Updated Saturday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Updated Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:40 am

Scarves are for the fans: Another MuEN hatchett job on the blues
Manchester United legends have poured scorn on the modern-day stars at City - for wearing 'snoods' to keep their necks warm during matches.
Carlos Tevez is one of a number of Blues stars who have been sporting the woolly neck warmer during Premier League games long before the current cold snap.
City have even started selling the snoods, also known as 'Neck Gators', in the club shop.
But while three or four City players often run out with the snood under their club shirt, the neck warmers have been shunned by Manchester United players over at Old Trafford.
And legendary United hardmen have laughed the Eastlands fashion trend out of the park.
Former United star Alex Stepney said: “I never even wore gloves and I was a goalkeeper. Now they're wearing gloves and tights and this thing around their neck. What's the game coming to? To keep ourselves warm we used to cover ourselves in oil.”
Ex-United defender Gary Pallister added: “I only wore a long-sleeve shirt once and that was because I had flu. I'm not a big fan of them. The players wear them when it's not even that cold.”
Earlier this week, former Reds hardman and current Ipswich boss Roy Keane said he could not understand how players could wear the snood.
"Don't get me started", he said: "I don't know how they do it. It's very strange. Gloves, scarves, I think somebody came on a few weeks ago for City who had a hat on.
"I don't know how they do it and focus on the game, it's weird. That's the way the game's gone."
Keane said the snood would not have been allowed during his 12 years at United, which ended in 1995. "Not at all. They've all gone soft. I think John Barnes wore gloves but to be fair I think that boy could play. That was just gloves. Then it went to tights. Now it's scarves."
Tevez and his City team-mates David Silva, Mario Balotelli, and Nigel DeJong are all fans of the garment. City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has even been known to wear two at once.
One bookmaker is reportedly offering odds on how many City players will wear a snood during today's match against Bolton. United's players have been spared another run-out in the current cold snap as their match at Blackpool has been called off.
Although they have not been banned at United, it is understood players are left in no doubt that boss Sir Alex Ferguson would not be impressed.
A source at United, which does not sell them in the club shop, said: “The players aren't banned from wearing them. They just understand what is expected. After all, the first thing Fergie said to Bebe when he was signed was to get a haircut.”
Ellis Cashmore, author and professor of culture, media and sport, at Staffordshire University, has written about the changing habits of footballers in his book Making Sense of Sport.
He said: “This is part of the further emasculation of football and sport in general.
"I'm old school. It just doesn't look good to be wearing gloves and scarves on a football pitch and it shouldn't be allowed. I remember when the bandanna became popular and then the Alice band and gloves and now this. This kind of accessorising of the basic uniform has gained momentum in football and I don't think it should.
“It just doesn't look good on a football pitch. It emasculates the sport. It makes players appear soft even if they are not.
“The appeal of football in part is its ruggedness. Players don't flinch with a hard tackle so why should they flinch about the weather? It's meant to hurt. It's a physical sport. I admire Rooney a great deal. He's just a sensational player and clearly a hard man but even he is wearing gloves in September.
“More women are playing sport and that's to be encouraged but men seem to have taken it as a license to become more feminised. They seem to have surrendered their traditional masculinity.”
City's chief commercial officer Ian Cafferky said: “Just like the Mancini scarf last season, there has been a huge demand from fans to release an official club gator (snood). Since it went on sale both fans and players have loved it. It’s also been a surprise big hit with non football fans who simply want to stay warm this winter.”
The Premier League has no rules on the snood but they have become a feature among players after they became popular during the World Cup in South Africa.
A spokesman for the FA said: “The snood does not convene any laws of the game. But clearly it suits some players more than others

Balotelli involved in training ground scrap with Man City team-mate Boateng
Mario Balotelli had to be separated from Manchester City teammate Jerome Boateng after the two players were involved in a furious bustup in training on Friday.
Balotelli, 20, reacted angrily to a tackle from behind by the 22-year-old Germany defender, who retaliated by grabbing the striker by the throat in front of manager Roberto Mancini and the rest of the squad.
The two players appeared to make up afterwards but Mancini had words with his £23million signing from Inter Milan as he tried to calm him down.
MCF.NET THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36017

The City boss also has to contend with the discontent among highly paid stars unhappy at being left out of the team. Joleon Lescott became the latest to speak out.
Lescott was a regular under former boss Mark Hughes, but he has made just five Premier League starts this season and is expected to drop to the bench against Bolton today after playing in the Europa League win over Salzburg.
'Of course. I'm not happy with the situation,' said Lescott. 'I don't enjoy sitting on the bench, and sometimes not even making the bench.'
The England defender admits he is concerned about his international prospects if he is not a City regular, and might be open to a loan move next month.
'That's down to me and the club,' he added. 'The club might say, "If there's a chance to play, go and play". If not, I will have to stay here.
'Fabio Capello has kept his confidence in me and I'm grateful for that. But there's going to come a time when, if I'm not playing for City, I'm not going to be in the England squad.'

Manchester City sense chance to sign £35m Barcelona defender Dani Alves
Manchester City are pressing ahead in their £35million pursuit of Barcelona right-back Dani Alves.
As Sportsmail revealed, City sent a delegation to watch Barcelona's 5-0 destruction of Real Madrid on Monday in which Alves played a pivotal role and they were heartened further by news the two parties are no closer to agreeing terms on a new contract.
Alves, 27, is out of contract in 2012 but wants a bumper pay hike.
Talks have broken down several times with Barcelona vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu warning: 'We will not break the wage structure of the squad.'
They are understood to be some £2m apart in negotiations with Barca offering a £6m a year deal where 60 percent is a basic wage and 40 percent in bonuses.
Alves would prefer to stay with Barcelona but has backed himself into a corner and City sense a chance to sign the best right-back in the world.
However, Barca would still expect to make a profit on the £27m they paid Sevilla for him in 2008.
Meanwhile, Wolfsburg sporting director Dieter Hoeness has re-iterated that the price for City target Edin Dzeko is £34million.

Goal.com UK can reveal.. . .
Manchester City are preparing a sensational £45 million January swoop for Tottenham midfielder Gareth Bale City have started putting together a player-exchange package for the converted midfielder, who has become one of the most sought-after talents in Europe following his magnificent form in 2010.
City are desperate to rid their wage bill of high-earning fringe players such as Emmanuel Adebayor and Joleon Lescott, who are likely to be offered to Spurs plus cash in return for Bale.
But White Hart Lane sources insist the Londoners will batten down the hatches and are confident they can fight off any interest in their prize asset from the club funded by Abu Dhabi’s billions.
“There is more chance of us getting relegated this season than selling Gareth Bale,” said one Spurs insider. “Don’t worry, he is going nowhere.”
The club’s confidence derives from their expectation that the 21-year-old will soon sign a whopping new contract that insiders believe could be the most lucrative in the club’s history.
Although the Wales winger put pen to paper on a four-year contract in May which would theoretically keep him in north London until 2014, Spurs wanted to tie Bale down to a six-year deal during the contract talks and it was the player’s camp who insisted on a shorter agreement.
This has convinced the City hierarchy that they could entice Bale to the City of Manchester Stadium, albeit more likely at the end of the season rather in the forthcoming window.
Bale’s value has rocketed since he nailed down a regular starting spot on the left side of midfield at the start of the year, augmented by his sensational back-to-back Champions League displays against European champions Inter Milan.
The continued upward curve of his development and the interest from Europe’s elite clubs, who, apart from City, also include Real Madrid, Manchester United and Inter, has convinced the Spurs hierarchy that they will need greater protection for the left-sided flyer.
United had a £20m bid rejected last summer while Real also made their interest clear and are expected to prepare a huge offer at the end of the season.

Chelsea And Manchester City Ready £35m Transfer Bids For Argentina Star
The biggest clubs in the world are opening their chequebooks as Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini admitted Javier Pastore could be sold.
Just a fortnight ago, the club supremo conceded that he had little chance of keeping the Argentina international beyond the current campaign.
“Until the end of the season he will play for Palermo. Despite my interest for the club and player, I am already looking for his replacement.
“It will be impossible to find a replacement because he is too good.”
Today though, Zamparini went even further on Italian radio.
“Pastore could be sold [in January] if he shows the desire to leave.”
With Chelsea currently struggling in midfield due to a lack of physicality without Frank Lampard and Michael Essien, the 6’2″ Pastore could boost their ranks enormously – and at just 21, would significantly reduce the average age.
Capable of hitting a thunderous shot and an excellent dribbler, the Palermo star would make a fantastic long term replacement for Lampard.
Though Chelsea were basically offered Pastore by Zamparini in mid November at a fairly outrageous price – “If an offer of 100million euros were to arrive from [Chelsea’s] Roman Abramovich, I would take it into consideration” - they will have to fight off interest from Manchester City to get their man.
Pastore would suit Roberto Mancini’s plans for a tall and physical presence in attacking midfield, where Yaya Toure currently plays. He would certainly welcome the opportunity to link up with fellow Argentines Carlos Tevez and Pablo Zabaleta at Eastlands, and Manchester City are the one club capable of meeting the Palermo president’s asking price.

Man City warned Wolfsburg star will cost 40million euros
Manchester City have been told they will have to pay 40million euros if they want to sign Edin Dzeko.
The Wolfsburg striker has long been linked with a move to Eastlands, while Real Madrid are also rumoured to be keen.
But Wolfsburg sporting director Dieter Hoeness admits the club will only part with the prolific 24-year-old if they receive a huge offer.“
There are many teams interested in Dzeko.”
Dieter Hoeness
He said: "The price is not a secret - Dzeko is 40 million euros. There are many teams interested in Dzeko.
"We have not received any call from Madrid. I myself met [Real Madrid president] Florentino Perez and [director general] Jorge Valdano when I went to the Bernabeu to see Real Madrid-AC Milan and it was never mentioned.
"We do not comment on speculation."

City defender Joleon Lescott and keeper Shay Given have been told they can leave Eastlands in the January transfer window. Daily Mirror rehashes agaian ... and again ... and again ... http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ma ... 43633.html

WAGVENT OF THE DAY

OTHER BOLLOX
Manchester United will target Benfica's Portugal left-back Fabio Coentrao if Patrice Evra joins Real Madrid in the summer. Daily Mail

And Ferguson has set his sights on Werder Bremen playmaker Marko Marin who is also being tracked by Tottenham and Arsenal. IMscouting

Arsenal scouts are keeping tabs on Villarreal keeper Diego Lopez after the club missed out on Fulham's Mark Schwarzer and Liverpool's Pepe Reina last summer. Daily Mirror

The Gunners are also interested in signing goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa from CF America Mexico. Daily Mirror

But Arsenal face competition from Manchester United for the Mexican keeper. caughtoffside

Stoke centre-back Ryan Shawcross has emerged as a transfer target for Liverpool but Daniel Agger has warned he will not be forced out of Anfield. Daily Mail

Blackburn and Wigan are both eyeing a move for Espanyol's Argentinian striker Pablo Osvaldo in the January transfer window. Daily Mirror

Gunners midfielder Tomas Rosicky is at the top of Aston Villa's Gerard Houllier's January wish list. Daily Mail

Houllier's side lead the chase to sign striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham with the Irishman told he can leave Spurs in January. Daily Telegraph

Villa are also plotting a £7m move for Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia. Daily Star

But Villa will part company with keeper Brad Friedel in January after the club did a U-turn over plans to give him a new contract. Daily Mirror

Tottenham will target Fenerbahce striker Semih Senturk when Robbie Keane leaves in January. IMscouting

Bolton boss Owen Coyle admits he fears Swedish striker Johan Elmander will leave the Reebok Stadium in January if the right club comes in for him. Daily Mirror

Sunderland are considering Gothenburg's Swedish full-back Adam Johansson as they try to solve their defensive worries in January. Daily Mail

Chelsea defender Jeffrey Bruma is interested in a loan move to PSV Eindhoven. Daily Mail

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is making a shock move for Manchester United's Polish keeper Tomasz Kuszczak. Daily Mirror

West Ham manager Avram Grant says he cannot guarantee that striker Carlton Cole will still be at the club after the January transfer window. The Independent

AC Milan have targeted Glasgow Rangers striker Kenny Miller. IMscouting

Inter Milan are planning a move for Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic. talksport

Midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson says he does not want to leave Hoffenheim this winter despite interest from the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal.talksport

Scunthorpe boss Ian ­Baraclough has accused the Football League of ignoring the danger to travelling fans by playing Saturday's live televised game at Millwall despite the bad weather. Daily Mirror

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be played in January because of player safety fears with summer temperatures in the Middle East hitting 50 degrees. Daily Mirror
Last edited by Chinners on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Fish111 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:35 am

Training ground bust-ups happen throughout the land all the time. Doesn't concern me at all but the press will milk it as much as they can as usual in their Anti-City agenda.

Love the Wag.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 am

Real Madrid are sticking their noses in the Alves situation, but it's unlikely they will want to go head to head with City, like in the Kolarov situation.

I think it's highly unlikely that Barca will back down under their new President, trying to reduce the debts. So if Alves doesn't back down they may try and cash in. But those figures are silly for someone his age with only 18 months left on his contract.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:36 am

Fish111 wrote:Training ground bust-ups happen throughout the land all the time. Doesn't concern me at all but the press will milk it as much as they can as usual in their Anti-City agenda.

Love the Wag.

Correct on all counts sir
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby HeyMark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:23 am

AC Milan have targeted Glasgow Rangers striker Kenny Miller.
Full story: IMscouting

Hahahahaha thats got to be the best bit of shit i've read in that bollox
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Updated Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Wooders » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 am

dzeko, pastore and alves in - adebayor, lescott out?

Ok then... :)
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby frozen_pea » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Chinners wrote:
Manchester United legends have poured scorn on the modern-day stars at City - for wearing 'snoods' to keep their necks warm during matches.
Carlos Tevez is one of a number of Blues stars who have been sporting the woolly neck warmer during Premier League games long before the current cold snap.

But while three or four City players often run out with the snood under their club shirt, the neck warmers have been shunned by Manchester United players over at Old Trafford.
And legendary United hardmen have laughed the Eastlands fashion trend out of the park.
Former United star Alex Stepney said: “I never even wore gloves and I was a goalkeeper. Now they're wearing gloves and tights and this thing around their neck. What's the game coming to? To keep ourselves warm we used to cover ourselves in oil.”
Ex-United defender Gary Pallister added: “I only wore a long-sleeve shirt once and that was because I had flu. I'm not a big fan of them. The players wear them when it's not even that cold.”

Earlier this week, former Reds hardman and current Ipswich boss Roy Keane said he could not understand how players could wear the snood.
"Don't get me started", he said: "I don't know how they do it. It's very strange. Gloves, scarves, I think somebody came on a few weeks ago for City who had a hat on.

Keane said the snood would not have been allowed during his 12 years at United, which ended in 1995. "Not at all. They've all gone soft. I think John Barnes wore gloves but to be fair I think that boy could play. That was just gloves. Then it went to tights. Now it's scarves."

United's players have been spared another run-out in the current cold snap as their match at Blackpool has been called off.
Although they have not been banned at United, it is understood players are left in no doubt that boss Sir Alex Ferguson would not be impressed.

A source at United, which does not sell them in the club shop, said: “The players aren't banned from wearing them. They just understand what is expected. After all, the first thing Fergie said to Bebe when he was signed was to get a haircut.”

"I'm old school. It just doesn't look good to be wearing gloves and scarves on a football pitch and it shouldn't be allowed. I remember when the bandanna became popular and then the Alice band and gloves and now this. This kind of accessorising of the basic uniform has gained momentum in football and I don't think it should.
“It just doesn't look good on a football pitch. It emasculates the sport. It makes players appear soft even if they are not.
“The appeal of football in part is its ruggedness. Players don't flinch with a hard tackle so why should they flinch about the weather? It's meant to hurt. It's a physical sport. I admire Rooney a great deal. He's just a sensational player and clearly a hard man but even he is wearing gloves in September.

Anyone remember a few years ago at CoMS?

They look like tights to me!
frozen_pea
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby john@staustell » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 pm

frozen_pea wrote:
Chinners wrote:

United's players have been spared another run-out in the current cold snap as their match at Blackpool has been called off.

Anyone remember a few years ago at CoMS?

They look like tights to me!

The point is, they cant stop talking about us!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby JonnyAsh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks for that, who is the WAG? She is lovely!
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Slim » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:14 pm

JonnyAsh wrote:Thanks for that, who is the WAG? She is lovely!

Giorgia Palmas

You people should really learn to use your computers.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Those things Giggs is wearing are compression tights - they help clear all the crap out of your legs during/after exercise
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby frozen_pea » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Dameerto wrote:Those things Giggs is wearing are compression tights - they help clear all the crap out of your legs during/after exercise

Still tights at the end of the day, doesn't matter if they are because his body isn't up to scratch as an athlete or because it's cold outside. Tights are tights, and that fairy is wearing them.
frozen_pea
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby french_tony » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Worst story ever:

AC Milan still eye battling Mario Balotelli
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER Last updated at 9:20 PM on 4th December 2010

Mario Balotelli remains an AC Milan transfer target despite the latest bust-up in his short and troubled career.
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini stepped in to separate Balotelli from team-mate Jerome Boateng during a training session 24 hours before yesterday's game against Bolton.
But Milan still want the 20-year-old striker back at the San Siro as soon as possible. Milan are short of cash and want a loan deal similar to the one that allowed Zlatan Ibrahimovic to return to Italy from Barcelona.
It would include a clause to buy him at the end of this season when money should be available.
french_tony
De Jong's Tackle

Return to The Maine Football forum