The First Ever Winter World Cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The First Ever Winter World Cup?

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Quite interesting that the Qatar 2022 WC could be played in the winter, obviously not as we know it but it would have an affect on all the league's that year. Currently, there are many nations that have a long break during this period, especially the snowy cold place's, and some of the Western European countries have their annual 2 weeks off. I'm just wondering if this is the fore-runner to the WC moving the goal posts and making all other leagues fall-in behind them, basically putting a 6 week break in the footballing calendar, as and when they want?

Would it work?

Taken from the Beeb:

Former Asian official urges Fifa to move 2022 World Cup

The Asian Football Confederation's former general secretary has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January to avoid the summer heat.

Peter Velappan said temperatures reaching 40C during the desert state's summer months pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

It has never been said by the bid team that the tournament would be staged in January

"I would strongly recommend that Fifa reschedule the tournament to January, February. Fifa is obliged to do everything possible to provide the best for the teams and the football fans."

Velappan's comments echoed those made by Fifa executive committee member Franz Beckenbauer, who earlier this month suggested making a one-time change to the European league schedules to allow the 2022 World Cup to be played in winter.

However, throughout Qatar's bid for the World Cup, AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam - a native of the desert state - downplayed the hot temperatures.

In addition, public relations expert Mike Lee, who played a significant role in Qatar's victorious 2022 bid, said that rescheduling the tournament was never a part of their proposal.

"It has never been said by the bid team that the tournament would be staged in January," Lee told BBC 5Live's Sportsweek on Sunday. "It was never a discussion during the course of the bid.

"It will be in the traditional window. That is what has been proposed in the bid book and what the campaign has been based on."

Lee also praised the work being done in Qatar to provide the appropriate facilities for the tournament.

"If you look at what Qatar did in the campaign, it is there, it works in terms of open, air cooled stadiums, and it is now solar powered," he said.

"We have provided solutions in a bid book and made the argument publically but there is also real development work going on.

"Qatar is a place that is changing very quickly, it has amazing resources. I've been there three years and seen so much change already. In the next 12 years it will be unrecognisable."

FA general secretary Alex Horne believed that it would be possible to stage the 2022 World Cup in January.

"I think it would be possible in 12 years' time to hold the World Cup in January," Horne told Sportsweek. "It might just be preferable to subjecting fans and athletes to 50C heat in training and preparation and then games.

"It is 12 years away and during that we have time to have a serious conversation about it. I'm not sure how you do it and it is terribly difficult with regard to the various calendars, but we have 12 years to think about it."

Qatar obtained an outright majority of 14 in the fourth round of voting for 2022 after a secret ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members in Zurich on 2 December.

Another interesting thing in there was that Qatar got the nod in the first round of voting. That is a lot of votes for such a strange venue, especially considering how much of a leagcy it would leave behind.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: The First Ever Winter World Cup?

Postby Slim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:21 pm

I think it would be a very good idea.

I honestly think the players are in danger playing in those sorts of temperatures and the last thing I ever want to see is another MVF(god bless) incident.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Abu Dhabi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:25 pm

They should honestly. It's all good the talk about the technology and stuff but the weather in winter is so fucking good for football.

Anyway Blatter is here in AD for the club world cup and he suggested yesterday that some neighboring countries can help Qatar by hosting some matches. Is that even possible without putting the bid under review process?
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Slim wrote:I think it would be a very good idea.

I honestly think the players are in danger playing in those sorts of temperatures and the last thing I ever want to see is another MVF(god bless) incident.

I totally agree mate, and when you think about it, a winter break wouldn't be too bad with all the players being in their peak going into the games.

No brainer for me.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:They should honestly. It's all good the talk about the technology and stuff but the weather in winter is so fucking good for football.

Anyway Blatter is here in AD for the club world cup and he suggested yesterday that some neighboring countries can help Qatar by hosting some matches. Is that even possible without putting the bid under review process?

Course it's possible

FIFA Rule 1a) Any rules that follow this one are to be ignored if deemed appropriate by Mr Blatter
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:They should honestly. It's all good the talk about the technology and stuff but the weather in winter is so fucking good for football.

He actually said that? If so, that is one of the worsed thing's I've heard during all this. What he's saying is that no matter what the rules are, they can be bent and broken to suit FIFAs needs.

It's quite evident that Qatar got the WC, not just on behalf of themselves, but on behalf of the Middle East in general and to further footballs legacy in the area; an admirable thing, but to then go on to say they should be looking at a partnership is actually saying that the bid was not good enough in the first place.

Astonishing!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

Really? Cant see that an air conditioned stadium or training ground in Qatar is worse than Mexico City at high altitude in mid-summer.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 pm

john@staustell wrote:Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

Really? Cant see that an air conditioned stadium or training ground in Qatar is worse than Mexico City at high altitude in mid-summer.

How do you 'Air Condition' a pitch that is baking at 50 degree's? The climate in these countries is so arid during the summer that it is very hard to do normal routines, never-mind play football at normal pace.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

How do you 'Air Condition' a pitch that is baking at 50 degree's? The climate in these countries is so arid during the summer that it is very hard to do normal routines, never-mind play football at normal pace.

Close the roof!

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Abu Dhabi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

He actually said that? If so, that is one of the worsed thing's I've heard during all this. What he's saying is that no matter what the rules are, they can be bent and broken to suit FIFAs needs.

It's quite evident that Qatar got the WC, not just on behalf of themselves, but on behalf of the Middle East in general and to further footballs legacy in the area; an admirable thing, but to then go on to say they should be looking at a partnership is actually saying that the bid was not good enough in the first place.

Astonishing!

I am not sure mate tbh I got this bit of news by text from a local news agency. It could be a rumor or under the radar comment.
Now i have checked the text, it's actually from a friend referenced with that agency.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wooders » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

decisions like this should have been made before they got the fucking thing
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:47 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Close the roof!

Very true, but looking at their stadia plans, only one of them has a retractable roof, and I'm not sure playing in heavily air conditioned stadia would do anything for the player's lungs.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Fish111 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 pm

'A Former Asian Official' will have about as much influence over Fat Splatter as Prince William, Beckham & David Cameron had. Not a chance of this happening. Splatter will probably propose it though to ensure the elite clubs in Europe bung him a few million Euros to decide against it in the end.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby ant london » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Mate, the problem often is not that it is arid so much as it is humid AND fucking baketastically hot

We play 5's every week at 8pm, at the moment it's about 20-23 degrees at that time, in the summer it is still well north of 30 degrees.

Qatar is hotter, and more humid than Egypt.....there is, in my view, no way on earth that this tournament will be in the summer unless all stadia are indoors. Even in winter (for northern europeans especially) it will probably be one of the hottest WC's ever if played outdoors.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Abu Dhabi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

ant london wrote:
Even in winter (for northern europeans especially) it will probably be one of the hottest WC's ever if played outdoors.

The temperature in Jan ranges from 13 to 23. I don't think it will be one of the hottest WCs.
Think about Mexico, Japan and USA for instance.
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

ant london wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Mate, the problem often is not that it is arid so much as it is humid AND fucking baketastically hot

We play 5's every week at 8pm, at the moment it's about 20-23 degrees at that time, in the summer it is still well north of 30 degrees.

Qatar is hotter, and more humid than Egypt.....there is, in my view, no way on earth that this tournament will be in the summer unless all stadia are indoors. Even in winter (for northern europeans especially) it will probably be one of the hottest WC's ever if played outdoors.

I know mate, I landed at Al Udeid in Qatar at about 2300 hrs in late September, and as soon as the doors opened it was like a wall of heat hitting you. To quote Peter Kay - 'I llike it hot, but not that Hot!'. I've spent plenty of time in those area's and I will be amazed if anything can be played in the summer, and at least, there'd have to be a least a month for the player's to semi-acclimatize. The winter weather is similar to our spring but can get up to our normal summer, which in my opinion, would be the only time to play it; for the players, and also for the fans.

PS. Egypt sucks, never liked the place ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:25 pm

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.!!!

THE SOONER WE SPLIT FROM THESE CUNTS THE BETTER........ILL START THE PETITION...

BLATTER THE REPTILE OUT AND TAKE FIFA WITH YOU.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:31 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.!!!

THE SOONER WE SPLIT FROM THESE CUNTS THE BETTER........ILL START THE PETITION...

BLATTER THE REPTILE OUT AND TAKE FIFA WITH YOU.

We should just act as a fifth column, secretly causing shit for these fucking bent wankers at every turn, without actually breaking any rules, working on getting other countries to join us. At the same time, help the gutter press with any kind of mud slinging, shit stirring they can achieve. People like that must haver lots of enemies. Use them. Then one day, when FIFA's on it's knees, lop it's fucking head off.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I think most of Europe would look unfavourably on a winter WC, whilst other areas of the globe would be happier about it. For this reason I think FIFA would back it.

There's too much football about though, hence the reason why fatigue and fitting a WC in somewhere is such a problem.

For those saying this would promote a winter break, what is your thinking? Would leauge seasons run throughout the summer? Then there'd be not winter break in WC years?

I also think having a winter WC might bring about issues for some host nations, like Russia for one.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby ashton287 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:14 pm

So they gave the next two world WC's to a country that has no stadiums just a few powerpoint presentations and a country its too hot to play in?

Once upon a time over the hills and far far away
There was an orgonization known as FIFA
They were complete fuckwit knobjockeys.
The end.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum