Silva wants City to box clever

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva wants City to box clever

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Yes De Jong did make those comments not very long after signing for us. I was pissed off as hell when I read them. He was receiving a lot of interest from Real Madrid if I remember rightly and I think he wanted to hold out for them to bid in the summer.

Funny way of holding out, by signing for us. As I remember it was a bit of a throwaway comment when he 1st arrived, which was more about City proving that they were serious in their ambitions than wanting to move on.

Two posts ago you were vague about the details, now you know specifics that mitigate what he said?

I remember it, MRM obviously remembers it. Pissed me off, pissed MRM off. Do you really think we'd have that sort of reaction to someone signing and saying 'City have to prove they are serious in their ambitions'?

Use your fucking head.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Yes De Jong did make those comments not very long after signing for us. I was pissed off as hell when I read them. He was receiving a lot of interest from Real Madrid if I remember rightly and I think he wanted to hold out for them to bid in the summer.

Funny way of holding out, by signing for us. As I remember it was a bit of a throwaway comment when he 1st arrived, which was more about City proving that they were serious in their ambitions than wanting to move on.

Two posts ago you were vague about the details, now you know specifics that mitigate what he said?

I remember it, MRM obviously remembers it. Pissed me off, pissed MRM off. Do you really think we'd have that sort of reaction to someone signing and saying 'City have to prove they are serious in their ambitions'?

Yes.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Does this mean that deJong has to leave?

i was starting to like him.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Does this mean that deJong has to leave?

i was starting to like him.

This is why posting opinions on players always ends up polarized like this. I love the way he plays and he has started to round out his game as well, a very impressive feat for someone who was god awful if asked to do anything with the ball after he won it. I think he is incredibly important to our progress and will be vital if we are to build a team out of the current stock.

But comments like his, like Tevez's and Hart's at the end of last season remind us the reality is these players see this as a job and if a better option comes up, we shouldn't expect any loyalty to our cause from them.

Respect? Yes. Admiration? Absolutely. Affection? Maybe if they are still here in 10 years.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Yes.

Daft bugger.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby patrickblue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Was it this quote
"I feel very good and, for me, it is the next step in my own career after three years in Germany," de Jong said

If so, go here and read the rest

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2 ... ejong.html
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby edgeley blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am

Genuinely had (have) never seen any quotes attributed to DeJong about using City as a stepping stone. Personally think he is our main player, being as he is the guy who holds the team together. Our Didier Deschamps.

Have to definitely agree with Slim though on one thing, there is no affection from any players for any club, so no affection from me for any player. Gone are the days of a Mike Doyle for City, the only players nowadays who do love the club they play for, are a touch over 30.

The future I hope will be littered with silverware and new heroes, hopefully it will include the likes of Hart, Richards, DeJong and Kompany whom will play for us for many years.

Back on topic (kind of) Silva is correct in what he says and I think he is a great little player, next season we will see an Ali Bernabia, only this time aged 24/5 instead of 34/5
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby john68 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 am

Edgeley,
You are aware that Mick Doyle was actually lined up for a transfer to....the rags.
...and George best was thought about as a transfer target for City.

I don't suppose for one moment that Colin Bell saw us as anything other than a step up on his career path. That Frannie Lee saw us as anything other than a way to get playing again after being on strike at Bolton. I know that Mike Summerbee saw us as a pay rise...which he didn't get on the train up from Swindon and I'm quite certain that Tony Book spent his days dreaming about playing for Manchester City, as he laid bricks in Bath.

Why should we demand so much more from our present playing staff, than we demanded from our legends?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:09 am

john68 wrote:Edgeley,
You are aware that Mick Doyle was actually lined up for a transfer to....the rags.
...and George best was thought about as a transfer target for City.

I don't suppose for one moment that Colin Bell saw us as anything other than a step up on his career path. That Frannie Lee saw us as anything other than a way to get playing again after being on strike at Bolton. I know that Mike Summerbee saw us as a pay rise...which he didn't get on the train up from Swindon and I'm quite certain that Tony Book spent his days dreaming about playing for Manchester City, as he laid bricks in Bath.

Why should we demand so much more from our present playing staff, than we demanded from our legends?

Aye. Legends become so over time. I am sure Uwe and the Goat didn't spend their youth wishing they were Graham Baker, and yet their contributions are up there with the real City Greats.

Young Dave is becoming one of my favourite City players. His attitude and ability are exactly what a player needs to be successful.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby edgeley blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:17 pm

I understand what you are saying john about players not supporting the club as youngsters and therefore not dreaming of pulling on the sky blue shirt. 99% of players couldn't care less who they sign for as long as there is a decent wage that comes with it. I have met Mike Doyle on many occasions and he is as blue as they come and did dream of playing for City. The rag thing which although being true wasn't as straight forward as it seems, he had a big bust up with City at the time and threatened to goto the rags just to piss City off and City called his bluff but he just coulnt go through with it in the end. You may know more on this story than myself john and I will bow to your superior knowledge, but like I say Mike Doyle told me that although it nearly happened it was slightly exaggerated in his autobiography.
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum