POLL: 2018 F$FA World Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who will host the 2018 World Cup?

Belgium and the Netherlands
3%
England
27%
Portugal and Spain
22%
Russia
49%

Total votes : 79

Re: POLL: 2018 F$FA World Cup

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm

This is bullshit!!! It should have been held at Alan's house!!!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby patrickblue » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 am

Well I'm with the majority, bent lot of bastards.
Did I hear correctly Blatter saying that football came from China and was developed in England and Scotland?
If so did he make it up?

And also I don't believe it had anything to do with the BBC programme, we were never going to get it, and they were going to make sure we didn't
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby halnone » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:30 am

patrickblue wrote:Well I'm with the majority, bent lot of bastards.
Did I hear correctly Blatter saying that football came from China and was developed in England and Scotland?
If so did he make it up?

And also I don't believe it had anything to do with the BBC programme, we were never going to get it, and they were going to make sure we didn't

People say that China invented football in the 2nd or 3rd century. England polished it and made it what it is today. That's what I've heard. Not sure how true it is.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Lev Bronstein » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:47 am

halnone wrote:
If so did he make it up?

People say that China invented football in the 2nd or 3rd century. England polished it and made it what it is today. That's what I've heard. Not sure how true it is.

Practically every culture in the world would have had some form of ball-kicking game. The point is that modern football was codified and developed in the UK (let's not ignore Scotland).

Only getting 2 votes in the first round suggests something a bit more than the odd Panorama put FIFA off. The bid team must have thought that they'd greased enough palms to do better than this.

Still, just think how unbearable the hype would be for the next eight years. And I guess that getting rejected is manna from heaven who think that the English are always victims.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:38 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:
halnone wrote:
If so did he make it up?

Practically every culture in the world would have had some form of ball-kicking game. The point is that modern football was codified and developed in the UK (let's not ignore Scotland).

Only getting 2 votes in the first round suggests something a bit more than the odd Panorama put FIFA off. The bid team must have thought that they'd greased enough palms to do better than this.

Still, just think how unbearable the hype would be for the next eight years. And I guess that getting rejected is manna from heaven who think that the English are always victims.

True, the Mayans had a game where they kicked a ball through a carved circle at either end of a courtyard. They were only allowed to use their knees, violent beatings were legal and the ball was either a dog skull or the opposing captain's skull from the previous game. Predates the Chinese so called 'invention' of the game by about 1300 years.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dick dastardley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I don't think anyone has suggested our people are 100% trustworthy. They come under a lot more scrutiny than most of the wankers on the FIFA gravy train though, so would struggle to be that corrupt & get away with it to the same level. That is the point; some of those fuckers in FIFA & UEFA know they can get away with almost anything, no matter how bent & how obvious, so they do it all the time.

It is a commonly accepted practice that whoever bribes the Olympic Committee the most gets the games.(The stories I heard from the Sydney Olympics were just beyond belief) I see the World Cup being no different.

The whole idea of these £ multi billion organisations, who determine stuff that effect billions of people, being a bunch of self elected, self interested, money grabbing, power crazed tossers who just go swanning around taking bribes, gorging themselves on free wine, cheese, chocolates & God knows what is so ridiculous you literally couldn't make it up.

can i be a fifa official i like the sound of all the freebies etc.....
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Slim wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:
halnone wrote:
If so did he make it up?

True, the Mayans had a game where they kicked a ball through a carved circle at either end of a courtyard. They were only allowed to use their knees, violent beatings were legal and the ball was either a dog skull or the opposing captain's skull from the previous game. Predates the Chinese so called 'invention' of the game by about 1300 years.

Wasn't the half-time motivational trump card that the losing team were all put to death in nasty sacrificial ways?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Slim wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:
halnone wrote:
If so did he make it up?

Wasn't the half-time motivational trump card that the losing team were all put to death in nasty sacrificial ways?

Beats a fucking orange wedge for motivation.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum