Transfers Success Rates 2008-10

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Transfers Success Rates 2008-10

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 pm

AlpsMaster wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:If we are talking about other clubs blowing it in the transfer market Liverpool have to be the prime example

Voronin
Kromkamp
Bruno Cheyrou
Aquilani
Cisse
Morientes
Nunez
Robbie Keane
El hadj Diouf
Albert Rieira
Poulsen
Salif Diao
Mark Gonzalez
Andre Dossena
Chris Kikland
Paul Konchesky
Ryan Babel
Pennant
Glen Johnson

True.

Just remember a few more Rag failures:

Taibi
Djemba-Djemba (so bad they named him twice!)
Miller
Cruyff
Goram

You're going way further back when you look at the scum, scouse and chelsea transfers, though.
In that case you might wanna consider corradi, dabo, samaras, da beasly, de vlieger, et al for us as well.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby AlpsMaster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:08 pm

mr_nool wrote: You're going way further back when you look at the scum, scouse and chelsea transfers, though.
In that case you might wanna consider corradi, dabo, samaras, da beasly, de vlieger, et al for us as well.

Fair point to a point.

However up until the ADUG takeover we often had to resort to bottom feeding as we could not compete financially with the big boys so going back that far with us would also not give a fair comparison.

Since we have been able to compete (dominate) financially, my argument is our success rate with transfers in probably as good or better than the other big spenders (spread over a longer period I grant). But we are often portrayed as the wasteful club.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Twobob » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am

ant london wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Wooders wrote:good signings
Kompany, Bellers, NDJ, Kolo, Barry, lescott, Tev's, Kolorov, Yaya, Silva, Balla, Johnno

Middle o the road/jury is still out
Paddy, SWP, Milner, Boateng, Given

Rubbish
ADE, RSC, Bridge

Think you're being harsh on Given mate. He was an instant hit and made a big difference, also him joining forced Hart out on loan which did wonders for him.

Ade wasn't rubbish either, actually I quite like Bridge too. Stop being a bully then I guess.

Shay is an interesting one to debate....at the time it seemed that we were signing him to shore us up at the back and help us push for CL last season, the assumption being that Joe would cost us some potential points due to his rawness

However, as it turns out we missed top 4 and Joe played a blinder in a shitty team

If I could turn back the clock I wouldn't have signed Given

I thought he was step up from Hart when he was signed but the more I saw him over the season the more his lack of command of his area/aerially bugged/concerned me. I don't think the quality of our defence this season is simply down to the Mancini effect (and its effect on certain players)...Brilliant shot stopper though he is I really do not think Shay helped the back 4 settle and develop proper form last season.

Far from a rubbish signing but perhaps an unnecessary one

I loved the Signing of Shay at the time - I was under the impression that Joe had talent but needed to get the experiance of playing week in week out to develop.

I think the year at Birmingham really helped him develop into the top class keeper he is today - He is far more vocal and commanding in his area now than he was before going on loan. Yes he could have moulded himself while playing for us but how much patience would we have afforded him if he'd had a dip in form or looked nervous with the players in front of him?

The year away was really important for Joe so Shay was an integeral part of that too, his experiance helped to bring us close to the CL spot but It wasnt just Shay that lost that for us (dont forget he was injured towards the end of the season too).

So I agree that he was far from rubbish, but have to say that he was a nescesary signing at the time.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Beeks wrote:
Wooders wrote:
Rubbish
ADE

As much as the guy frustrated me I think you're way off the mark with Rubbish

He's got a good goals to game ratio in sky blue and scored some valuable goals

I think it's the way he applies himself is the reason Bobby has discarded him..I certainly don't consider him a complete failure

How many games did Ade play between coming back from his ban, and the ACN shootings? He started off brilliantly (4 in 6), and scored 14 in 26 league games. Definitely not rubbish. I think he's just lost the plot, and doesn't want to be here any more. A fresh start elsewhere may be the best for all concerned.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum