Mario Balotelli

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mario Balotelli

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:33 am

Didn't get to watch the game yesterday, listened to it on the radio, so was wondering how he got on. From the radio reports he seemed anonimous apart from him being on the floor.

Any views?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Mario Balotelli

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 am

Prett fair comment. He did kicked a few times, but he is a moaning tart none the less.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40 am

He didn't cope incredibly well with the physicality of the match. He fell over a lot...i like his confidence..he had a few nice link up moves and a shot or two which if he'd converted would have been very sweet. He does like to gripe at the ref and fall over a lot which i think is earning him a rep and thusly he isn't getting calls. I believe it's just a transitional thing from the Italian game, where, if you fall over a lot with some slight contact you get the call almost every time whereas it's more likely you WON'T get the call in the Prem unless there's a crunch with some mild to serious clattering...and maybe not the first or second time it happens.

i was also unsure if he was doing what was instructed on the pitch, because he seemed to be playing a different role in different space than Jo did last week vs Fulham. I'd have thought they would have had the same instructions, etc, but what do i know.

If i had to grade his performance it was probably a 5.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 am

Cheers Doomy/PBL. Secondary, the side sounded a little unbalanced compared to the Fulham game, would you say it was due to the inclusion of Mario, possibly Milner, or not having Yaya there? Alternatively, was it the the way Mancio sent us out to play?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 pm

My view on Mario yesterday was he did spend more time than one would like on the floor

But he did get kicked quite a lot and, the one in the first half in particular was a disgraceful piece of non-refereeing.

He did a lot less griping and bitching to the referee than on previous occasions though and kept his head better

In my view he needs to keep on his feet more and get back into those shoves and snidey knocks he is going to ground over as sure as hell he isn't going to get 90% of those decisions in the PL and he is doing himself no favours (with fans (his own and opposition), his teammates, refs and his management) in flopping down when he is pushed, nudged, kicked.

He needs to take a look at just how infrequently you see David Silva goes to ground and learn a lesson. Silva gets just as much roughhousing from the opposition and Mario must have about 5 stone on him. I saw definite signs that he has moved along in terms of learning how to cope in the PL and am hopeful that will continue.

He did not combine as well with Tevez and Silva as Jo had done but I don't think Jo would have coped any better with being kicked all game than Mario did (apart from less bleating maybe). He would certainly have been on the deck just as much.

In pure talent terms, he's got a lot, he just needs to get on the same wavelength as our midfield and especially Carlos/Silva and we will see a lot from him this season I am pretty certain.

I'd give him about a 5.5/10
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby xavi6 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:18 pm

I thought it was the right move to start him but he should've been dragged after an hour as he was horribly ineffective.

Spent more time whinging and rolling around than anything else. Yes he got kicked but he's a big lad and needs to toughen up a bit or he won't last in the league.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:33 pm

I had a feeling before the game he would have a quiet one, yesterday was a huge test of his temperment and he came through it superbly. You saw that they were in his ear the whole game trying to wind him up, he got kicked to fuck and hardly got any decisions from a shite ref.

On the ball he was quiet but he cannot be super mario every game, i have a horrible feeling he will be anylysed every game from city fans instead of just letting him develop, he's still only 20. He's an easy target for dickead pundits, radio and tv commentators and opposition fans, we don't need it from his own fans as if we don't then we will be the ones laughing (this isn't aimed at you beefy btw)

Oh and beefy, i know GMR is probably the only radio station out there that will do full game commentary on us but don't form your opinions by what they say. It's shite coverage.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Some decent answers, thanks. I actually listened to it from the OS, whether that's GMR or not, I don't know, but one thing is for sure is that this thread wasn't set up to berate him in any way, but to find out how he got on. The commentator was very impartial but mentioned Mario's temperament on a few occasions when he either went down or had a whinge at the ref. This is nothing new and we've all seen it, but does it subtract from his overall value on the pitch, ie. was it worth playing him in this game?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Some decent answers, thanks. I actually listened to it from the OS, whether that's GMR or not, I don't know, but one thing is for sure is that this thread wasn't set up to berate him in any way, but to find out how he got on. The commentator was very impartial but mentioned Mario's temperament on a few occasions when he either went down or had a whinge at the ref. This is nothing new and we've all seen it, but does it subtract from his overall value on the pitch, ie. was it worth playing him in this game?

thing is Beefy, a lot of the commentators have clearly taken the view....oh he doesn't like it up him. First half yesterday someone when straight through the back of him, could easily have been a straight red and the commentator (pre replay) came out with "well we know Balotelli doesn't like a challenge", before then actually acknowledging that "this type of tackle is now outlawed, he (the tackler) was lucky to get away with that"

Just part of the very anti-City slant of much of the commentary I've seen this season. I'm not inclined to see it as a City bashing, more underdog supporting. We've benefited from this kind of punditry when we were shit so I guess I can't really grumble but some of it is so myopic it is pretty frustrating
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:37 pm

ant london wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Some decent answers, thanks. I actually listened to it from the OS, whether that's GMR or not, I don't know, but one thing is for sure is that this thread wasn't set up to berate him in any way, but to find out how he got on. The commentator was very impartial but mentioned Mario's temperament on a few occasions when he either went down or had a whinge at the ref. This is nothing new and we've all seen it, but does it subtract from his overall value on the pitch, ie. was it worth playing him in this game?

thing is Beefy, a lot of the commentators have clearly taken the view....oh he doesn't like it up him. First half yesterday someone when straight through the back of him, could easily have been a straight red and the commentator (pre replay) came out with "well we know Balotelli doesn't like a challenge", before then actually acknowledging that "this type of tackle is now outlawed, he (the tackler) was lucky to get away with that"

Just part of the very anti-City slant of much of the commentary I've seen this season. I'm not inclined to see it as a City bashing, more underdog supporting. We've benefited from this kind of punditry when we were shit so I guess I can't really grumble but some of it is so myopic it is pretty frustrating

Cheers mate, I knew he had a few heavy challenges but was unaware of that. It doesn't surprise me either that the ref gave nothing, due to it being Walton and because the commentator actually said that the ref was giving us fuck all (my speak, not his). It does sound though, that as many have stated, that this wasn't the game for him.

I wonder what his stats were for the game as I don't recall him being mentioned apart from the odd time, and from the match thread, here didn't seem to be too much input?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
ant london wrote:

Cheers mate, I knew he had a few heavy challenges but was unaware of that. It doesn't surprise me either that the ref gave nothing, due to it being Walton and because the commentator actually said that the ref was giving us fuck all (my speak, not his). It does sound though, that as many have stated, that this wasn't the game for him.

I wonder what his stats were for the game as I don't recall him being mentioned apart from the odd time, and from the match thread, here didn't seem to be too much input?

20/25 passes (official site) 21/27 (guardian)
0/3 tackes (official site) 2/7 (guardian)
3 shots off target. (both)

depends who you want to beleive, how can you have two completely separate stats for the same game??
the_georgian_genius

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:15 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
ant london wrote:

20/25 passes (official site) 21/27 (guardian)
0/3 tackes (official site) 2/7 (guardian)
3 shots off target. (both)

depends who you want to beleive, how can you have two completely separate stats for the same game??

Just looked on Chalkboard and it says he didn't make a single interception, did he play as an out-and-out striker? If you look at the stats it also says that Carlos only had one shot, which was blocked, leading me to think he was playing a little deeper with Mario the front man.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 pm

I agree that tackle by Hurh which flattened him was close to a red card but not even a foul for the ref. A quiet game but just one alomg the way to him settling down in the team.

Very very surprised Mancini didn't take him off especially after we scored.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I agree that tackle by Hurh which flattened him was close to a red card but not even a foul for the ref. A quiet game but just one alomg the way to him settling down in the team.

Very very surprised Mancini didn't take him off especially after we scored.

Hi Doug. If you don't mind me asking, how would you rate his overall performance and did he bring anything to the team, other than the other strikers could've brought?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Personally I think the way it works with Mario is just to throw him and learn the hard way and he either learns or he doesn't. With Silva, Mancini clearly had no worries about temperament it was just a case of blending him in gradually so that he got his eye in and it has worked a treat. With Mario its a different approach with no real worries about him handling it physically but mentally and what better than Stoke away freezing his nuts off and told to get on with it. Its going to be hit and miss for a while but treating him with kid gloves like Silva would be a waste of time. What Mancini will do is support the lad as he did with the red card against WBA. A second yellow yes with a one match ban would have been right so Mario gets in the neck for that but the straight red/3 match ban was bollocks and Mario rightly got the clubs backing.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:41 pm

BobKowalski wrote:

Personally I think the way it works with Mario is just to throw him and learn the hard way and he either learns or he doesn't. With Silva, Mancini clearly had no worries about temperament it was just a case of blending him in gradually so that he got his eye in and it has worked a treat. With Mario its a different approach with no real worries about him handling it physically but mentally and what better than Stoke away freezing his nuts off and told to get on with it. Its going to be hit and miss for a while but treating him with kid gloves like Silva would be a waste of time. What Mancini will do is support the lad as he did with the red card against WBA. A second yellow yes with a one match ban would have been right so Mario gets in the neck for that but the straight red/3 match ban was bollocks and Mario rightly got the clubs backing.

Hey Bob, I agree with your sentiments but would like to add that i'm getting a bit sick of people moaning about Mario.

Now he's a big lad and doesn't need protection from anyone. However, just because he's big and comes with a price tag it doesn't mean that refs should ignore the fact that he is getting taken out with bad fouls. In the first half Huth took him from behind and that was a far worse tackle than Boyatas Red against ARSEnal.

However I think , once he settles in he will be a revelation, the beautiful chip from David Silva in the first ten minutes was just a litle to high for him to execute the shot better.

As for the god awful referee, perhaps the less said the better. Completely destroyed City's movement and rythm with strange decisions.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 pm

zuricity wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

Hey Bob, I agree with your sentiments but would like to add that i'm getting a bit sick of people moaning about Mario.

Now he's a big lad and doesn't need protection from anyone. However, just because he's big and comes with a price tag it doesn't mean that refs should ignore the fact that he is getting taken out with bad fouls. In the first half Huth took him from behind and that was a far worse tackle than Boyatas Red against ARSEnal.

However I think , once he settles in he will be a revelation, the beautiful chip from David Silva in the first ten minutes was just a litle to high for him to execute the shot better.

As for the god awful referee, perhaps the less said the better. Completely destroyed City's movement and rythm with strange decisions.

Well we're not happy unless we're moaning about something I guess. Its like having a pop at Mancini for not shutting up shop after taking the lead. If he had done and Stoke equalised he would have been slaughtered for not taking the game to Stoke and for sitting back inviting pressure. We are fucking geniuses for hindsight :)

And yes I agree Huth's tackle was a bad one and should have been penalized and over all we got fuck all less 10 from the ref which didn't help. But perversely, and looking at it long term, this was precisely the right game for Mario against a physically hostile team in sub zero conditions and the ref being a wanker as by and large he did keep his head save the odd 'wobble'. He needs to learn fast so it was right to play him and right to keep him out there.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm

The thing about some players coming from different leagues is that they are used to making the most out of tackles that should earn them a free kick in that league. That in itself is an art and part of players performances, particularly strikers, whether we like it or not.

For some, you can't just switch it off. Balo will realise what tackles get you free kicks as time goes on and he'll perfect it I'd imagine. The only problem I have is if he continues to sulk when he gets it wrong.

That is just plain immature and hopefully he loses that side of him.

He reminds of Drogba quite a lot and I know he was a late developer as far as top leagues go, but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if Drogba carried on exactly like him when he was 20.
Original Dub

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Original Dub wrote:The thing about some players coming from different leagues is that they are used to making the most out of tackles that should earn them a free kick in that league. That in itself is an art and part of players performances, particularly strikers, whether we like it or not.

For some, you can't just switch it off. Balo will realise what tackles get you free kicks as time goes on and he'll perfect it I'd imagine. The only problem I have is if he continues to sulk when he gets it wrong.

He reminds of Drogba quite a lot and I know he was a late developer as far as top leagues go, but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if Drogba carried on exactly like him when he was 20.

You only have to look at Silva, first few games especially Spurs away, he was going down too easily expecting a free kick he would of got in Spain, he hardly does it anymore as he knows it's different here.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:
Original Dub wrote:The thing about some players coming from different leagues is that they are used to making the most out of tackles that should earn them a free kick in that league. That in itself is an art and part of players performances, particularly strikers, whether we like it or not.

You only have to look at Silva, first few games especially Spurs away, he was going down too easily expecting a free kick he would of got in Spain, he hardly does it anymore as he knows it's different here.

exactly.

Even Tevez was the same when he started at West Ham. But those two players are far more clever than Balo, so it will take him a lot longer to adapt. The difference is attitude. Like I said, I wouldn't be suprised if Drogba was very similar at his age.
Original Dub

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum