POLL: New Strikers - January 2011

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Which Strikers should we buy in January?

Aguero
15%
Benzema
6%
Carroll
9%
Drogba
3%
Dzeko
31%
Eto'o
6%
Higuain
9%
Torres
20%

Total votes : 236

Re: POLL: New Strikers - January 2011

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:55 pm

superkev8705 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
superkev8705 wrote:
Grob wrote:I think in January, Tevez will be off to Madrid on loan and Benzema will be here on loan

Have a bet on it. Dosent sound a bad shout that.

Possible but Benzema is no Tevez.

I cant think of any other player like Tevez. Apart from Lavezzi at Napoli.

Me neither but Benzema is just too lacking in presence to replace Tevez imo. If we swapped Tevez for both Higuain & Benzema it would be more reasonable but Higuain is injured I think.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby 13021J » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:03 pm

chemicalboy99 wrote:There's some fella called Bryan Ruiz who is banging in the goals for FC Twente. Might be worth a punt until we can get a big name in the summer.

Dzeko would be a great signing also.

No bloody strikers from the Dutch league! Alfonso Alvez and Dirk Kuyt were goal a game strikers there.

I like Llorente, he gets the nod ahead of Torres for Spain sometimes.

My colleagues who are Liverpool fans are shitting it and think Torres is gone.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Grob wrote:I think in January, Tevez will be off to Madrid on loan and Benzema will be here on loan

Some talk that Madrid would be keen to take Tevez.

The point is though that City wont let Tevez go unless they can secure someone else who is as close to a sure goalscorer as Tevez is. And that as we know is not simple.

What is in City's favour though is what we discussed before the Tevez thing came up, that we need two strikers to replace RSC and Adebayor. So City can replace those two first then decide what to do with Tevez depending on who they land. If we get one of the prefered targets like Dzeko, then maybe a Benzema plus cash swap could be on the cards.

Looking at this now from a positive perspective City are in a good position of being able to replace 3 players without pissing any existing payers off, and really only two of those players need to be proven quality, the third can be a gamble for the future.

Llorente would be a good shout for reasons already stated.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby pieboy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Real won't be letting anyone go as Higuain is injured, so Benzema is a definate no go.
With Adebayhor and RSC going there is a need for two strikers - a main guy and someone younger who can fill in alongside Mario.
Dzeko and Carroll for me!
pieboy
Negouai's Red Cards

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby bluechester » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 pm

a BIG no for torres for me, as good has he is, he never plays, he is always injured
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm

superkev8705 wrote:I would have Dzeko and Lavezzi from Napoli. Closest player i have seen to Tevez's style of play. We aint gonna get him though so il go with Torres and Dzeko.

Why not? He'd cost quite a bit but I can see us gettig him if we pay over the odds. However I don't think he's so close to Tevez's style. He's much faster so he's deadly on counters, can cross the ball (he does that a lot for Cavani these days), can dribble, can score himself. Think of a more talented but much less hardworking Bellamy is what comes to my mind when thinking of Lavezzi.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
superkev8705 wrote:I would have Dzeko and Lavezzi from Napoli. Closest player i have seen to Tevez's style of play. We aint gonna get him though so il go with Torres and Dzeko.

Why not? He'd cost quite a bit but I can see us gettig him if we pay over the odds. However I don't think he's so close to Tevez's style. He's much faster so he's deadly on counters, can cross the ball (he does that a lot for Cavani these days), can dribble, can score himself. Think of a more talented but much less hardworking Bellamy is what comes to my mind when thinking of Lavezzi.

I'm not even nearly as high on Lavezzi as some people seem to be. He is a good player without a doubt but lacks the effiency of Tevez. I know he has been dubbed new Tevez and new Maradona (all argentinians who can kick the ball further than 5 yards are) but for me lacks that bit extra magic in front of goal Tevez has.

Oh, and there's the fact that he wouldn't suit Mancini's system at all.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Esky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:28 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

I'm not even nearly as high on Lavezzi as some people seem to be. He is a good player without a doubt but lacks the effiency of Tevez. I know he has been dubbed new Tevez and new Maradona (all argentinians who can kick the ball further than 5 yards are) but for me lacks that bit extra magic in front of goal Tevez has.

Oh, and there's the fact that he wouldn't suit Mancini's system at all.

I really rate him - said it for a long while now. He doesn't compare to Tevez yet but few players anywhere in the world have matched Carlos over the past 12 months.

I've watched a lot of Napoli and CFfR summed up what I think of him. They play a front three similar to ours - Hamsik takes the Silva role and Lavezzi plays off Cavani (who's not bad either). With Dzeko (or any targetman) playing centrally I think he'd slot in just fine.

All pointless discussion though - we haven't been linked. Plus Napoli have pretty much the same place/points total as we do (and they've no need to sell).
Esky

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Beeks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Apparently we are tracking Lucas Barrios...another I know nothing about...anyone?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Apparently we are tracking Lucas Barrios...another I know nothing about...anyone?

Is he the guy from Dortmund??? Scored against us in pre season
Back of the net
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Carlitos Tevez

Postby Beeks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

superkev8705 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Apparently we are tracking Lucas Barrios...another I know nothing about...anyone?

Yep...that's the fella
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:

I just said we aint gonna get him because we wont go for him. Im sure if we could we would easily get him. I would take him though. Quality Player. Stand out player when they played the Scousers in Europa League.
Back of the net
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Esky » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:32 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
superkev8705 wrote:

Yep...that's the fella

Noticed him at the WC when watching RSC. Seemed a good player. Dortmund are 11 points clear after 16 games so he must be decent.
Esky

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby wesmancity » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Carroll? wtf??...the guys garbage.
wesmancity
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: ATM Bellemy

Postby markuse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Argentinian born and now main striker of the Paraguayan NT. Not bad as far as I recall from having seen him both with Paraguay and Dortmund.
markuse
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37 pm

wesmancity wrote:Carroll? wtf??...the guys garbage.

Disagree. Hes a decent player but hes not for us.
Back of the net
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:Llorente from Athletic Bilbao has a release clause of 39mEuros apparantly. Scores with feet and head, a big lad, could be a good step up for him.

Generally, let's get people who are hungry, determined and can play a bit.

Agree on all points.

To be honest i've never heard of him

Sort of refined Spanish version of Andy Carroll. Great in the air, strong, very nice footballer & can play amongst the Spanish style passing game. Not particularly prolific scorer in the past but seems to be getting better & better & is knocking them in for fun this season whuich means they wouldn't want to let him go. At this moment in time, he's a better player than Torres & imo better than Dzeko. Looks made for the English game.

Quite agree here. Even if I still would rate a bit more Dzeko, overall.
Definitely I'll be over the moon if a straight swop of Tevez for Llorente+Javi Martinez could be arranged.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby peg-6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59 pm

No one mentioned Neymar ? He is projected to be a Brazilian great. He could be a great pair with Balo.
peg-6
Robinho's Step Over

Postby superkev8705 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 pm

peg-6 wrote:No one mentioned Neymar ? He is projected to be a Brazilian great. He could be a great pair with Balo.

No more Brazilians!!!!!!
Back of the net
superkev8705
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:23 pm

peg-6 wrote:No one mentioned Neymar ? He is projected to be a Brazilian great. He could be a great pair with Balo.

Neymar in Europe would be project at best in his age and considering his slight build. If we sell Tevez, we need someone who will instantly start contributing.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum