Small mistakes/Points dropped

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Small mistakes/Points dropped

Postby steveo_88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Considering Mancini's squad is still very much a work in progress it's an absolutely fantastic position to be in coming up to Christmas, five or six straight wins by anyone at the top could see them get clear ahead why not us?

IMO against NotloB for the first time it looked like we had a starting eleven out there that looked comfortable with each other. Give Mancini more time and he can develop a stronger squad that can drift in and out of that eleven to play European and domestic cup games and still compete and win. It's definately starting to come together just give it a bit more time lads, don't be demanding a treble at the end of the year and then call for Bobby's head when we don't get it!
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby TheGOAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'm sorry...but that's a ridiculous OP

Life is full of 'what ifs'

Every football club in the country has them...so if we turned that loss into a win that time...I mean come on!

If I chose different lottery numbers than the ones I chose last week i'd be a millionaire

Did you not read it!? What exactly is ridiculous? I'm just pointing out that with a bit of luck we'd be top. I am fully aware that this also happens to every other club. I'm not in any way saying we deserve it!
"Watch a DVD, eat some pizza
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
**** a chicken if that's what it takes...
Watch a chicken ******* a horse...
What? You think the guys at google sat around watching Trumpton?"
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby TheGOAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I think you're being overly optimistic to assume we would have drawn against Arsenal and won at Sunderland. Gettng the breakthrough at Stoke didn't wrap up the game and Wolves dicked us around that time.

Overly optimistic???? A draw at home? Surly over optimistic is a win? And you dont think we would have won the sunderland game if we had scored in the first half which we dominated?

I'm only pointing out that but for a few mistakes we would be top, jesus christ!!

I'm saying we had one goal leads against Blackburn and Stoke and we let them slip, so assuming we'd have done Sunderland is a stretch.

A

So let me get this straight, in your opinion, if tevez had of scored that open goal we wouldnt have won that game...right
We went a goal down to blackburn and it was a freak goal!
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby 9secondlegend » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'm sorry...but that's a ridiculous OP

Life is full of 'what ifs'

Every football club in the country has them...so if we turned that loss into a win that time...I mean come on!

If I chose different lottery numbers than the ones I chose last week i'd be a millionaire

I with you mate. What about if given was playing and not hart. What if hughes was still here in fact what if keeegan was still here? What if chelsea/spurs/utd/arsenal/bolton hadnt made mistakes would all them be top?
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

sandman wrote:
Nick wrote:
sandman wrote:Stop crying over spilt milk, all clubs drop points, look at Chelsea's poor form, we have not played like champions yet so we dont deserve to be up there yet.

But united do??? United should be fucking mid table if results went on what teams 'deserved' and not bent officials and luck.

I dont believe United do either, Chelsea are in a poor run, in the next few weeks they'll click back into gear and they'll regain their place where they will end up.

How come we get to see united written in full now. Didn't it used to be U****D, automatically modified ?
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby TheGOAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

s1ty m wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:..dont know why i bother

I think you have a valid point. All temas have thrown points away though and will continue to do so in a league that is so tight. No gulfs in class between most of the top sides, imho. certainly not the gaps that once existed, for sure.

wolves we deserved nowt, got lucky v barcodes and blackpool was probably a draw, all considered. i see those as 4 points picked up.

chelsea we totally outplayed, i think we ought to be looking for a win anyway, it was a home game.

blackburn was 2 point loss, sunderland 3, agreed and birmingham 2 more. stoke another 2. that makes 9, less the 4, so 5 points dropped. enough to be top.

i agree with the OP, therefore, that with not a lot of luck, we should be top. it's all in the past now, but the next 6 games could see us go top. 4 wins and 2 draws might be enough, given the other teams around us playing each other. all very promising. we have a top notch defence (according to the stats) and we now appear to be attacking at will. we press on with this approach and we will be ripping teams to pieces.

Wow! someone understood what i was getting at!!
Its good that we have dropped these points yet are still in touch. If we can cut these mistakes out of our game we will take some stopping!
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby Beeks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:40 pm

TheGOAT wrote:If we can cut these mistakes out of our game we will take some stopping!

TheGoat...master of stating the obvious..

Sorry mate...just yanking your chain ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 pm

TheGOAT wrote:
s1ty m wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:..dont know why i bother

I think you have a valid point. All temas have thrown points away though and will continue to do so in a league that is so tight. No gulfs in class between most of the top sides, imho. certainly not the gaps that once existed, for sure.

wolves we deserved nowt, got lucky v barcodes and blackpool was probably a draw, all considered. i see those as 4 points picked up.

chelsea we totally outplayed, i think we ought to be looking for a win anyway, it was a home game.

blackburn was 2 point loss, sunderland 3, agreed and birmingham 2 more. stoke another 2. that makes 9, less the 4, so 5 points dropped. enough to be top.

i agree with the OP, therefore, that with not a lot of luck, we should be top. it's all in the past now, but the next 6 games could see us go top. 4 wins and 2 draws might be enough, given the other teams around us playing each other. all very promising. we have a top notch defence (according to the stats) and we now appear to be attacking at will. we press on with this approach and we will be ripping teams to pieces.

Wow! someone understood what i was getting at!!
Its good that we have dropped these points yet are still in touch. If we can cut these mistakes out of our game we will take some stopping!

I think that's a fair point but it's the 'small' mistakes missing chances, defenders slipping, getting sent off, giving away pens etc, that got Hughes sacked. Small mistakes are quite big mistakes really! The missed chances on Sat would have cost us dearly if Joe Hart had been a yard further back when he dropped that ball. We've had good & bad luck so far but imo it's good we're 4th having only beaten 1 of the top sides. It means that if we mostly muller the shite teams for the rest of the season, we may be able to get away with a few dodgy results in our toughest away games & still get top 4 anyway. Now we're starting to get our attack together, it must be a reasonable expectation for us to get stuck into the lesser teams & win most games. The fact we attacked with purpose & flair v Bolton raised the atmosphere from the usual boredome too, which in turn makes it harder for the oppo to survive.

It could turn out better still though because if you were to add to that a couple of surprise wins, say at the Bridge/swamp or Emirates, we could genuinely challenge for the title. It would be nice to go into such games with nothing to lose & everything to win.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby TheGOAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Exactly. Mancini always said it would takes us a good few months to get up so steam, and i think the last three league games we have been impressive!

This run of games up to christmas could be crucial for us, especially with the top teams all playing each other!
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

I get you man, just that you're talking to the 'We're Happy With 4th' brigade.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Grob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Nobodys perfect. We could have the best team ever assembled and they would still drop some points. Thats football.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby TheGOAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Grob wrote:Nobodys perfect. We could have the best team ever assembled and they would still drop some points. Thats football.

I completly agree, 3 points at wolves, 2 at spurs, 2 vs United.
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
TheGOAT

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm

It's a nice thought but unfortunatley it happens. The teams that do it less often are successfull, the teams that do it more often are the least successful and will lead to relegation and manager and player departures.

They key is to get the best players and managers to do it less often, it happens in football.
the_georgian_genius

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum