The First Ever Winter World Cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The First Ever Winter World Cup?

Postby ant london » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 am

Abu Dhabi wrote:
ant london wrote:
Even in winter (for northern europeans especially) it will probably be one of the hottest WC's ever if played outdoors.

The temperature in Jan ranges from 13 to 23.

Really? In the daytime? Maybe I'm not recalling last January in Cairo but I was sure it was hotter than that

I take it all back
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby ryanmjo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:33 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:I think most of Europe would look unfavourably on a winter WC, whilst other areas of the globe would be happier about it. For this reason I think FIFA would back it.

There's too much football about though, hence the reason why fatigue and fitting a WC in somewhere is such a problem.

For those saying this would promote a winter break, what is your thinking? Would leauge seasons run throughout the summer? Then there'd be not winter break in WC years?

I also think having a winter WC might bring about issues for some host nations, like Russia for one.

I don't think American TV people would be too happy about it. Over the summer, there's nothing really for it to be up against. If it were in January or February there's a good deal of competition for it.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 am

Solution - dont hold the World Cup in a country totally inequipped to host it. Job done.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:02 am

john@staustell wrote:Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

Really? Cant see that an air conditioned stadium or training ground in Qatar is worse than Mexico City at high altitude in mid-summer.

Funny you mentioned Mexico as I attended the 1986 WC and I can tell you it was rather hot for us in the stands. Although not as hot as it gets in Doha in June and July which is around 45 C (same as in Dubai) but I could see that the players were not really enjoying playing at temperatures of 35 C plus during daytime. Same thing happend in WC94 where teams played in Florida during daytime in July. I think our friend Doomie lives in Florida and can tell us all how hot and humid it gets during that time of the year.

And as for playing part of WC 2022 in other parts of the region, I can see that possible in only Abu Dhabi and Dubai which are 45 minutes flight time from Doha and have all the infrastructure needed for such an event (stadiums, hotels, transportation networks and of course the right social atmosphere that tourists will be looking for). However I can see this happening only if the tournament is moved to winter months of Jan or Feb which for me is not a bad idea !
BTW Doha will be holding the Asian Cup starting on 15th of Jan (16 Asian teams including Australia) so you will see a lot of coverage of Qatar during that time and maybe the idea of moving WC22 to winter will get a lot of more discussion during that time.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:10 am

ant london wrote:
Abu Dhabi wrote:
ant london wrote:
Even in winter (for northern europeans especially) it will probably be one of the hottest WC's ever if played outdoors.

The temperature in Jan ranges from 13 to 23.

Really? In the daytime? Maybe I'm not recalling last January in Cairo but I was sure it was hotter than that

I take it all back

Yes really, Ant. Believe it or not during winter months (Dec, Jan and Feb) we actually have to wear warm clothes during night and early morning where teps can drom to around 12=13 deg C. As matches will probably be held in late afternoon, the temps will be in the mid 20's and rop lower for evening/nigh matches. Basically cooler than many European summers !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby 9secondlegend » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 am

winter world cup??
bollocks...what about about bbq world cup parties in the summer?
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby ashton287 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 am

9secondlegend wrote:winter world cup??

Merchandise sales would die, how many people would be hanging flags and shit up in the snow? It would kill the entire buzz around the world cup in england and its already dying a slow death as it is.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby 9secondlegend » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:43 am

ashton287 wrote:

Merchandise sales would die, how many people would be hanging flags and shit up in the snow? It would kill the entire buzz around the world cup in england and its already dying a slow death as it is.

good point
who the fucks going to walk around in there england shirt in the middle of winter....except maybe knob head geordies
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby craigmcfc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:47 am

9secondlegend wrote:
ashton287 wrote:

good point
who the fucks going to walk around in there england shirt in the middle of winter....except maybe knob head geordies

It'd be an improvement on having to look at their bare fat guts
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm

ashton287 wrote:

Although on the flip side, more people may justify buying World Cup/England tat as christmas presents for their kids. As the FA only profit from official merchandise, which is exactly the stuff that would be bought by more people, then they probably wouldn't complain too loudly from a commercial point of view.

Also, on a technicality- the 2014 World Cup is being held in Brazil, the majority of which is south of the equator. So, technically, this is a winter World Cup.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Socrates » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
ashton287 wrote:

Although on the flip side, more people may justify buying World Cup/England tat as christmas presents for their kids. As the FA only profit from official merchandise, which is exactly the stuff that would be bought by more people, then they probably wouldn't complain too loudly from a commercial point of view.

Also, on a technicality- the 2014 World Cup is being held in Brazil, the majority of which is south of the equator. So, technically, this is a winter World Cup.

So was South Africa.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Twobob » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 pm

The biggest thing that stinks for me is that the clunt Blatter will probably be dead or shatting himself in 2022 and he'll still be able to fuck us over when nhe's rotting in his shit lined coffin - I have no doubt that the senile bent prick will have some larger, drawn out plan that will screw over the Premiership and the English leagues enough that these changes in a little over 11 years time wont even be noticed!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Fish111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Platini has now stated that he ''wouldn't have a problem if the World Cup was moved to January''. ''It would just involve moving the CL fixtures around a little''

These people are fuckin unreal. It would fuck up every single league in Europe. Everyone could virtually write that season off as a none entity because it would be disrupted way too much to count for anything.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:19 pm

I think we should boycott the Russian WC or failing that We should play the Under 19s in all the qualifiers.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
ashton287 wrote:

So was South Africa.

But England didn't win it, so it doesn't count.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Socrates » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
ashton287 wrote:

So was South Africa.

You think England will win in Brazil???
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Fish111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Socrates wrote:You think England will win in Brazil???

The media will.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:Also, on a technicality- the 2014 World Cup is being held in Brazil, the majority of which is south of the equator. So, technically, this is a winter World Cup.

So was South Africa.

Of course I do. It would be unpatriotic to think otherwise. ;)
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Socrates » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Socrates wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:Also, on a technicality- the 2014 World Cup is being held in Brazil, the majority of which is south of the equator. So, technically, this is a winter World Cup.

So was South Africa.

Of course I do. It would be unpatriotic to think otherwise. ;)

Bosnia have more chance!
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:22 pm

People going on about merchandise etc are only looking at it from a national perspective. FIFA seem hell-bent on world domination and will no doubt be relentless in their goal.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum