Touré (K) for captain Monday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Touré (K) for captain Monday

Postby john@staustell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Tevez.html?

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is expected to take the captaincy away from Carlos Tévez ahead of their game with Everton on Monday night and is leaning towards reinstating Kolo Touré until the Argentina striker’s future is resolved.

Vincent Kompany is also being considered by the Italian but Touré’s experience might just sway it.
Manchester City are seeking to restore a sense of normality to proceedings after it was revealed the club had rejected a written transfer request from Tévez last week.
Having first expressed a desire to leave back in the summer, Tévez was given the captaincy as a means of trying to secure his commitment.
Touré was made captain by Mark Hughes shortly after he first arrived at the club and continued in the role after Mancini took over.
He was stripped of the armband before the start of this season, though, and said he thought it was a move designed to get Tévez “more involved” in the club.

He said he accepted Mancini’s decision for the sake of “peace and progress” at the club. If he was made captain again it would be a fitting reward for his loyalty.
The City manager is considering Kompany as a long-term option for the captaincy after his hugely impressive form this season but is understood to be keeping the door open for Tévez, should he decide his future is at the club.
Brian Marwood, the club’s football administrator, has reiterated the club’s position: Tévez will be expected to fulfil his contract, which expires in 2014. “He has a 3½-year contract with Manchester City and we are not thinking anything other than that,” Marwood said.
Mancini had indicated he would have no problem with selecting Tévez against Everton despite his transfer request and City coach David Platt confirmed he will be selected unless the player makes himself unavailable.
“I imagine he will be playing,” Platt said. “Carlos through his adviser has said that he would be available to play and will continue to give 100 per cent like he always does. There is no point in us being stupid about it.
"If Carlos Tévez is available to play he is going to be in the starting XI.”
Platt, meanwhile, has insisted the squad, who are joint top of the table, have not been unduly affected by the Tévez situation, or by the repeated reports of discord in the camp.
“I think footballers are very resilient,” Platt said. “They are aware of their own environment and what can happen. At City in many ways it’s a by-product of where the club has gone in terms of its ownership.
"That has been backed up by improving performances on the pitch as well as in terms of results and bigger objectives. I just think there is little we can do about the negativity that surrounds the club. We are now a big national story rather than a local one.
“We just have to accept what surrounds us because the alternative is to be playing mid-table football, not be qualifying for Europe and for no one else to be particularly bothered about us. No one wants that alternative.”
With refreshing honesty Platt conceded that there had been confrontations in the squad but that it was merely a sign of the ambition of the players.
“There is a dressing room full of people who want to win things and that spills on to the training pitch. There is no doubt about it, things have happened inside the club – there is a percentage of truth in what has been reported.
"But it’s nothing I haven’t seen before and at times believe me I have seen a lot worse. But we did go through a period when things were blown up out of all proportion and that was a little bit annoying.
“Look at the row that happened between Carlos and Roberto at half-time against Newcastle. It happened but it wasn’t as intense as everybody made out. But it happened and you have to live with it.
"We have an industry which is devoured by the media and you half expect things like that to come out. Yaya Touré and James Milner had a spat on the pitch in one game and that’s all it was.
"It was a tactical disagreement which finished there and then. What was frustrating was the misinformation which was leaked out.
“I think we’re getting a balance of decent media now because of the performances we are putting in on the pitch and where we are in the league.
"People have seen recently a couple of exceptional performances. The first half against Fulham was the best I have seen a team play in the Premier League this season.”
City, who made a statement about the Tévez situation a week ago, are sticking to their position and, while there is private disappointment at what they perceive as the machinations of Tévez’s adviser Kia Joorabchian, they feel the ball is firmly back in Tévez’s court. He is expected to behave professionally.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Touré (K) for captain Monday

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:14 am

will be a crap decision should he do this

was a fucking awful decision by Hughes to make Kolo captain and I hope that Roberto is not so stupid as to repeat it

great player (this season) but hopeless captain
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:51 am

The fact is, Ant, that Mancini only took the armband from Kolo because he wanted to make Tevez more involved. Or at least this was the official reason. So, if he were to take it from Carlos, it would be expected that he picks Kolo again, otherwise it would show a sense of "distrust" in Kolo's ability as a captain, which may well affect his performances on the pitch.

It's not a easy decision to make, the only plus is that Kolo doesn't strike as the kind of guy who would let this get to him if Mancini decided to make Komps captain instead. But, it's a fine line, and you cna never know.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:56 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:The fact is, Ant, that Mancini only took the armband from Kolo because he wanted to make Tevez more involved. Or at least this was the official reason. So, if he were to take it from Carlos, it would be expected that he picks Kolo again, otherwise it would show a sense of "distrust" in Kolo's ability as a captain, which may well affect his performances on the pitch.

It's not a easy decision to make, the only plus is that Kolo doesn't strike as the kind of guy who would let this get to him if Mancini decided to make Komps captain instead. But, it's a fine line, and you cna never know.

yes I agree that it's a delicate on in terms of not bruising Kolo's ego but, to me, it should be possible in terms of selling it to KT that his best form has come without the burden of captaincy....so give it to Vincenzo
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Crossie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:47 am

Captain should be a respected big character with a big role on the pitch.

K Toure isnt really all those things.

Kompany is.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:01 pm

ant london wrote:will be a crap decision should he do this

was a fucking awful decision by Hughes to make Kolo captain and I hope that Roberto is not so stupid as to repeat it

great player (this season) but hopeless captain

Couldn't have said it better myself. The way he walked off the pitch without clapping the fans and had to be dragged back on by Sly at the last home game last year weren't the actions of a captain. He's been playing well this season so I'll give him that. But captain again? No!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:20 pm

To be perfectly honest a captain is just a figurehead.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby sweenyuk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:To be perfectly honest a captain is just a figurehead.

Not true, often in a heated game the ref will call the captains together and insist they calm their players down, it is funny as fuck when they call Tevez over, talk at length to him, and he shrugs his shoulders and walks away not understanding a word they say....
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum