Silva wants City to box clever

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Silva wants City to box clever

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:39 pm

David Silva wants City to use their nous when they face Red Bull Salzburg on Wednesday night.

The games in the Europa League have asked very different questions of the Blues from the normal hurly-burly of the Barclays Premier League, but they have come through to be within touching distance of qualification for the knock-out stages.

The canny Spanish international has hit his stride over recent weeks, but his first major impact for City came just a few minutes into the away fixture in Austria two months ago. Assessing the European campaign so far, David says,

“The pace of the game is a lot quicker in the Premier League, European games are more strategic, almost like games of chess. There’s a lot more emphasis on tactics, certainly from the teams we have played against.

“But I think we’re doing OK so far. If it was not for the bad luck we encountered in the last game, we would probably be on top of the group. We’re not far away, and it’s in our hands to do well.

"We’re at home, so it’s down to us to
win the game on our own turf. We’ve
got to be positive, as three points on
Wednesday should see us get out of
the group."

The World Cup winner’s increasingly influential performances saw him named as City’s Etihad Player of the Month for October, but he modestly says that people around him have helped him settle in.

“Everything has been made so much easier by the way I’ve been treated so well by my team mates and everyone here at the club who has given me a helping hand.

“Moving here was tough to start off with, it was difficult physically, the speed of the game was different and I had to adapt to a different lifestyle. The language was a problem, even when playing, but things have gone very well for me since. The weather’s gone a lot colder but I don’t mind it because everything else is going so well for me.”

City’s tie with Leicester in the third round of the FA Cup has also caught David eye, and he adds:

“I can’t wait to play in the FA Cup because it’s such a famous competition around the world. I like the challenge of knock-out football, and with Leicester being at home they will be motivated to spring a surprise on us. Every team wants to beat us, no matter what competition it is, and this will be no different. We have an important few weeks before that but I will be really looking forward to it.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Silva wants City to box clever

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 pm

There we go again, players doing interviews?

I like the Spanish lingo - "We’re at home, so it’s down to us to win the game on our own turf' ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Chinners » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I've no problem with players doing interviews and bigging it up when they have contributed to the cause ... it's just lame ducks like RSC that wind me up without producing anything to take their words seriously. I'm pretty certain he has the most interview minutes verses little actual playing time ratio of any City player ... ever
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 am

Beefymcfc wrote:There we go again, players doing interviews?

I like the Spanish lingo - "We’re at home, so it’s down to us to win the game on our own turf' ;-)

"en nuestro campo" is what I imagine he'll have said. "on our own turf" wouldn't actually be a bad approximation.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 am

Will he play though anyway? Bob will most likely rest him I would have thought.

I thought he was fantastic again at Stoke; bit dodgy in the line outs, as they all were, but held his own in the scrums & broke through the defensive line on several occasions.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:21 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Will he play though anyway? Bob will most likely rest him I would have thought.

I thought he was fantastic again at Stoke; bit dodgy in the line outs, as they all were, but held his own in the scrums & broke through the defensive line on several occasions.

I'm not saying that Silva is my favourite player (he still sits behind Nigel, Carlos and Vinne in my affections) but I absolutely love watching him play, he is magical.

Someone compared him to Kinkladze when he first arrived and the more I see David, the more insulting that comparison is. Even though he is new to the league and wouldn't look out of place in Lilliput his attitude and application is absolutely first class. He works hard to win the ball, to use the ball well and to make himself a decent outlet for the ball at all times. What a signing he has been already and I really do not think we have even seen anything like the best of him yet
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:39 am

ant london wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Will he play though anyway? Bob will most likely rest him I would have thought.

I'm not saying that Silva is my favourite player (he still sits behind Nigel, Carlos and Vinne in my affections) but I absolutely love watching him play, he is magical.

Someone compared him to Kinkladze when he first arrived and the more I see David, the more insulting that comparison is. Even though he is new to the league and wouldn't look out of place in Lilliput his attitude and application is absolutely first class. He works hard to win the ball, to use the ball well and to make himself a decent outlet for the ball at all times. What a signing he has been already and I really do not think we have even seen anything like the best of him yet

Couldn't agree more mate, and said so all along. Silva is a world class player - all the time. Kinkladze was our only glimmer in the very dark ages, disappearing without trace when he left City for Ajax.

I witnessed many great moments from Kinkladze, but also hours of laziness and complete absence from matches.

The rose-tinted specs of the past on this particular subject especially (but also on others), drive you round the bend. It's a similar mentality to 'this team is the worst I've watched in all my years' (IE the past was great) which we have seen on here recently.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mr_nool » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 am

Chinners wrote:I've no problem with players doing interviews and bigging it up when they have contributed to the cause ... it's just lame ducks like RSC that wind me up without producing anything to take their words seriously. I'm pretty certain he has the most interview minutes verses little actual playing time ratio of any City player ... ever

D A N N Y M I L L S
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Chinners » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 am

Hmm, good point, it's a close run thing
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 am

Just a thought on this remark (the speed of the game was different ).
Does anyone in England play the game faster than Barca ??
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

ant london wrote:

Seriously? Nigel who said he wanted to use us to get a bigger club when he joined and Carlos 'I hate football' Tevez? I appreciate their talent and value to the side, but affection? Not a chance.

Vinnie I understand, that guy's awesome.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:Just a thought on this remark (the speed of the game was different ).
Does anyone in England play the game faster than Barca ??

Not on the ball no, but they hunt the ball a lot faster than the teams in Spain who stand & watch Barca & Co knock the ball around.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby edgeley blue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Slim wrote:
ant london wrote:

Seriously? Nigel who said he wanted to use us to get a bigger club when he joined and Carlos 'I hate football' Tevez? I appreciate their talent and value to the side, but affection? Not a chance.

seriously slim, did DeJong really say that? Not saying he didn't but have never come across those quotes.
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:29 pm

edgeley blue wrote:
Slim wrote:
ant london wrote:

seriously slim, did DeJong really say that? Not saying he didn't but have never come across those quotes.

Interview in the airport as he got off the plane.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:34 pm

was that not Gorgeous George who said that Slim?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

ant london wrote:was that not Gorgeous George who said that Slim?

Because two people have never said the same thing? I am sure I saw it on youtube, I'll have a look for it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Slim wrote:

Because two people have never said the same thing? I am sure I saw it on youtube, I'll have a look for it.

Because two people have never said the same thing? did you say?

Well of course they have but genuinely I do not recall Nigel coming out with anything like that and, if he had, I'm sure that (in the period when lots on here didnt rate him) people would have banged on about it more than once before now. Also, as noted above, it really does not seem like the kind of thing De Jong would say...not saying he might not have thought that but he seems more savvy than, say, Gorgeous George
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:33 pm

ant london wrote:
Slim wrote:

Because two people have never said the same thing? did you say?

Well of course they have but genuinely I do not recall Nigel coming out with anything like that and, if he had, I'm sure that (in the period when lots on here didnt rate him) people would have banged on about it more than once before now. Also, as noted above, it really does not seem like the kind of thing De Jong would say...not saying he might not have thought that but he seems more savvy than, say, Gorgeous George

He said something along those lines but I don't think it was a blatant 'using City as a stepping stone' type thing. His subsequent comments weren't of that nature so I think it's a bit unfair to hold it against him.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Yes De Jong did make those comments not very long after signing for us. I was pissed off as hell when I read them. He was receiving a lot of interest from Real Madrid if I remember rightly and I think he wanted to hold out for them to bid in the summer.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Yes De Jong did make those comments not very long after signing for us. I was pissed off as hell when I read them. He was receiving a lot of interest from Real Madrid if I remember rightly and I think he wanted to hold out for them to bid in the summer.

Funny way of holding out, by signing for us. As I remember it was a bit of a throwaway comment when he 1st arrived, which was more about City proving that they were serious in their ambitions than wanting to move on.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum