Liverpool has changed. Torres to City.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Liverpool has changed. Torres to City.

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Telegraph reckons we could be in now. Sign him up and send Tevez back to BA on leave for six months to see Brenda Aznicar - whoops sorry, his children!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rory ... ly-effect/?

Liverpool fear losing Fernando Torres to Carlos Tevez's butterfly effect

If anything has been proven at all four days on from the dawn of Tevez-gate, it is that Carlos is more of a sensitive butterfly than his heart-on-sleeve, streetfighter demeanour suggested. Either he misses his family, spending his days pining for the sound of a child’s laughter, lashings of dulce de leche and a gourd of mate, or he dislikes Garry Cook (perhaps indicating he doesn’t like the sound of a child’s laughter all that much). Something, certainly, has put the game’s most delicate Argentinean butterfly into a multi-million pound flap. The question the rest of football must now ask is where the subsequent tornado will land.
Initial suggestions seem to be that it will be Wolfsburg, lair of Edin Dzeko, the Bosnian striker Manchester City have long coveted. More reticent observers have pointed that it may simply serve to blow the cobwebs away from Emmanuel Adebayor’s career. On Merseyside, though, there is a lingering fear that it will twist and twirl its way down the M62 and hit Anfield, seat of Fernando Torres.
The link between City and Torres first surfaced 18 months ago, perhaps more. Then, though, there was nothing to lure the striker, driven by medals more than money, to Eastlands, what with Liverpool having recently finished a close second to Manchester United and seemingly set to emerge as a genuine force once more. By last summer, much of that had changed, but still the striker remained unconvinced. Moving to Manchester would not have offered him Champions League football; whether Roberto Mancini would be able to craft a title-challenging side from his expensive raw materials remained uncertain.
Chelsea, to Torres, was always the more attractive option, though no substantive bid materialised. Liverpool, regardless, were determined to retain their most prized asset, eventually persuading him that the future was bright enough to endure the shadows of the present. He produced a statement pledging allegiance to the club, and the matter seemed to be resolved.
Fast forward five months and the certainty, the hope which infused Anfield at the news of Torres’s commitment has dissipated. If Tevez leaves, either in January or the summer, City will need a marquee signing to pacify fans and alleviate concerns that they cannot keep hold of the game’s biggest stars, that they remain forever cursed to stand on the outside looking in, the plebeian parvenus not invited to dine with the elite. Torres, more than Dzeko, fits that bill. A renewed attempt on his loyalty would come as no surprise.
In a season in which footballers’ reputation for fidelity has taken more of a battering than ever before, that Torres may not finish his career at Anfield is hardly a shock. That Anfield may not feel the hurt it once would have done at such a prospect is, perhaps, somewhat more startling.
Torres will face Utrecht tonight but he is comparatively unlikely to hear his name sung or see his legions of fans bouncing in his honour. They used to. Not any more. It would be easy to observe that there could be no starker evidence that supporters are no less fickle than players these days, that a few good performances from Torres would have his public genuflecting before him once more. It is an unfair assessment. More than his lack of form, it is Torres’s lack of heart that is beginning to stir the first signs of disapproval from those who see him every week.
It is telling that, in his statement to the Daily Telegraph today, Tevez’s “advisor” Kia Joorabchian was at pains to stress that his “client” would not dream of offering anything less than his full effort every time he trained with or played for City, despite “his” desire to leave. Joorabchian knows what fans value. They can stand poor form or rotten luck, so long as application is evident. With Torres, it is not. He looks like he has had enough, like he has given up. Anfield will not tolerate such an attitude, not for long.
Here, then, another note of caution that Joorabchian might be able to tip Torres’s way. Rooney’s brand and Tevez’s brand, both such money-spinning ventures, have been affected by their transfer sagas; they were, after all, dressed up as the urchins who would play for free if they needed to. They won’t, it turns out, not by a long chalk. Ditto Torres: he has been marketed as the boy next door superstar, the shy, unassuming kid from Fuenlabrada with the world at his feet. That image, no less than his fans’ patience, withers with every sullen glance, every halted run. Move from Anfield on a low note and he will seem more of a mercenary than is good for business. That is the thing with a butterfly effect: its outcome tends to be chaotic.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Liverpool has changed. Torres to City.

Postby 13021J » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I can't see Torres moving in January. Although he would give us a new dimension, we lack pace through the middle.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Kladze » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Must admit I have been feeling a touch plebeian parvenus just lately. I was only saying so just last night.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Hmmmmm, Henry Winter with the inside-track on City? Telegraph publishing stories like this?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby craigmcfc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Kladze wrote:Must admit I have been feeling a touch plebeian parvenus just lately. I was only saying so just last night.

There's a couple of plebeian parvenus' on here at the moment. I think you touched on it in another thread
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Kladze » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
Kladze wrote:Must admit I have been feeling a touch plebeian parvenus just lately. I was only saying so just last night.

There's a couple of plebeian parvenus' on here at the moment. I think you touched on it in another thread

lol
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:25 pm

When Liverpool signed Torres, he was the next top striker in European football. When Barcelona signed Eto'o, he was the next top striker in European football. I feel as though we've moved beyond buying fading superstars now. I'd like us to get the next top dog. Dzeko and Higuaín probably best fit the bill.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mike J » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:When Liverpool signed Torres, he was the next top striker in European football. When Barcelona signed Eto'o, he was the next top striker in European football. I feel as though we've moved beyond buying fading superstars now. I'd like us to get the next top dog. Dzeko and Higuaín probably best fit the bill.

no way is torres a fading superstar. the guy does not want to be at liverpool, you can tell that by his miserable body language alone.

i think he would be fucking class for us.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Mike J wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:When Liverpool signed Torres, he was the next top striker in European football. When Barcelona signed Eto'o, he was the next top striker in European football. I feel as though we've moved beyond buying fading superstars now. I'd like us to get the next top dog. Dzeko and Higuaín probably best fit the bill.

no way is torres a fading superstar. the guy does not want to be at liverpool, you can tell that by his miserable body language alone.

There's a case for it mate. Hasn't looked fit for a good 12 months and had a dreadful World Cup.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mr_nool » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Mike J wrote:

I agree with ADVT on this one. On the other hand we more or less need three new strikers, and I'd be OK with Torres being one of them. But I don't want us to have to rely solely on him for goals.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby superkev8705 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Mike J wrote:

I agree with ADVT on this one. On the other hand we more or less need three new strikers, and I'd be OK with Torres being one of them. But I don't want us to have to rely solely on him for goals.

Advantage with Torres is that we would not have to play him every week like Liverpool have to. Im sure we will have more than ideal back-up for the lesser games if you like. Thus keeping his fitness up.
Last edited by superkev8705 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back of the net
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Torres just looks depressed & lacking a bit of confidence to me. He knows he's dropped a huge bollock staying at Liverpool.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beeks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:37 pm

As much as I reckon Torres can turn things around...the 60 mil they are quoting these days is bollox...I reckon 35 mil odd max
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Torres just looks depressed & lacking a bit of confidence to me. He knows he's dropped a huge bollock staying at Liverpool.

I both agree and disagree. He looks fed up, but also unfit. He only played in fits and starts last season after all. And how do you explain away the crap World Cup form?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mike J » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Mike J wrote:

There's a case for it mate. Hasn't looked fit for a good 12 months and had a dreadful World Cup.

maybe, but i honestly thing his injury problems were due to liverpool rushing him back constantly as their alternatives were dreadful.
Mike J

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:40 pm

superkev8705 wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Advantage with Torres is that we would not have to play him every week like Liverpool have to. Im sure we will have more than ideal back-up for the lesser games if you like. Thus keeping his fitness up.

But if and when Tevez goes, we'll need his replacement to be our new talisman as much as a goalscorer. We'll be in the market for someone who can lead the line week-in, week-out.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Kladze » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Bottom line is that Torres is a top, top striker.

Form is temporary ............ etc
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mike J » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Kladze wrote:Bottom line is that Torres is a top, top striker.

agreed. he'd be fantastic.

id also flog adebayor while we are at it. swap him + cash for dzeko.
Mike J

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:45 pm

As is the physical condition required to play at the top of your game. Players go into decline at different times. Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen were both effectively finished by the age of 27 themselves.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Kladze » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:

As is the physical condition required to play at the top of your game. Players go into decline at different times. Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen were both effectively finished by the age of 27 themselves.

There are areas behind defenders which Torres used to bust a gut to get into, and he had the ability to get there.
The fact that he's not doing that at the moment is not down to a physical problem imo, it's purely down to a (subconscious) lack of desire.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum