Thursday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Thursday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 am

Karim Benzema headed for Arsenal or Man City
Karim Benzema could be on his way to England next month, though whether it will be to the Emirates or Eastlands is anyone’s guess. But according to Spanish rag Mundo Deportivo, the 22-year-old French striker is on his way out of Real Madrid after accepting he has no future under coach Jose Mourinho.
Benzema, who scored an outstanding goal for France in their 2-1 defeat of England at Wembley last month, has played just one full match for Real this season and is now desperate for game-time. Mundo Deportivo says that Arsenal and Manchester City are the frontrunners to sign Benzema, though Italian side Juventus are also monitoring the Frenchman.
Apparently City see him as an ideal replacement for Emmanuel Adebayor, soon to be heading through the exit at Eastlands if the rumours are to be believed, while Gunners boss Arsene Wenger allegedly wants to buy Benzema with the money he makes from offloading disgruntled Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner in January’s transfer window.
Benzema cost Real around £30m when they bought him from Lyon in the summer of 2009 but Mundo Deportivo speculates that the Spanish club will accept considerably less than that - as long as they get shot off Benzema as soon as possible.
And it appears Benzema isn’t the only player City have their eye on right now. German media say that the Sky Blues have joined the fray in the battle to land Bayern München hardman Mark Van Bommel. The 33-year-old Dutch midfielder, who cut a swathe through opponents in the World Cup, is allegedly on the lookout for fresh pastures when his Bayern contract expires at the end of the season. Tottenham and PSV Eindhoven are believed to be interested in signing Van Bommel, and so is City boss Roberto Mancini, who sees him as a possible bulwark in their defence, despite his advanced age.

If Bayern Munich do lose Van Bommel, then the German press reports that they will battle Chelsea for the signature of Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Arturo Vidal. The 23-year-old Chilean has scored eight goals already for Leverkusen this season and was a star for his country during the recent World Cup. Chelsea have been keeping tabs on Vidal ever since South Africa – particularly as he comes cheap with Bayer Leverkusen said to want around £10m – but Bayern intend to compete with the Blues for the South American.

Jerome Boateng insists he will prove his value at Manchester City.
The German full-back has suffered a catalogue of injuries since joining the Blues and was forced to miss the victory over Bolton after picking up another knock in training last week.
“It has been a stop/start beginning to my City career,” he told City's website. “I’ve not really been able to build up any momentum because of the long injury absence I had at the start of the season and a couple of other niggles.
“I wasn’t happy with my fitness when I did return at the end of September and I don’t feel I’ve played anywhere near as well as I can yet.
"I’m working hard in training and I’m eager to show the City fans what I’m capable of because they’ve not seen the best of me yet."

City should focus on trophies not baiting United, says Tevez.
Carlos Tevez wants to "wind up" Sir Alex Ferguson in the best manner possible – by winning trophies for Manchester CityThere does appear to have been a conscious effort by both clubs not to exacerbate the rivalry that undoubtedly exists amongst supporters. Only last week, senior figures within the city's football community spoke encouragingly of the manner in which both clubs had come together to back Manchester's part in an ultimately doomed World Cup bid.
In the build-up to the last derby meeting in November, neither Ferguson nor Roberto Mancini said anything inflammatory, with both emphasising their respect for each other. For supporters it is somewhat different, especially from the blue half of the city who have been forced to endure countless United triumphs since they last won any meaningful silverware in 1976.
As the most recent – and most high-profile – player to switch between the clubs, Tevez's name has been used both in official and unofficial capacities since the summer of 2009 as confirmation of City's growing influence and huge wealth.
The 26-year-old understands why this happens. But he would prefer City to concentrate their energies on ending that long trophy drought rather than continually bellowing the "Fergie, Fergie, sign him up" chant City fans use to bait their United counterparts in recognition of the Old Trafford demand for Tevez to remain.
"The thing that would wind up Sir Alex more than anything is for us to win something and really start achieving things," Tevez told Manc, the official Manchester City magazine. "It is not the song that needs to change; it's the attitude or mindset of our fans.
"Let's not be thinking about Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United, we need to think of City and what we can do. What we have got to do is not to devote any of our time to United and just focus on ourselves."

Meanwhile, Aleksander Kolarov has vowed to hit the ground running when he returns from suspension against Juventus next week.
The City manager Mancini was unhappy with the red card Kolarov picked up against Bolton at the weekend and the Serbian shares his his view that his tackle on Mark Davies did not warrant a second booking.
But Kolarov is glad he kept quiet instead of reacting to the perceived injustice and while he is disappointed to miss Saturday's trip to West Ham United, he cannot wait for the Europa League encounter in Turin on Thursday, even though City have already booked their place in the last 32.

OTHER BOLLOX
Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson is set to raid Aston Villa for England winger Ashley Young in a deal worth £15m. Daily Mirror

The Reds are also pursuing a cut-price £3m deal for Rennes and France right-back Rod Fanni, which could lead to a Tottenham bid for Glen Johnson. Daily Mirror

Spurs, Bayern Munich and Juventus are all keen on Johnson, who looks set to quit Anfield in January. Daily Express

And Liverpool midfielder Lucas has urged manager Roy Hodgson to press ahead with an audacious January move for AC Milan forward Ronaldinho. talksport

West Ham have joined the £5m race for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane. The Republic of Ireland international has been told he can leave in January and is also attracting interest from Aston Villa, Wolves and Celtic. Daily Star

Stoke have been told they must pay Real Zaragoza £6m if they want to turn winger Jermaine Pennant's loan deal into a permanent move at the end of December. the Sun

Wolves are weighing up a January move for Newcastle's unsettled central defender Steven Taylor. Daily Mirror

Sunderland's Paraguayan defender Paulo Da Silva is wanted by Real Zaragoza and Mexican side Cruz Azul, with a loan move likely. the Sun

Wigan look set to wrap up £5m deal for highly rated Espanyol midfielder Javi Marquez. Daily Mail

Leicester boss Sven-Goran Eriksson admits he tried to sign David Beckham on loan but the Los Angeles Galaxy and England midfielder turned him down. Eriksson has also been rejected by Tottenham striker Robbie Keane and Manchester City forward Roque Santa Cruz. the Sun

Newcastle fans are furious with the club's reported decision to appoint Alan Pardew as their new manager. Daily Star

Fewer than 2% of those polled by the Newcastle Evening Chronicle on Wednesday wanted Alan Pardew to succeed Chris Hughton as manager at St James' Park. the Guardian

Sheffield United manager Gary Speed has emerged as a shock front-runner for the Wales job. Daily Mirror

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier's job is under serious threat following their 3-0 defeat to Liverpool on Monday. Daily Mail

Houllier left Villa director Charles Krulak baffled by his conduct following the Anfield loss. Ex-Liverpool boss Houllier angered his club's fans by saying if he had to lose 3-0 to anyone, he would prefer it to be to his old team. The manager also ignored Villa's travelling supporters but applauded the Kop, and Krulak said: "What I don't know is what was going through his mind at the time - and neither does anyone else. the Sun

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is to make a personal plea to the club's supporters to put an end to the sick chants that are aimed at Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger whenever the Gunners visit Old Trafford. the Guardian

Ipswich boss Roy Keane believes £10m-rated 17-year-old forward Connor Wickham has the potential to be the new Wayne Rooney. the Sun

Scottish police chiefs are set to dash the SPL's hopes of a full fixture list this weekend as snow and ice continue to wreak havoc across the country. Daily Record

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is increasingly hopeful of overcoming a hamstring injury to face Arsenal on Monday, using his Twitter page to say: "Hammy feels ok, treatment over the next couple of days to try + get ready for the game Monday. Get me out there! Grrrr!"

Florent Malouda has claimed Chelsea team-mate Didier Drogba is his only friend in football because he hates hangers-on in the game. Daily Mirror

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey, who is on loan at Nottingham Forest, says he endured sleepless nights ahead of his competitive comeback from a horrific leg break that sidelined him for nine months. the Sun

Aberdeen have cancelled their annual Christmas party as they fight the threat of relegation. Daily Record

BLATTER BOLLOX
Sepp Blatter calls England bid team 'bad losers'
Fifa chief Sepp Blatter has criticised England's reaction after defeat by Russia in the 2018 World Cup vote.
Blatter also rejected allegations of corruption at football's governing body after England gained only two out of 22 votes from Fifa's executive committee.
"I was surprised by all the English complaining after the defeat. England, of all people, the motherland of fair play ideas," Blatter said.
"Now some of them are showing themselves to be bad losers."
Blatter told Swiss magazine Weltwoche: "You can't come afterwards and say so and so promised to vote for England. The results are known. The outcome came out clearly."
Some of England's 2018 bid team were mystified that several Fifa executive committee members said they would vote for their bid only to renege on their promises last Thursday in Zurich.
It led to Roger Burden, acting chairman of the Football Association, withdrawing his application for the permanent position last week, saying he could no longer trust Fifa members.
Burden said that Prime Minister David Cameron, Prince William and other members of the team were promised votes which were not delivered.
Cameron made a jibe at Fifa on Wednesday when he was asked in Parliament what he thought about football's governing body after his experience of the bid.
"I certainly learned one thing which is when it comes to breaking promises - politicians have got nothing on football management," he said, laughing.
Blatter, 74, said the reaction of the losing bidders showed some did not understand his drive to expand football's frontiers.
"I really sense in some reactions a bit of the arrogance of the Western world of Christian background. Some simply can't bear it if others get a chance for a change," he said.
"What can be wrong if we start football in regions where this sport demonstrates a potential which goes far beyond sport?"
England's bid chief Andy Anson has suggested Blatter influenced committee members before the vote by reminding them of British media stories which alleged corruption against them and led to two being banned.
But Blatter rejected the corruption allegations and said he was being targeted by anti-Fifa journalists.
"There is no systematic corruption in Fifa. That is nonsense," he said. "We are financially clean and clear."
Blatter stated that Fifa could not act as if nothing had happened, adding he wanted to set up a taskforce to look into compliance issues, without giving details.
"We need to improve our image. We also need to clarify some things within Fifa," he said.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Thursday's B*ll*x

Postby s1ty m » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:14 am

Chinners wrote:France right-back [size=200]Rod Fanni,

Uh huh!
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:56 am

The Reds are also pursuing a cut-price £3m deal for Rennes and France right-back Rod Fanni, Daily Mirror

I believe I would buy my 'Pool supporting boss a shirt with his name on the back if this happens
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 am

Roy's in for Villa's winger too.

Surely the headline should have been: ' Hodgson Chasing Young Fanni ".
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Surely the headline should have been: ' Hodgson Chasing Young Fanni ".

'Fanni Dipper'?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Surely the headline should have been: ' Hodgson Chasing Young Fanni ".

'Fanni Dipper'?

Johnson Swapped For Fani.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wooders » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Benzema scored a hat trick for real last night - fail

what happened to young being worth 80 million?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum