City strike Atletico deal ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City strike Atletico deal ?

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 pm

This is from that 'Goal' bollox site but have any of you Spanish types heard anything about this?

Spanish press: City strike Atletico deal

Spanish publication AS suggest Manchester City have struck a collaborative deal with Atletico Madrid, which will see the two clubs share sponsorship contacts and information on player scouting.

The report intimates the cash-rich Premier League club’s new relationship with Atletico, could give Roberto Mancini first refusal on the La Liga side’s star assets Sergio Aguero and David De Gea, both of whom have been strongly linked with Manchester United and Chelsea.

AS indicate the strategic alliance is one of the most important in Atletico’s rich history, with the Spanish club set to benefit from Manchester City’s widening scouting network and global appeal, while the Premier League club will undoubtedly endeavour to keep a closer eye on any Spanish talent emerging through the ranks.

Intriguingly the relationship would reportedly enable Manchester City to steal a march on their Premier League counterparts in the hunt for Aguero and De Gea.

The latter has in recent weeks been widely reported as the man earmarked by Sir Alex Ferguson to replace Edwin Van der Sar, and last month the Times suggested the Red Devils had opened talks over a £15 million deal.

Although the story was subsequently denied, Ferguson is known to be a huge admirer of De Gea but could face an even tougher task to land the prodigious stopper given Atletico’s new relationship with their bitter rivals.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: City strike Atletico deal ?

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:54 pm

This is interesting if true but AS, SPORT and Marca are probably the three least trustworthy sports publications in the world. I'll have a dig around elsewhere in the Spanish press and see if anything tangible comes up.

I like Atleti and have a lot of friends who support them, so I'd like this to be true.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 pm

From the original AS article (today):

El Atlético cerrará una vez concluyan la Liga BBVA y la Premier League, la alianza estratégica, que algunos califican, como la más importante de su historia: un acuerdo con el Manchester City. La unión tendrá un mínimo de diez miembros y un máximo de doce, de los cuales ya están confirmados siete: Manchester City (Inglaterra), Raja Casablanca (Marruecos), Al Ain (Emiratos Árabes), Muangthong United (Tailandia), Shanghai Shenhua (China), América (México) y Atlético (España).

Once the Liga BBVA and Premier League seasons draw to a close, Atlético will close a deal that many believe to be the most important in the club's history: a strategic alliance with Manchester City. The union will have a minimum of 10 members and a maximum of 12, of which 7 are already confirmed: Machester City (England), Raja Casablanca (Morroco), Al Ain (UAE), Muangthong United (Thailand), Shanghai Shenhua (China), Club América (Mexico) and Atlético (Spain).

So it's much more than a bilateral agreement. It seems there will be emphasis on two-way loans for disillusioned players (e.g., Santa Cruz and Adebayor spring to mind), but it doesn't go as far as to say this so specifically. The group will probably be made up by a couple of South American teams.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Excellent...Athletico are probably my fave club on mainland Europe..I've still got one of their shirts somewhere!
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:This is interesting if true but AS, SPORT and Marca are probably the three least trustworthy sports publications in the world. I'll have a dig around elsewhere in the Spanish press and see if anything tangible comes up.

I like Atleti and have a lot of friends who support them, so I'd like this to be true.

take the probability out and you would be spot on.

Would be very good if true imo. Would piss Real off too in the longer term.

It is 'puente' (bridge) days here this week, which is a kind of official unofficial skyve off work because there are two holidays separated by a day.. so what's the point going to work then! i will have a scout around though.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:This is interesting if true but AS, SPORT and Marca are probably the three least trustworthy sports publications in the world. I'll have a dig around elsewhere in the Spanish press and see if anything tangible comes up.

take the probability out and you would be spot on.

Would be very good if true imo. Would piss Real off too in the longer term.

It is 'puente' (bridge) days here this week, which is a kind of official unofficial skyve off work because there are two holidays separated by a day.. so what's the point going to work then! i will have a scout around though.

I used to love the puentes when I worked in Spain (like a Bank Holiday). Over Halloween 2005 I had a five-day trip up to Asturias (from Valladolid). I didn't work Fridays and we had Monday and Tuesday off. It still ranks as one of the best trips I've been on and one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

[Back to topic]
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Cant find anything in the main press only repeats of the original on forums and the like.

The only thing to add is that it also says they would plan a pre-season tournament with the expected 12 members.

If at all true it sounds like there is big money behind this, the Thai club are owned by the guy who has 90% of the Thai TV network.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:40 pm

This sounds like the 'grobarisation' plan that Frank was trying to set up with Jim Cassell even before the Sheihk's takeover but on a higher level. I wonder if this is what Jim has been up to? All of those clubs are serious entities in their various leagues.

It would be great for some of our best young players to be playing competitive football rather than reserve team stuff & to swap some of our malcontents for players who may suit us better, without actually paying a transfer fee.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:This sounds like the 'grobarisation' plan that Frank was trying to set up with Jim Cassell even before the Sheihk's takeover but on a higher level. I wonder if this is what Jim has been up to? All of those clubs are serious entities in their various leagues.

It would be great for some of our best young players to be playing competitive football rather than reserve team stuff & to swap some of our malcontents for players who may suit us better, without actually paying a transfer fee.

ha ha.. er Grob might have something to do with this then too eh!

While there have been mutual benefit deals and feeder club stuff set up before, im not sure anything as ambitious as this has. In the long term strategic sense it could be quite interesting, not only in the player movement and sharing info thing but in the market/business side. It is a co-operation angle that you cant see the rags or real madrid and the like doing as they are too far up their own arses of self importance.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:This sounds like the 'grobarisation' plan that Frank was trying to set up with Jim Cassell even before the Sheihk's takeover but on a higher level. I wonder if this is what Jim has been up to? All of those clubs are serious entities in their various leagues.

While there have been mutual benefit deals and feeder club stuff set up before, im not sure anything as ambitious as this has. In the long term strategic sense it could be quite interesting, not only in the player movement and sharing info thing but in the market/business side. It is a co-operation angle that you cant see the rags or real madrid and the like doing as they are too far up their own arses of self importance.

Be interesting to see if one of the rumoured other teams to join is an MLS team. That would suggest marketing is a big part of the deal. Agree about rags & Co; they would want slaves rather than partners.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

Be interesting to see if one of the rumoured other teams to join is an MLS team. That would suggest marketing is a big part of the deal. Agree about rags & Co; they would want slaves rather than partners.

That is indeed a rumour:

'Los tres siguientes podrían ser los brasileños Atlético Paranaense, Palmeiras e Internacional, los estadounidenses Red Bull de Nueva York, San José o Chivas USA y japoneses como Yokohama Marinos o FC Tokio.'

The following three clubs [to join] could be the Brazillian clubs Atlético Paranaense, Palmeiras and Internacional, the American clubs Red Bull New York, San José or Chivas USA and Japanese sides such as Yokohama Marinos or FC Tokyo.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Am I alone in having never heard of:

Raja Casablanca (Morroco), Al Ain (UAE), Muangthong United (Thailand)?

.............although the latter sounds linked to the girly trade.

I've heard of the Shanghai people, because didn't we play them in a really dire defeat once under Pearce? That cost me £120 because I subscribed to Setanta for 12 months for that match, and there was no other football on that season!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 pm

john@staustell wrote:Am I alone in having never heard of:

Raja Casablanca (Morroco), Al Ain (UAE), Muangthong United (Thailand)?

.............although the latter sounds linked to the girly trade.

I've heard of the Shanghai people, because didn't we play them in a really dire defeat once under Pearce? That cost me £120 because I subscribed to Setanta for 12 months for that match, and there was no other football on that season!!

I think the Casablanca lot are a top side over there, unless there's another Casablanca team & I'm mixing them up. Isn't Al Ain connected with our benevolent ruler's brother, the Crown Prince?

Muangthong Utd were set up by disgruntled Thais who wanted to rebel against the Glazers. Or perhaps not. (They're a very rich club actually).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby edgeley blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Oh dear, we're ruining football again!!!
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Brad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Its Dejongs fault ;),
But tbh if its a legit deal then great work by the club.
Brad
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Dejong

Postby david yearsley » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Ah.... a match made in heaven!!!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Thought you would like this turn of events (if true). Got any inside info from Atlético ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby david yearsley » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Thought you would like this turn of events (if true). Got any inside info from Atlético ?

No mate - ha, I wish. Know the pressie of the local peña (supporters club to those outside Spain) and that´s about it. Will be keeping an eye on this story though for sure as I have and have had quite a few Atleti mates/students during my time here
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Dronny » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Could we use Atletico to "acclimatise" players of non EU residence who would then qualify for a visa in the UK after a period of time?

If so I can see that being most beneficial in getting around our stupid immigration laws
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby ronk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Would smooth things for a few loan deals here and there to have a good line of communication.

I like the idea of having a grouping for preseason tournaments for teams from around the world.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum