Jose's Way To Glory

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Jose's Way To Glory

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 pm

If there is a loophole in the rules or a situation that could be taken advantage of, trust Jose to do it. It might look like, feel like and maybe it is cheating but the way I see it, it was just taking advantage of a loophole in the rules and I'm sure others have done it but maybe it was not so obvious as in this case.
I didn't see how they got the first yellows each. Anything dodgy there ?
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Honestly, I can't really see anything being done, as the rules are clear. The simple way to fix this is to erase all yellows after the group stage, but instead UEFA encouraged these shenanigans and Jose made a mockery of the game, but one allowed/encouraged by the rules.

What purpose does it serve to have them carry over?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:If there is a loophole in the rules or a situation that could be taken advantage of, trust Jose to do it. It might look like, feel like and maybe it is cheating but the way I see it, it was just taking advantage of a loophole in the rules and I'm sure others have done it but maybe it was not so obvious as in this case.
I didn't see how they got the first yellows each. Anything dodgy there ?

Pinched the ref's wallet.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby 1950 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Dubaimancityfan wrote:I didn't see how they got the first yellows each. Anything dodgy there ?

Why would there be? They only pulled this stunt, because they got a regular yellow each and didn't want to be stuck with it.
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: د.إ

Postby zuricity » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Just play football against them, beat them fair and square and then laugh in their faces ..... Psychologically that takes the wind out of any cheating bastard team. Play by the rules and win. Always the best motto.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 am

1950 wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:I didn't see how they got the first yellows each. Anything dodgy there ?

Why would there be? They only pulled this stunt, because they got a regular yellow each and didn't want to be stuck with it.

Yeah, I realised that stright after I posted.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby david yearsley » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:05 am

If the rule exists under UEFA it´s clearly in my mind a case of "bringing the game into disrepute" Whether anyone at the aforementioned august body gives a toss about dragging the games good name through the mire is a matter for conjecture because the continentals are responsible entirely, in my view, for the introduction and acceptance of the more cynical aspects of the modern game - to counteract this UEFA come up with "Fair play" as a way of deflecting from this
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

And so it begins.....................

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ue&cc=5739

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano has accused UEFA of singling the club out for punishment after the governing body announced Jose Mourinho and four players have been charged with improper conduct.

UEFA announced the charges following allegations that Real players Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos both deliberately accrued second yellow cards in Tuesday's Champions League game against Ajax, ruling them out of a meaningless game against Auxerre and wiping their slate clean for the knockout stages.

Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek will also have to answer charges after it was alleged they played a role in transmitting a message from coach Mourinho to the two players. Ramos and Alonso both picked up second yellow cards for time-wasting in the final minutes of a 4-0 win at the Amsterdam ArenA.

However, Valdano believes comparable cases have not been treated in a similar manner by UEFA in the past.

"I can't go into details but there have been many players who have done something similar and were not punished," Valdano told Cadena Ser.

"[Lyon midfielder] Juninho was penalised financially. [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic and [Walter] Samuel, when they were at Inter, did something similar. There is no way to rely on the regulations.

"What happens at Real Madrid also happens at other clubs but they [UEFA] are not as severe."
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby saulman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Why don't they just give refs the option of a straight red for time wasting? That would cut this shit out.
At the end of the day, all Mourinho has done is exposed a loophole which needs closing.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:38 pm

saulman wrote:Why don't they just give refs the option of a straight red for time wasting? That would cut this shit out.
At the end of the day, all Mourinho has done is exposed a loophole which needs closing.

Wouldn't that have had the same result. A 1 match ban and all cards clear for next round.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby saulman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:41 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
saulman wrote:Why don't they just give refs the option of a straight red for time wasting? That would cut this shit out.

Wouldn't that have had the same result. A 1 match ban and all cards clear for next round.

Don't you get a three match ban for a straight red?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Yep. A 3 match ban as a one off punishment and a minor rule change to cement it. Job done.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby The Goose » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I actually think the accumulation of yellow cards leading to a suspension is a shit rule in the first place. Fine if you get two in a game and get sent off. But yellow cards in different matches leading to a suspension in a tournament like the CL is a bit of a joke IMO. They should be wiped at the end of the group stages at the very least.

Can't believe the number of people who think it's bringing the game into disrepute or cheating. The kangaroo court looking into this will eventually do fuck all because they know they can't prove it. Mou will smile that enigmatic smile and lead his team to a European and domestic double.
The Goose
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Wooders » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:22 pm

The Goose wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. I actually think the accumulation of yellow cards leading to a suspension is a shit rule in the first place. Fine if you get two in a game and get sent off. But yellow cards in different matches leading to a suspension in a tournament like the CL is a bit of a joke IMO. They should be wiped at the end of the group stages at the very least.

Can't believe the number of people who think it's bringing the game into disrepute or cheating. The kangaroo court looking into this will eventually do fuck all because they know they can't prove it. Mou will smile that enigmatic smile and lead his team to a European and domestic double.

I have to say I agree with what you are saying, especially as they cannot be appealed, a couple of iffy yellows and you could lose a vital player for a game seems barmy to me - especially in a competition where games are limited as you say
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:28 am

It doesn't matter if it was in the rules or not, it's just not football. All should be hit with a one game ban for the first leg of the knockout phase. Then the rules should be change so that yellows in cup competitions and major tournament don't count to any suspension no matter how many you get.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 pm

saulman wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Straight red is 1 game ban. There are some exceptions to this, such as In the Premier League 3 match ban is only if it is violent conduct, but I don't know if that also applies to UEFA competitions.

Automatic 3 match ban in a 6 game group would probably be seen as overly harsh, and it seems UEFA do take each case on its merits.

I agree, it would make them think twice about any fucking about if UEFA did apply that rule. Unfortunately, I reckon UEFA would not want to risk some of the biggest stars being missing for much of the competition, as it would lead to problems with sponsors, and heaven forbid, a big team might not qualify because of it.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm

johnpb78 wrote:And so it begins.....................

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano has accused UEFA of singling the club out for punishment after the governing body announced Jose Mourinho and four players have been charged with improper conduct.

UEFA announced the charges following allegations that Real players Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos both deliberately accrued second yellow cards in Tuesday's Champions League game against Ajax, ruling them out of a meaningless game against Auxerre and wiping their slate clean for the knockout stages.

Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek will also have to answer charges after it was alleged they played a role in transmitting a message from coach Mourinho to the two players. Ramos and Alonso both picked up second yellow cards for time-wasting in the final minutes of a 4-0 win at the Amsterdam ArenA.

However, Valdano believes comparable cases have not been treated in a similar manner by UEFA in the past.

"I can't go into details but there have been many players who have done something similar and were not punished," Valdano told Cadena Ser.

"[Lyon midfielder] Juninho was penalised financially. [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic and [Walter] Samuel, when they were at Inter, did something similar. There is no way to rely on the regulations.

"What happens at Real Madrid also happens at other clubs but they [UEFA] are not as severe."

So, he's basically admitting to doing it.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:And so it begins.....................

So, he's basically admitting to doing it.

Lets just say he didn't deny it, I think they will cop for this one without much of a fight
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby david yearsley » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:29 pm

The Goose wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. I actually think the accumulation of yellow cards leading to a suspension is a shit rule in the first place. Fine if you get two in a game and get sent off. But yellow cards in different matches leading to a suspension in a tournament like the CL is a bit of a joke IMO. They should be wiped at the end of the group stages at the very least.

This is to do with one enigmatic person who thinks he is bigger than the game itself - a man with an ego the size of Africa - not bringing the game into disrepute ?- you´re avin a laugh - I suppose you would tell your kids to behave like that on a football pitch eh?
Madridista by any chance?
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby saulman » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
saulman wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Straight red is 1 game ban. There are some exceptions to this, such as In the Premier League 3 match ban is only if it is violent conduct, but I don't know if that also applies to UEFA competitions.

Automatic 3 match ban in a 6 game group would probably be seen as overly harsh, and it seems UEFA do take each case on its merits.

I agree, it would make them think twice about any fucking about if UEFA did apply that rule. Unfortunately, I reckon UEFA would not want to risk some of the biggest stars being missing for much of the competition, as it would lead to problems with sponsors, and heaven forbid, a big team might not qualify because of it.

If the threat were there, even if it's dealt with a retropective panel of judges, this would stop. No player would risk a 3 match and no manager would instruct their players to risk it either. There's an argument that they'll just get a yellow elsewhere, through a late tackle or something but the risk of violent conduct is also there.

All that said, with the rules as they are.......I don't really see any wrong in this. It's not in the spirit of th game but it is within the rules of the game. It all depends which side you fall down on. It's a bit like that Liverpool goal earlier in the season. Everyone knew the ball was knocked back and left for the keeper, but the goal stood. Within the rules but not the spirit.

If City behaved like that, it would leave a bad taste in the mouth.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum