Coaching badges

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Coaching badges

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Went and did my assessment for my junior badge this morning (basically means I can take any level up to under 16's now) and I got to say the one thing that has jaded me about the game here is the tunnel vision.

They have stated the national curriculum is 433, dutch style football and they will not watch any team for kids to make rep sides unless they play this system. They are telling all coaches that if they want to coach in the rep leagues, which I plan to do within the next 3 years we must coach this system only.

They say this is being done towards the goal of winning the world cup in 2022. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're gonna copy a side to try and win a world cup, wouldn't you be better off copying one that has bloody won it?

This comes on the back of one of my strikers making the brisbane elite side last season, yet the other one who scored 5 in the game the scout watched and scored 30+ that season didn't get a look in because he hadn't applied. Now fair enough they don't headhunt, but I asked the scout to have a chat with his mum as she simply has no idea how gifted he is and wants him to play tennis. He barely ever makes games on time as he plays private school games 1st then gets there and still outscored 3 whole teams in my league and the arrogant scout wouldn't even intorduce himself as his line was "we never miss a kid"

He says if they don't want it we don't want them. My reply was all well and good if football in this country had EVER ACHEIVED ANYTHING, but when you're competing with AFL, rugby and cricket and want the game to grow make a bloody effort.

Anyway rant over, just thought I'd open up discussion on coaching anf styles if anyone is interested.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Coaching badges

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Seems like the 'piss up' & 'brewery' addage is fairly apt over there just like here but at least your country has a plan.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Seems like the 'piss up' & 'brewery' addage is fairly apt over there just like here but at least your country has a plan.

Yeah its justa shit one.

I like the 433 idea in theory, but any coach worth his salt knows to pick a team based on players available not to shoehorn them.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Kladze » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Seems like the 'piss up' & 'brewery' addage is fairly apt over there just like here but at least your country has a plan.

Yeah its justa shit one.

I like the 433 idea in theory, but any coach worth his salt knows to pick a team based on players available not to shoehorn them.

I agree with you insofar as picking an individual team goes but, looking at it from your FA's point of view, they want you to pick a team from which they can draw players who will be already well versed in a certain approach.

You're right about the arrogance of not approaching the other lad's mum though - sheer stupidity.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Yeah its justa shit one.

I suppose they would say they're not really interested in your team though, just the development of the individuals in it so it fits in with plans for their team. I can see where they're coming from but if everyone else has developed a revolutionary new version of the sweeper system or something by then, they'll look a right bunch of fucking charlies turning up with 4-3-3! It's a gamble but who knows, it may work?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 pm

That is owrryin that the scout who can unearth these players is an arrogant prick. Doesn't bode well.

Spot on about the shoehorn bit as well. Nice idea in principle but not practical at all.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby xavi6 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Personally I think it's a joke that they're forcing everyone to play the same formation. One of the keys in football is to be able to adapt depending on the opposition you face. Playing 4-3-3 will not always work and if you've no plan B then you're essentially fucked. It's putting all your eggs in one basket.

I'm just moving into management myself, albeit at senior level so I don't think the same rules will apply when I go to do my badges.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm

xavi6 wrote:Personally I think it's a joke that they're forcing everyone to play the same formation. One of the keys in football is to be able to adapt depending on the opposition you face. Playing 4-3-3 will not always work and if you've no plan B then you're essentially fucked. It's putting all your eggs in one basket.

I'm just moving into management myself, albeit at senior level so I don't think the same rules will apply when I go to do my badges.

Tbf there's nothing to say they can't adapt from 4-3-3 later if they use it as a starting point. At least, unlike England, they will have ONE system that they know how to play, rather than being useless at all systems like us.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby stockportblue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Anybody interested in football coaching have a look at Premier Skills website.The firm is based in Wolverhampton.They have a refreshing focus on skill.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Tell a mourinho, taggart or even rafa or mancini that the side they'll face can only play 4-3-3 and they'll take you apart. Same as they would to us, as we can only play 4-4-2, despite none of the England players playing that at club level
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Xavi lets us know how you go pal.

I'm only doing juniors as I started with a group of lads and have gotten two of them into rep sides and wanna see the rest of the batch through as they're a great group of kids and also until I stop playing so I'm not tempted to either coach a lesser side so I can play or be tempted to throw myself on at a level I'm not up to these days.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Dameerto » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:32 pm

You can be imaginative within a 4-3-3 though, there's HUGE scope depending on shape when defending/attacking. I basically HATE static approaches to formation.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby CityGer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Shame. Typical auzzies, though.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby xavi6 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:52 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Xavi lets us know how you go pal.

I'm only doing juniors as I started with a group of lads and have gotten two of them into rep sides and wanna see the rest of the batch through as they're a great group of kids and also until I stop playing so I'm not tempted to either coach a lesser side so I can play or be tempted to throw myself on at a level I'm not up to these days.

Well my season's over before it starts having torn my cruciate so the club asked me would I be interested in taking over the reserve side as the ex-ressies manager is going to the first team. Great opportunity and the club will hopefully pay for me to do my badges so even if I get just get that out of it it'll be worthwhile.

I still plan on playing again though in 2012.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 am

My search begins for attacking fullbacks now though, thats the hard part for kids.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby HeyMark » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Mate all barcas youth teams play 4-3-3, maybe their is some logic behind this one!
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm

HeyMark wrote:Mate all barcas youth teams play 4-3-3, maybe their is some logic behind this one!

I'm not sayng it's completely baseless just that it's not the only way.

My boys lost a trial 8-0 last season after I stubbornly forced them to take preseason training doing just 433.

They were better suited to 442 and when we switched they only lost one game all season.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 pm

No offence Lee I'm sure you're a very good coach.

But I'm not at all with all this mania for FAs insisting on coaching badges. You can either coach and motivate people or you cant, the latter being the most important.

Stuart Pearce had loads of badges I'm sure, but I thought he was piss poor at City.

Bet Brian Clough didn't have any, and I'm pretty sure Taggart has been exempted from such things on the grounds that nobody dares insist to him. He gets in on longevity and experience. (And rightly so, unfortunately).
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 am

Wholeheartedly agree mate. I had zero qualifications and got lads of work of the roar with the youngsters cos of footbLl knowledge and enthusiasm.

Likewise I was the only unqualified Coach in my league last season and the boys won the league.

The bit of paper is merely for job opportunities down the line.
Pretty Boy Lee

Return to The Maine Football forum