A question for 68?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

A question for 68?

Postby gillie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:14 am

Old timer i know you know the history of our club but can you tell us if any City player has threathend to go on strike before?
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: A question for 68?

Postby spiv » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:23 am

I'm sure Lee Bradbury went on strike, or was he just shit?
spiv
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: .

Postby gillie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:25 am

spiv wrote:I'm sure Lee Bradbury went on strike, or was he just shit?

He was christend with the right nickname mate.Lee Badbuy.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:40 am

Jeeez Gillie...Will you ever let thos cobwebs in my head settle?

Cast your mind back to the 70s sometime. the players union (PFA) threatened to go on strike regarding freedom of contract. I remember a TV interview on Friday nights Granada programme with little Elton Welsby. All the City players were asked whether they would strike and all said they would, except for Mick Doyle who said that was priviledged to have a job as a footballer and would be happy to play for the fans. Thye Football clubs backed down and the players won without having to strike.

In 1967, Francis Lee asked Bolton for a pay rise. The manager (an ex City player) Bill Ridding refused. Lee refused to lay for them and went on strike. Ridding thought Lee would back down but lee spent the time in his paper business and was happily making more money...It was while he was on strike ay bolton that City bought him.

Off the top of my head that is all I can remember but I have a vague feeling that Billy Meredith was somewhere down this line just before he became the driving force behind the setting up the beginnings of the PFA. Which incidentally was in Manchester City Centre (St Peter's Sq???)...Will dig more up on that Mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby gillie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:44 am

john68 wrote:Jeeez Gillie...Will you ever let thos cobwebs in my head settle?

Cast your mind back to the 70s sometime. the players union (PFA) threatened to go on strike regarding freedom of contract. I remember a TV interview on Friday nights Granada programme with little Elton Welsby. All the City players were asked whether they would strike and all said they would, except for Mick Doyle who said that was priviledged to have a job as a footballer and would be happy to play for the fans. Thye Football clubs backed down and the players won without having to strike.

In 1967, Francis Lee asked Bolton for a pay rise. The manager (an ex City player) Bill Ridding refused. Lee refused to lay for them and went on strike. Ridding thought Lee would back down but lee spent the time in his paper business and was happily making more money...It was while he was on strike ay bolton that City bought him.

Off the top of my head that is all I can remember but I have a vague feeling that Billy Meredith was somewhere down this line just before he became the driving force behind the setting up the beginnings of the PFA. Which incidentally was in Manchester City Centre (St Peter's Sq???)...Will dig more up on that Mate.

Thanks Kia i knew you would come through.I like gettin you thinking it stops the senility taking hold.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Lev Bronstein » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 am

If my memory serves me right (and unlike you John, I wasn't there), city were suspended due to a bribery allegation. The players weren't supposed to be paid, but Billie got caught going to collect the money for the players. Not helped by the fact that he protested when he felt the club were short changing them. When it all blew up Billie, and others were forcibly transfered(?) to U****d, and they went on to win the Cup.

At least that's what I remember from what you told me. Mind you, you kept calling me Bobby Collins - I didn't like to embarass you by correcting you.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 am

Huh!...Who needs enemies?...(or was that enemas???)...and I remember Bobby Collins Lev...Leeds captain mate.
Right yer bitches.
THE SCANDAL IN BRIEF.
An incident occured in a match between City and Villa and the FA decided to investigate City. (not Villa). It was alleged that Billy Meredith had offered a bribe to the Villa captain. After much investigation, the FA held a private hearing and not only was the player found guilty and banned but several City directors were implicated and also banned.
The FA further investigated city and found that payments had been payed to players by the club, over the amount that was legal. City were ripped apart and players and directors banned sine die from playing for City.

The fuller version of the story is much more involved and shows how the FA, targetted City to cut them down to size after considering them becoming too rich and powerful...Ring any bells?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 am

Re. John's mention of Bill Ridding, Bolton manager in Franny Lee's time. "Ex-City player," John says. He was, too. Only played a few games and scored his first goal against Leeds at Maine Road, Easter 1930. But bloody hell, I can't remember if it were with his right or left foot now, and as for who put the centre in, it's gone completely.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby john68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 am

BobbyJ1956 wrote:Re. John's mention of Bill Ridding, Bolton manager in Franny Lee's time. "Ex-City player," John says. He was, too. Only played a few games and scored his first goal against Leeds at Maine Road, Easter 1930. But bloody hell, I can't remember if it were with his right or left foot now, and as for who put the centre in, it's gone completely.

Good show Mr 1956...Not for your info mate...but for forgetting...yer as senile as me hahahahahahahaha.
Well remembered....the bit you did...:-)

But please hang around..Gillie is making a habit of these "a question for J68" threads. I got away with the 1st 2, not so sure how long I can hold out with the answers...help needed!!!!
john68

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 am

John, it's just come back to me about Billy Ridding. Scored with his left he did, Matt Busby put the ball across and there was Ridding on the far post to touch it past the Leeds goalkeeper. But, oh bugger, who was the linesman closest to him?
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby john68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

BobbyJ1956 wrote:John, it's just come back to me about Billy Ridding. Scored with his left he did, Matt Busby put the ball across and there was Ridding on the far post to touch it past the Leeds goalkeeper. But, oh bugger, who was the linesman closest to him?

But do you know who passed to Busby, when he scored the other?
BTW...You got the job Bobby...Well in mate.
john68

Postby sandman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Anelka faked injury.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum