Who has a future at city?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The backbone of champions

Jo Hart
11%
Shay Given
0%
Jerome Boateng
3%
Wayne Bridge
No votes
Aleksander Kolarov 
9%
Vincent Kompany
12%
Joleon Lescott
0%
Shaleum Logan
No votes
Micah Richards
1%
Kolo Toure
1%
Pablo Zabaleta
3%
Gareth Barry
1%
Nigel de Jong
11%
Adam Johnson
6%
Michael Johnson
1%
James Milner
1%
David Silva
12%
Yaya Toure
4%
Balotelli - oops
6%
Shaun Wright-Phillips
0%
Emmanuel Adebayor
No votes
Jo
0%
Roque Santa Cruz
No votes
Carlos Tevez 
10%
Roberto Mancini
8%

Total votes : 540

Re: Who has a future at city?

Postby Mark Garrett » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Good thread.

My 8 are:

Mancini - good manager, cool, calm but has the passion when necessary. Has done what all the best sides do, sort out the defence back 4 - see this time last year for the schoolboy defending last December compared to the numerous clean sheets we get now. Has made Kolo Toure back into a defender rather than the clown he resembled for much of last season. We will win the league with him during his reign and will definitely finish in the top 4 this season under him.

Tevez
De Jong
Kompany
Hart

The above four players are the first 4 on the teamsheet for me - our spine at City-offer class, grit and leadership.

Adam Johnson-because he is wonderfully gifted and has the potential to be unbelievably good.
Silva-because he is genuinely a classy player.
Zabaleta - because he is a solid, dependable player who offer cover in a number of positions. Also he is a good team man and won't cause any trouble of not always getting the games - a crucial element required in a squad of potential Champions.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Vincent Kompany is number 1!

Perhaps the surprising result here is that so few of the big money transfers have made the grade in our humble opinions

I would love to redo this in 6 months
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby john68 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:13 am

Though the answers seem pretty nailed on at this stage in the season, it is a great idea to this every few months Paddy. The next round of results would show how the likes of Ballo, Boateng and Kollarov have setled, as well as giving indications reagarding M Johnno's return.
Had this been done pre season, I wonder how many would have Shay rather than Joe? I suspect that, without seeing how the new team had performed, the results would be quite different.
Cheers Paddy.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

From MEN. I like Lescott, he never complain's, gets on with the business of football and always steps up to the plate when needed, as seen in his last 2 outings. Excellent back-up and I'd suggest just as good as our current CB pairing - good balance for that left berth as well.

Lescott: I'm no quitter

Joleon Lescott is up for the toughest fight of his life – just getting into the buoyant City team.

The versatile Blues defender is hoping he can retain his place in the team after a good performance as a substitute in last week’s win over Bolton.

But, even with left-back Aleks Kolarov suspended and centre-back Kolo Toure likely to be missing with a calf injury, the £24million buy cannot be sure of being in the starting line-up for the trip to West Ham.

Lescott has wrongly been labelled as one of the players manager Roberto Mancini has earmarked for the exit door in the January transfer window.

The big defender said last month he may have to leave, possibly on loan, if he does not get enough games – he was in the middle of a spell of five games where he saw no action at all.

But after playing the entire game against Salzburg last week and then taking over from Toure for an hour against Bolton, he was a little happier and declared himself ready to stake his claim.

“It is the toughest challenge of my life to get in this side and stay in it,” said Lescott, who has reportedly been eyed up by Liverpool. “I know it is going to be tough but I am fully committed to City.

“Anyone coming out of the team knows that the player coming in is just as good – we know there is a healthy competition.

“Previously I have been at Wolves, who had a great team in the Championship, and Everton and I have been fortunate enough to play near enough every game for both.

“When I came here I thought I was going to play. I did that under Mark Hughes. Then Roberto came in and this season I haven’t featured as much as I would have liked.

“But I don’t have many complaints. With the way Vinny Kompany and Kolo Toure are playing I can’t really complain.

“I would like to think I have stepped up to the challenge. I think I am as good as Vinny and Kolo. You know that when your chance comes you have to take it.”

Lescott’s name has constantly been lumped in with those who are expected to be shipped out in the winter transfer window, with Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Emmanuel Adebayor believed to head up that list.

Leave

Shay Given and Roque Santa Cruz are also likely to be allowed to leave, if they wish.

But Lescott, despite only making starts in five league games and three cup ties, is still a part of Mancini’s plans.

He could step in at his preferred centre-back position at Upton Park, although Jerome Boateng may also figure after being rested against Bolton – he also prefers to play centrally, even though he has largely turned out at right-back for City.

Lescott could also step in to Kolarov’s left-back spot while the Serbia international serves his suspension, although he also faces competition from Boateng and Pablo Zabaleta for that position too.

The Blues head to the East End with their eyes on the top three, with United, Arsenal and Chelsea all looking vulnerable at stages so far this season.

But that vulnerability should be a warning to City, says Lescott, even as they face the Premier League’s bottom team.

“You can’t take any match for granted,” he said. “In previous years we have failed at these hurdles, although we are a bit more resilient this season.

“We have kept a lot more clean sheets and are a lot harder to beat so I don’t think West Ham will be looking forward to us going there, just as we are not looking forward to going there.”

The fact that the Hammers beat United – albeit a weakened United – 4-0 in the Carling Cup last week, did not come as a surprise to Lescott.

“They are a capable side on their day,” he said. “But any team in the Premier League is capable of beating anyone. There are no easy games.

“West Ham beat United last week so they will have a bit more momentum going into our game.”

City will also be without their captain, top scorer and chief inspiration Carlos Tevez – he’s serving a one-match ban for accumulating five yellow cards and misses the clash with his first English club.

“Carlos is our captain for a number of reasons – his aura, the way he is around us, his performances,” said Lescott. “He will be a massive loss but we have bags of talent to come in and prove why they are in the squad.”

City could even go level on points with Arsenal at the top of the table if they win, although they are unlikely to make serious inroads on the Gunners’ goal difference, which is seven better.

Chelsea travel to Tottenham on Sunday and top two United and Arsenal slug it out at Old Trafford on Monday, giving the Blues a golden chance to get back in the thick of the title action.

But Lescott says the results of the other teams are not being followed too closely at this stage of the season.

“Our aims will change towards the end of the season but at this moment I don’t think anyone came in after the Bolton game and was worried about how anyone else had got on,” he said.

“We were just excited that we won and did our job. That is all we can do.

“The teams around us have some tough fixtures, and if we can capitalise on other teams dropping points then great. But the most important thing is to win our games.”
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I decided to pick those not in the first team as regulars who obviously have a future here, but chose those on the cusp or rarely used.

Chosen: Given, Lescott, Richards, Jo.

Not chosen: Boateng, SWP, M.Johnson.

Some just weren't worth mentioning, (Logan, etc)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm

What are the time frames? Are we talking next season or another two or three seasons ahead?
I think most of the players on the list still have a role to play for quite some time to come. Yes, we will attract more international star players, but I don't think it's wise to change too much too soon, now when things finally seems to have settled a bit.

The rest I want to say is pretty muched summed up by Ant's post

ant london wrote:Hart
Kolarov
Kompany
De Jong
Zabaleta
Silva
Y Toure
Tevez

EDIT...you missed him off your list Patrick but I'd swap Balotelli for Zabaleta if he were there

The above are selected in some cases due to being as close to nailed on starters as possible and others as they have the quality (but more importantly the team/squad ethic) to play a part which might not be always in the first xi starting matches.

The likes of Kolo Toure, Adam Johnson, Shay Given, Emmanuel Adebayor, Gareth Barry will be off at some point if they ever find themselves not getting (or continuing not to get) game time.

Question marks are against the quality, or more to the point the consistent delivery of the required level of quality mean that the likes of James Milner, Micah Richards, Nedum Onuoha, Jerome Boateng, Michael Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Jo may or may not have a part to play. Depends on how they continue to develop at City and whether, during this development, they are tempted away in periods where they are not playing and are clearly able to do a good job for other clubs

Jury has not reached a verdict on the manager for me as yet
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 pm

as pretty usual the poll has turned in a popularity contest, based on personal feelings/emotions toward the players.
Dunno why Paddy has limited it to 8, but I am ready to bet the following 17 will be at City next year, and the vast majority of then all along Bob's reign:
Jo Hart
Jerome Boateng
Aleksander Kolarov
Vincent Kompany
Joleon Lescott
Micah Richards
Kolo Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
Gareth Barry
Nigel de Jong
Adam Johnson
Michael Johnson
James Milner
David Silva
Yaya Toure
Balotelli - oops
Carlos Tevez

As per Jo, should he be required by the market he might go, otherwise I think Mancini is keen to consider him a very good complement to the Team.

As for the Manager - whether some desperado like it or not - I am sure the Owner gave him clear targets: CL within his first full season and the League title within the end of the first mandate (3 full seasons). Champions League will be the target of his second mandate when/if he will accomplish the first.
Last edited by Swales4ever on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Mancio4ever wrote:as pretty usual the poll has turned in a popularity contest, based on personal feelings/emotions toward the players.
Dunno why Paddy has limited it to 8, but I am ready to bet the following 18 will be at City next year, and the vast majority of then all along Bob's reign:
Jo Hart
Shay Given
Jerome Boateng
Aleksander Kolarov
Vincent Kompany
Joleon Lescott
Micah Richards
Kolo Toure
Pablo Zabaleta
Gareth Barry
Nigel de Jong
Adam Johnson
Michael Johnson
James Milner
David Silva
Yaya Toure
Balotelli - oops
Carlos Tevez

As per Jo, should he be required by the market he might go, otherwise I think Mancini is keen to consider him a very good complement to the Team.

As for the Manager - whether some desperado like it or not - I am sure the Owner gave him clear targets: CL within his first full season and the League title within the end of the first mandate (3 full seasons). Champions League will be the target of his second mandate when/if he will accomplish the first.

Agree except for Shay - surely he's going on loan next month with a view to a permanent deal.

In terms of our senior 25 man PL & European squads -

18 Staying: Hart, Taylor, Boateng, Richards, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kolo, Kompany, Barry, De Jong, Yaya, Milner, AJ, Silva, MJ, Tevez [ + Balotelli & Boyata who will be ineligible for the U21s next season]

11 Going: Given, Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Lescott, Logan, Vieira, Jo, Adebayor, Santa Cruz, Weiss, Bellamy

6 Coming (Speculatively): Dzeko, Luiz, Pastore, Henderson, Petrovitch, Carroll ??

1 Returning: Nedum

my musings from elsewhere more appropriate here (if anywhere)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:01 pm

I do agree with You Johnny, as almost always.
in fact Shay was a copy and paste error... if John68 has been tagged as "senile" just imagine of myself 5 years older... lmao
Also Shay deserve to end his carreer proudly on the pitch. I'd be glad with a Jaaskelainen kind of keeper on the bench next year, just to name one. Pretty sure a certain anti-rags from Anctartica would be proud of that...

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ashton287 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 am

Daytripping queers from kent named tarquin with gay spiky hair. That is the future of our club.

I dread the day it is cool to be a city fan. Be like the juve game but every week.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:46 am

ashton287 wrote:Daytripping queers from kent named tarquin with gay spiky hair. That is the future of our club.

I dread the day it is cool to be a city fan. Be like the juve game but every week.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beeks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:51 am

I tell you what Mancio you're not far wrong with Ashton and his buddies...scumbags with or without the pillow over their heads
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:13 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I tell you what Mancio you're not far wrong with Ashton and his buddies...scumbags with or without the pillow over their heads

Just try and learning the mancunian banter, still a pupil there, though.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 pm

8 is nowhere near enough.

I had to miss out Hart, Mario, Yaya, Milner, Barry & Kolorov. (I voted for Zab!).
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Mancio4ever wrote:
ashton287 wrote:Daytripping queers from kent named tarquin with gay spiky hair. That is the future of our club.

Priests yeh?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:06 pm

It'll be just like the Swamp - it's the way to go, fan of the future.

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:46 am

john@staustell wrote:It'll be just like the Swamp - it's the way to go, fan of the future.

Yea... some addition maybe, included me, but deffo w/o the Swampers, though.
I prefer to continue with these imaginations..
Image Image

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum