Bolton a contender for the Premier League title and get them into the Champions League?"

That is the same question that ADUG had to answer about City in the run-up to the January transfer window.

The answer of course, is a lot of money and better players (and perhaps a different manager?).

Let's also not forget that at the time of ADUG's early spending Liverpool were yet to implode so violently and Aston Villa were still there in the top five, with Spurs putting pressure on them ahead of City's challenge by at least two years.

So ADUG needed to spend big or stay out of contention.

But that was the point at which they made their first mistake. They were too honorable and stuck by Mark Hughes and backed him and his vision for success to the tune of some £150m.

It didn't work for many reasons, chief amongst them is the fact that Hughes simply isn't, and will never be good enough to win a title.

The players Hughes invested in were too old and too limited by injury.

They simply were not good enough and the Hughes-managed team would very likely have leapt from the 10th place to the top six, but would have been nowhere near good enough to get in the Champions League.

Also, because of the age and injury-prone nature of Hughes' team, even more investment would be needed sooner rather than later.

ADUG saw this too late to save themselves a lot of money and a lot of bad press.

They pulled the trigger on Hughes' reign and got a man of real quality instead in Roberto Mancini.

That change of manager was not perfect. But it was handled no worse than Spurs' appointment of Redknapp or the recent changes at Liverpool. But City lost the PR battle there and that, as well as the Robinho purchase, has stuck in the minds of far too many.

Once ADUG had their own man they also had free run at their own vision.

The money being spent now was (in the majority of cases) spent on young talent.

No more Wright Phillips's and more Adam Johnsons was the order of the day.

Although there are quite a few players kicking their heels during this period of transition, I am sure the board at City see that as a consequence of bad decisions going back two years. In simple terms, they can live with it for now.

The players who have been brought in under Mancini are young, eager and have the very best of attitudes. That means the emerging threat of UEFA's Financial Fair Play Rules have to be considered, but not worried about.

The spending of the last few windows need not be repeated again. It's about adding here and there rather than replacing an entire team.

As I said earlier, what would it take to make Bolton title contenders? The big investments in City have been made, time to tinker now.

The back room staff at City are hugely more capable than they were under Hughes.

It must also be said that away from the coaching staff very few people are appointed by Mancini, something that was not the case with Hughes.

From the kits that City fans can buy, the website that they interact with, the use of social media and the massive investments in the supporter experience with better food and a real family stand, ADUG has made an investment.

All of it provides the best that can currently be offered and that investment continues.

The Academy is also being developed at a starling pace with many millions already having been invested and many, many more millions to follow.

But the reality of today is that City are now seen as a big name, and that name has quality stamped all over it.

Not that shabby in just over two years.

City are associated ever more with Abu Dhabi and the best companies from the UAE.

These ties to the homeland of ADUG are key to City's future but they are also the reason why City cannot be allowed to fail.

More money will be spent if it is needed. No doubt people will scoff at the idea of Messi playing for City but it may happen in the next five years.

There is more to come as well.

City are to change the way football clubs do business.

UEFA's FFPR are the reason for that and City have the answers.

They are finalising the details of the new training centre, which will be developed close to the City of Manchester Stadium. It will be the best in the world and cost, some suggest, £100m.

Then there is the stadium itself, which currently holds about 48,000.

The plans are in place to increase that to a staggering final figure of 85,000.

But by the time that capacity is reached the stadium will be the jewel in the crown of an area which will have been changed beyond all recognition.

Best guesses suggest over £1bn (that's billion) will be invested in the area around the stadium in the next five to eight years creating a visitor destination of "international importance."

Once these pieces of the jigsaw are in place, Platini and his FFPR will be irrelevant as the revenue from that investment will be available to the football club.

None of this future development is predicated on City winning anything, but it is true that having a football club like that not winning isn't acceptable.

City will be changing the way a football club does many things and in City's case it starts with changing they way the club is viewed.

So City are already ahead of the game as many now consider them title contenders. Who would have thought that a mere two years ago?

As I have always stated we are dealing with something very special in Sheik Mansour.

We are the luckiest club in the world but should not let get this in the way that we are going to dominate English Football.

Our Owner Decrees and it will happen!
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby AlpsMaster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

Logic dictates success is inevitable if that analysis is accurate.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Slim wrote:
ant london wrote:Load of nonsense spouted in that article apart from the title which is spot on.

You can tell the ones with the agenda(and a hangup bordering on stalker level obsessiveness) who focus on one part of the article and ignore all others. Then of course they belittle the opinions of anyone who read a positive article on City and enjoyed it.

and the same can be said vice versa my dear Brother.....as it is evidently shown throughout this thread
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 pm

So many fucking hughes lickers still going on and on.

Sad really.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby 1950 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:15 pm

There seems to be a basic understanding on this site: If an article is pro-City, no matter how redundant, poorly written or ultimately erroneous it may be, the author deserves a Pulitzer Prize.

If you don't agree, you'll be branded a 'Hughes licker' or, far worse, a 'rag'. Shameful, really.
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby Slim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

and the same can be said vice versa my dear Brother.....as it is evidently shown throughout this thread

Very good dear brother(BTW, brother is not a proper noun unless you are a monk, something you shouldn't have to be told). I said I enjoyed the article and every other reply to this thread was either one where I was directly or broadly addressed. Can you please provide this evidence in any of my posts that points to the agenda I have against a manager who hasn't even been here for 18 months? Even when Ant gave me an open-ended opportunity to bring up 2 months without a league win or the laughable transfer pursuits of Lescott and RSC or the fact that with an unlimited budget he managed to take us from 9th to 10th, I think someone with an agenda would have jumped at that chance, however evidently I did not.(I see the irony in pointing out what I didn't say by saying it, funny huh?)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 am

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

Very good dear brother(BTW, brother is not a proper noun unless you are a monk, something you shouldn't have to be told). I said I enjoyed the article and every other reply to this thread was either one where I was directly or broadly addressed. Can you please provide this evidence in any of my posts that points to the agenda I have against a manager who hasn't even been here for 18 months? Even when Ant gave me an open-ended opportunity to bring up 2 months without a league win or the laughable transfer pursuits of Lescott and RSC or the fact that with an unlimited budget he managed to take us from 9th to 10th, I think someone with an agenda would have jumped at that chance, however evidently I did not.(I see the irony in pointing out what I didn't say by saying it, funny huh?)

Mr fucking detail has dropped a huge bollock this time. Wanna 2nd go at it?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

Mr fucking detail has dropped a huge bollock this time. Wanna 2nd go at it?

07-08
9th Manchester City 38 15 10 13 45 53 -8 55

08-09
10th Manchester City 38 15 5 18 58 50 8 50

Sorry?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:09 am

[/quote]

07-08

08-09

Sorry?[/quote]

Taking us from 9th to 10th he did.

Unlimited budget that season though? Even the most hardened haters wouldn't try and claim a last day buy out allowed Hughes the pick of the world.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:10 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

07-08

08-09

Sorry?[/quote]

Taking us from 9th to 10th he did.

Unlimited budget that season though? Even the most hardened haters wouldn't try and claim a last day buy out allowed Hughes the pick of the world.[/quote]

Does January not exist for you as a month?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum