Spot the Difference v Wolves

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Spot the Difference v Wolves

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:48 pm

So Mancini has got his new boy all 6'3" of him and is adamant that he is different from what we have, ok that's obvious, but Mancini is implying that the different player that Dzeko is will translate into a difference in play from us. He is going to get thrown straight into the mix v Wolves at home and we are all going to be looking at how this extra dimension can help us break open teams that are sitting back in numbers. I dont envy Wolves as they have to come and be the guinea pigs in trying to guess what City are going to do to take advantage of their new asset. Even if Dzeko is a bit lost to begin with he is going to give the Wolves defence something to have to worry about and cover at all times, so the effect at minimum should be an extra bit of space for others.

So assuming the usual culprits behind deJong and assuming that with 5 days left we have everyone available.. if you were Mancini how would you set up for us to try and take advantage of this new dimension in our attacking options ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Spot the Difference v Wolves

Postby Kladze » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 pm

................. Hart ...................

Zabba .... Toure .... Kompany ......Kolarov

............ De Jong .............

.....Silva .....Yaya ...... Barry

..............Tevez
.........................Dzeko
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 pm

....... De Jong........... Barry
....................Yaya
..........Tevez ............Silva
...................Dzeko
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Chinners » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 pm

.......De Jong.......
..... AJ ...... ....... Barry .....

...... Silva ......

......Tevez.....Dzeko........
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm

I think the thing he gives us that the other strikers don't is that he's fit, not a mental case , not Jo & can head the ball.

It depends on Silva & Balotelli's fitness as to who starts where, I should think. Jo started at CF with Tevez as part of the 3 behind v Leicester, in the position Yaya Toure usually plays, but it became a bit blurred after that as we chased the goal. I recon Tevez was still basically playing that position for the 1st half though. Second half Jo went to the left.

If both Yaya & Silva are fit, it's a case of whether Mancini pushes Yaya back to replace Barry or DeJong or leaves him playing that advanced position, in which case Tevez would presumably move to the right of that 3, with Silva on the left & big Ed up front but it's only a loose formation really.

Dzeko can play left side or deeper if he's needed to though, so all the strikers can change position & we also could easily go 4-4-2 & then back again at any point. I think it'll be Dzeko CF to start with but almost anything is possible when all are fit.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ryanmcfc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm

So you think it's certain that he starts? I certainly hope so, but he won't have played in nearly a month.
ryanmcfc
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel de Jong

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

ryanmcfc wrote:So you think it's certain that he starts? I certainly hope so, but he won't have played in nearly a month.

If Balotelli isn't fit, it's a choice between Dzeko, who hasn't played for a month & Jo, who has. I know which one I'd go for.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ryanmcfc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
ryanmcfc wrote:So you think it's certain that he starts? I certainly hope so, but he won't have played in nearly a month.

If Balotelli isn't fit, it's a choice between Dzeko, who hasn't played for a month & Jo, who has. I know which one I'd go for.

Oh, me too.

What's Balotelli's prognosis anyways? Is this is another of those slight knocks that's going to require months out and surgery?
ryanmcfc
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel de Jong

Postby ayrshireblue » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

---------------------Hart--------------------------
Zab-----Toure--------------Kompany---Kolarov
----------------------NDJ-------------------------
-------------Yaya-----------Barry-----------------
--------Tevez------------------------Silva--------
--------------------Dzeko--------------------------
Assuming all the above are fit. Milner for Yaya if doubtful, AJ for Silva likewise.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:23 pm

ryanmcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Oh, me too.

What's Balotelli's prognosis anyways? Is this is another of those slight knocks that's going to require months out and surgery?

It was said in the press he'd be out for a few weeks, possibly needing a small operation, but there's nothing from the club to confirm that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Going by mancini's comments then yes he will throw him straight in. Even if he doesn't though for whatever reason the point still stands that Mancini has clearly stated he thinks that Dzeko is the difference that we need. Im kind of interpreting that as he will be a focal point.. mainly due to his height and heading ability. We hardly ever cross the ball, quite obviously as recently we dont have anyone to challenge for a header.

Anyways what is going to be fuclin interesting is how Bob goes about setting us up, especially at home. As Ted says there are so many options its kind of silly. I'd assume that deJong will stay in there for now, more so if the FBs are expected to go forward. So that leaves the front 5, which if we can be sure about anything will all move around. The great thing about Dzeko is that he can play deeper so even if he is nominally on point he can fall back and play a supporting role looking for assists or going for shots.

Assuming all fit we have: Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, Silva, AJ, Yaya, Milner.. supported by Barry and the two FBs
So far Mancini has had Barry on the left side and Yaya on the right with deJong covering Yaya more than Barry.
If that continues there is room for 3 in front of them.. so the question is, especially at home can we drop one of Barry or Yaya and have 4 roaming around in front?

FB - deJong - Barry - FB
Silva - Tevez - Dzeko - Balotelli
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:28 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:---------------------Hart--------------------------
Assuming all the above are fit. Milner for Yaya if doubtful, AJ for Silva likewise.

That's a fair shout for the midfield & I'd be happy enough to see him try it but Bob seems to like playing Yaya further forward so he may be behind Dzeko, between Tevez & Silva in a 3. (If Silva is fit)

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

Going by mancini's comments then yes he will throw him straight in. Even if he doesn't though for whatever reason the point still stands that Mancini has clearly stated he thinks that Dzeko is the difference that we need. Im kind of interpreting that as he will be a focal point.. mainly due to his height and heading ability. We hardly ever cross the ball, quite obviously as recently we dont have anyone to challenge for a header.

Anyways what is going to be fuclin interesting is how Bob goes about setting us up, especially at home. As Ted says there are so many options its kind of silly. I'd assume that deJong will stay in there for now, more so if the FBs are expected to go forward. So that leaves the front 5, which if we can be sure about anything will all move around. The great thing about Dzeko is that he can play deeper so even if he is nominally on point he can fall back and play a supporting role looking for assists or going for shots.

Assuming all fit we have: Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, Silva, AJ, Yaya, Milner.. supported by Barry and the two FBs
So far Mancini has had Barry on the left side and Yaya on the right with deJong covering Yaya more than Barry.
If that continues there is room for 3 in front of them.. so the question is, especially at home can we drop one of Barry or Yaya and have 4 roaming around in front?

FB - deJong - Barry - FB

Yaya normally plays centrally as the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, almost like a 2nd striker.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

FB - deJong - Barry - FB

Yaya normally plays centrally as the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, almost like a 2nd striker.

He doesn't tend to go forward on the right though.. always on the left. Even when he gets the ball deep on the right and makes a run he tends to go across to the left.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:09 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

FB - deJong - Barry - FB

He doesn't tend to go forward on the right though.. always on the left. Even when he gets the ball deep on the right and makes a run he tends to go across to the left.

But imo, the role he plays now is to have a physical presence centrally, behind the striker & also some pace to break down the middle of the pitch. It will be interesting to see if Bob feels it's unneccessary to use him in that way once Dzeko plays because so far, Yaya hasn't shown anything to suggest he deserves a place in any other position imo. Therefore if he's dropped, it allows for another attacker or midfielder.

Personally I'd like to see how it works with him behind Dzeko to start with though, as when he plays one game a week & is fit, he's been a bit of a force there & started a lot of good attacks.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Assuming all are fit, I would like to see this.... If Balotelli isnt fit, then stick silva out on the left, push Yaya up into the middle and stick barry alongside nige!

-----------------Hart-------------------

Zabba-----Kolo-----Vinny-----Kolarov

---------De Jong-----Yaya-------------

Tevez----------Silva----------Balotelli

----------------Dzeko------------------
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:---------------------Hart--------------------------

spot on for me - and if it works it won't just be good - it'll be ace.

I'm actually surprised and disappointed that we haven't used RSC in exactly that lineup. Honestly think it would have been far better than any formation that features jo and honestly believe it would have been our strongest lineup. with or without balotelli.
"Whatever it is that we "bought" - we didn't put it up for sale..."

Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Манчестер Сити

Postby Goataldo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

He tends to err on the side of caution at the best of times, so I'll be surprised if Dzeko doesn't start on the bench.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby blues-clues » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Unlike Balotelli, I think Dzeko will fit straight into the squad, already seem to have a few mates here and the transition from the German game is different to the transition from the Italian game. Frankly I reckon he will slot straight in as an out and out centre forward, this will give Tevez room to drop a little deeper, as he prefers to do anyway. Dzeko can then receive and hold the ball and provide service to Tevez, Silva, Milner, Yaya, Johnson etc as they follow up..... That's if he doesn't just turn and bury it in the net himself.. Cannot wait. This is the missing piece. Its about time we had a few 6-0 and 7-0 score lines!
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Goataldo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm

blues-clues wrote:Unlike Balotelli, I think Dzeko will fit straight into the squad, already seem to have a few mates here and the transition from the German game is different to the transition from the Italian game. Frankly I reckon he will slot straight in as an out and out centre forward, this will give Tevez room to drop a little deeper, as he prefers to do anyway. Dzeko can then receive and hold the ball and provide service to Tevez, Silva, Milner, Yaya, Johnson etc as they follow up..... That's if he doesn't just turn and bury it in the net himself.. Cannot wait. This is the missing piece. Its about time we had a few 6-0 and 7-0 score lines!

What are you basing Balotelli not fitting in the squad, on?
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum