Neil Young Appreciation Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Neil Young Appreciation Thread

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

neil jung wrote:I put together a little appreciation of Neil Young...

[youtube]Q6m32-8gLus&fmt=22[/youtube]

(change to 720p for better picture quality).

Neil isn't too well at the moment and this excellent video complilation was posted in the other place.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Neil Young Appreciation Thread

Postby Beeks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 am

Old Man...Look at my life...I'm alot like you were...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:26 pm

I read Catch a Falling Star some years back. Very sad.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby steveo_88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Just imagine if we could stick him up front with Mario with Tevez or Silva in the hole, unstoppable! Great striker who never got the credit that he deserved and one of those players who always scored when it really mattered.

Hope Neil gets well soon!
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby JB » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Neil Young is my all-time fave City player.
Thanks OP for posting.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Genuine City legend, not a Kinkladze or Rosler type "legend", but rather a real legend and has the trophies won and medals in the cupboard with goals in Cup Finals to prove it. In our thoughts Neil.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dronny » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

JB wrote:Neil Young is my all-time fave City player.
Thanks OP for posting.

*Psssst* Change your favourite City player in your sig then....
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm

When I started watchin City (around 1962),Nelly was a joke. A total faint heart, the butt of the crowd, but funnily enough given todays preferences, a left footed right winger. When Allison came, you would have thought Nelly was the first for the chop, But Mal saw someting. In the next few years they worked on Nell's stamina and power so that in his prime, 1968-71 he was an explosive power house of a striker, far better than the bald headed coont on the other side of town.A net bulging shot, great dribbling ability, he lit up my early twenties.A tragedy to see him sold to Preston and watch his decline, though its clear Mal had taken leave of his senses even then.I'm an old man now. And Nell doesn't have long to live. But what beautiful memories he has left us. Thank you, mate.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Burt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Neil Young. Class footballer and nice guy to boot. Peace Bro.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 am

The City crowd nearly destroyed Nelly in those early days. he rarely, if ever, headed a ball and when the going got tough, Nelly did one the other way...THEN....Big Mal said he was going to turn nelly into the most graceful player in the league...and he did. nelly was transformed.
A blue from day one and treated disgustingly by the club. Didn't want to leave city and only went because he was promised his testimonial. A testimonial that was never given to him. Our club should be very ashamed of their treatment of Neil Young.

He gave us so many memories, so many goals and so many moments of sheer ecstacy....GET WELL NELLY...TRUE CITY LEGEND.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 am

The memories of him scoring at Wembley, in the Cup Winners' Cup final in Vienna, against Spurs in the ballet on ice, and in the 4-3 Championship decider at St.James Park are all so clear and strong having seen them replayed so many times that i'd forgotten how unsuccessful he was when he first came into the team, as people have said here. Lovely compilation, though, this, many thanks, obviously a labour of love. Nelly never had much of a grip on the money side of things and the club didn't look after him, but I hope Summerbee will make sure they do right by him now. He's likely not well enough to attend a game but what a reception he'd get if he did. And if he's not got long left, may his last times be as pain-free as the doctors can make them and filled with as much love as those close to him can give.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby ant london » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:51 am

I like this....

In response to the wishes of our fans, Manchester City will dedicate the FA Cup visit to Leicester City to all-time great and Hall of Fame member Neil Young.

It was Young’s trusty left foot that fired the Blues to glory in the Wembley final against the Foxes in the 1969 final.

That was just one of 107 goals that Young bagged in a glittering Blues career that encompassed more than a dozen years and 412 games in all competitions.

Sadly Neil has been ill for some time and was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Our supporters want to pay tribute to a true club legend so in Neil’s honour we have decided to produce red and black scarves for the trip to Sven-Goran Eriksson’s Leicester City on January 9th.

All fans who buy a ticket to the game will receive a voucher that entitles the bearer to a red and black scarf when a donation is made to support the family of Neil Young and the Cecilia Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital.

Scarves will be available for collection from January 1.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 pm

(don't know if this has been posted elsewhere already)

SWSB wrote:For those wishing to donate to the Neil Young Appeal a Paypal account has now been set up. To donate this way visit the city website mcfc.co.uk click on Fans and then click on Supporter Clubs. You can then visit the website of the Manchester City Supporters Club and find the Paypal button. All money raised from the Neil Young Appeal will be split 50 50 between Neil Young and the Cancer Unit at Wythenshawe Hospital where Neil is receiving treatment.

You may already know that the club have produced 3,000 red & black scarves for the FA Cup game at Leicester. All fans purchasing tickets for this game will receive a voucher entitling them to collect a red & black scarf from the Citystore. Fans are invited to make a donation to the Neil Young Appeal on collecting the scarves. May I suggest a minimum donation of £5-00.

If you are unable or do not wish to purchase the scarf yourself the vouchers can be passed onto others. Depending on the successful sale of the scarves for the Leicester game the club will produce more scarves for all to obtain from the Citystore.

Neil is really not well at the moment but he and his wife Carmen really appreciate all the cards and messages of support that are still coming in for them. You can send cards etc to myself which I will forward to Neil and Carmen Young. Please make sure you put Neil's name on the envelope or I will open it myself thinking it's for me. IE

Neil Young
c/o Alex Channon
Penalty Spot
11 Thirlmere Avenue
Swinton
Manchester M27 5XD

You can also email your messages to me which I will print off and post to Neil, he does not have an email facility.

I thank all who have so far sent cards and messages of support and I look forward to receiving many more. I further hope all of you who can will donate to the Neil Young Appeal.

Kind regards
Alex Channon, Charities Officer, MCFC Supporters Club
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby s1ty m » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:58 am

Nelly Young. City legend. Ansolutely.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Return to The Maine Football forum