City's hapless heading

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City's hapless heading

Postby john@staustell » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 am

From Martin Tyler's column. I asked Doug if we practised attacking corners in training. I think was answer was a 'sort of'.

Come on guys, today's the day.

NOT USING THEIR HEAD
Hi Martin; great column, keep up the good work. I've read that Manchester City are the only Premier League side yet to score a header this season. Just wondering if any team has gone the whole season without scoring a header? Thanks Jonny, Man City fan

MARTIN SAYS: You're absolutely correct Jonny. Surprisingly, none of Man City's 19 Premier League goals this season have come via a header. Their last headed goal was scored by Shaun Wright-Phillips on the last day of last season at West Ham.

In fact, they are the only team yet to score from a header this campaign and their efforts are in stark contrast to their rivals from across the city. Manchester United, who have scored 28 Premier League goals, have recorded nine headed goals so far this campaign.

Premier League headed goals (2010/11):

NINE: Man Utd
EIGHT: Newcastle
SIX: Chelsea
FIVE: Birmingham, Fulham
FOUR: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Stoke, Tottenham, West Brom
THREE: Blackburn, Wolves
TWO: Bolton, Sunderland, West Ham, Wigan
ONE: Blackpool
NONE: Man City

Our friends at Opta have only been keeping data on headed goals since 1999/00, but in that period no Premier League team has finished the season without scoring at least one header. The lowest total is the Middlesbrough side of 2008/09, which managed just one headed goal in the entire campaign - scored by Jeremie Aliadiere against Arsenal.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: City's hapless heading

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 am

Hate to sound like an old record but I've been on about this since Hughes failed to sign a striker in the Jan window 2 years ago during the UEFA run. Unfortunately RSC has never been fit, Ade doesn't get on the end of much (& often misses when he does) our crossing is shit (but improving) & Lescott doesn't play much so corners have gone back to shit.

If we add headers (& crosses/ set pieces creating headers) to our game, we'll finish each season at least 12 points better off imo & I think unless we improve quickly, it will be the main reason for us not winning the league this season. Add Chelsea or rags' extra points won by headed goals to our total at the end & see where we would be.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wooders » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:07 pm

hasn't komps got one off his nut this season?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 pm

The only one who ever attacks the ball is Nedum and we looked more of a threat when he was fit/played.

Regardless of this season, we haven't scored enough from the back for years. Centre halves have either not been dominant in the air or have been ok at flicking things away, but not at proper heading. I've seen corners this season that kolo hasn't gone up for, which is ridiculous for a centre half.

Despite the solidity at the back, I still think we need a big idiot who gets his head to everthing at both ends of the pitch, otherwise we won't score enough and will always be worried by the likes of Stoke.

For the rags, I suspect a lot have come from fletcher, who, like cahill, gets the timing and power right, despite his size. It would be nice for barry or milner to get a few as well.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:The only one who ever attacks the ball is Nedum and we looked more of a threat when he was fit/played.

Regardless of this season, we haven't scored enough from the back for years. Centre halves have either not been dominant in the air or have been ok at flicking things away, but not at proper heading. I've seen corners this season that kolo hasn't gone up for, which is ridiculous for a centre half.

Despite the solidity at the back, I still think we need a big idiot who gets his head to everthing at both ends of the pitch, otherwise we won't score enough and will always be worried by the likes of Stoke.

For the rags, I suspect a lot have come from fletcher, who, like cahill, gets the timing and power right, despite his size. It would be nice for barry or milner to get a few as well.

The rags always pick up headers from all areas of the team because they have a plan B, C, D if the sharp passing one fails. Last few seasons I can remember, Scholes, Fletcher, Berbatov, Vidic, Wio, Evra, OShea, Hernandez, Owen, Rooney many times, just for starters. Giggs & a few others will have done it too. Tevez & Ronaldo scored headers when they were there. It's not an accident it's an advantage they seek.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum