Extended Bans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Extended Bans

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:57 am

Just read the article below about Williamson getting a three match ban. This bit of it I dont get "Despite being found guilty after contesting the charge, Williamson escaped a possible extended ban." I thought the rule was that if you were found guilty then you would automatically get an extended ban for appealing it. Im sure we havent appealed something in the past becuase of this rule, so why is it different in this case?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9215777.stm
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: Extended Bans

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:01 am

Lees Alter Ego wrote:Just read the article below about Williamson getting a three match ban. This bit of it I dont get "Despite being found guilty after contesting the charge, Williamson escaped a possible extended ban." I thought the rule was that if you were found guilty then you would automatically get an extended ban for appealing it. Im sure we havent appealed something in the past becuase of this rule, so why is it different in this case?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9215777.stm

Only if the appeal was "frivolous", eg like Ferdinand last year trying to contest a blatent ban just so he could play in the semi final against us.

If Williamson went and tried to plead a case and wasnt taking the piss, then fair enough, he shouldnt have his ban increased. Haven't seen the incident though, but clearly it was felt there was some merit to his appeal.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby john@staustell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 am

Extended bans have been given for far less frivolous appeals than this one. He had a damn cheek appealing if you ask me and I'm pretty surprised it didn't get extended.

However I suspect there is now some sort of nudge and wink business going on at the FA about whether an appeal may be held as frivolous, thought that after the rush to appeal for Balotelli.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Is it because it was a retrospective ban and not appealing the original decision on the pitch?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum