Big Bad Stoke

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Big Bad Stoke

Postby Trautmann » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:39 pm

I would guess that the City coaching staff have been working on Mario's little problem, including a specific strategy for Stoke. I think he will get the nod for starting the game, with a warning that an early yellow card will result in him getting the hook.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:47 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Yeah I suppose Bob will know best. I don't think even he will give Balotelli endless chances though, well not without signing an alternative. I'd feel a lot happier if we had a backup for Balo & a replacement for Ade in Jan. We shouldn't really be having the conversation of having to play a midfielder on the left of the attack v Stoke because we can't trust any of our forwards to play there.

Why don't we play AJ there instead of Milner, if we don't trust Balotelli just yet to stay calm? Mad idea, I know...

I'd prefer that to Milner too but I think the fact that Jo & Balo are strikers means they just take up positions that our wide players don't.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby zuricity » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Let's be honest, the only reason Stoke are a problem is because of the perceived long throw in danger. Otherwise they are basically dirty and generally boring.

So 1. don't give thow ins away if possible.
2. Knick their towels and soak em in Water.
3. Get Jo or yaya to stand in front of the man throwing the ball
and more importantly

only have one or two defenders in the box allowing Joe to get room to punch the ball
and have our players waiting for the ball being punched outside our box.

That should sort them out.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby ashton287 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:09 pm

zuricity wrote:Let's be honest, the only reason Stoke are a problem is because of the perceived long throw in danger. Otherwise they are basically dirty and generally boring.

and more importantly

only have one or two defenders in the box allowing Joe to get room to punch the ball

Stoke have scored 18 goals this season and i cant remember any of them being from a delap throw in.

There a dangerous team and if they could defend they would be challenging for europa this season.
There not a one trick pony anymore, they are still the strong side that will kick you off the park but they are much better going forward. Pulis made good signings and they could easily beat us if we dont get it right.

Also on a side note there fans put us to shame.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Delap's throws have been found out now. They haven't got a goal from them in ages.

Stoke are just a bunch of long ball merchants. We need to make sure we win as many headers as we can at the back. There will be a lot.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby zuricity » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm

ashton287 wrote:
zuricity wrote:Let's be honest, the only reason Stoke are a problem is because of the perceived long throw in danger. Otherwise they are basically dirty and generally boring.

and more importantly

Stoke have scored 18 goals this season and i cant remember any of them being from a delap throw in.

There a dangerous team and if they could defend they would be challenging for europa this season.
There not a one trick pony anymore, they are still the strong side that will kick you off the park but they are much better going forward. Pulis made good signings and they could easily beat us if we dont get it right.

Also on a side note there fans put us to shame.

I was actually being a bit tongue-in-cheek ! Anyway, we should deffo have the subs knick the towels when they do their warm ups.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Pass the ball as quickly as we did on Sunday and the only ones worrying about red cards will be Stoke.

Not worried about the throw ins, as Hart's bigger than Given and can get on top of their attackers to punch it. Just come out for everything with knees raised and punch as hard as you can. If you miss the ball, you'll knock Fuller's teeth out and still get a free kick for him impeding you. Keepers these days need to take a few lessons off Schmeichel - Bruce was a male model before he joined the rags.

Mario to get 2 this weekend - too much pace for their donkeys.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:02 am

brite blu sky wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Mancini has gathered some seriously tough players about - the only lightweight just about is Silva (not counting SWP as he aint gonna play). The aim I'm sure is to have maximum skill level accompanied by an ability to stand toe to toe with these bully teams and best them physically too. It'll be grand.

Milner to start in place of Jo then ?

Well Jo is obviously the other lightweight. But I have a sneaky feeling he'll play Balotelli, despite the obvious dangers. He scores goals. Milner in for Silva maybe? Silva seems to be putting in a lot of shifts at the moment and we need to make sure we beat Salzburg. Bring Silva on if we need to change the game.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Beeks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 am

Do you reckon he will play exactly the same team/tactics as the Fulham game? (Mad Zabs aside) with Balo taking the place of Jo?

I reckon that team would smash anyone
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Delap's throws have been found out now. They haven't got a goal from them in ages.

Stoke are just a bunch of long ball merchants. We need to make sure we win as many headers as we can at the back. There will be a lot.

Got one the other day against Liverpool so thats not true. Although it was 22 games before that when they last scored from one. That said, its still a threat imo. Might take a stop watch an see how long Delap delays play drying the ball. Its a joke tbh
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beeks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 am

Just been checking out the Oatcake forum...they all seem pretty confident of a result on there
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:33 am

It infuriates me that Mancini persists in bringing every player back for a free kick or corner onr throw in.

Can he not see that when he brings everyone back THE OTEHR TEAM CAN THROW EVERY MAN FORWARD. Also if we do clear the ball it's only gonna come straight back. We should leave Tevez, Silva, Dejong etc, smaller players further up field on the half way line ready for a quick break.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:It infuriates me that Mancini persists in bringing every player back for a free kick or corner onr throw in.

Can he not see that when he brings everyone back THE OTEHR TEAM CAN THROW EVERY MAN FORWARD. Also if we do clear the ball it's only gonna come straight back. We should leave Tevez, Silva, Dejong etc, smaller players further up field on the half way line ready for a quick break.

Hughes tried having 3 midgets there, presumably because he thought they were more use out of the way but we let in goals every week from corners.

I thought we were almost excellent at it v Fulham, in that we were attacking the edge of our box when the ball went loose & then attempting to pass & sprint down the other end like we did with Kolarov. That remindeed me of Arsenal with Henry, they used to break from their own box.

The players went to sleep around that area as Fulham scored but that's their fault imo not Bob's.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm

john@staustell wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Mancini has gathered some seriously tough players about - the only lightweight just about is Silva (not counting SWP as he aint gonna play). The aim I'm sure is to have maximum skill level accompanied by an ability to stand toe to toe with these bully teams and best them physically too. It'll be grand.

Milner to start in place of Jo then ?

Well Jo is obviously the other lightweight. But I have a sneaky feeling he'll play Balotelli, despite the obvious dangers. He scores goals. Milner in for Silva maybe? Silva seems to be putting in a lot of shifts at the moment and we need to make sure we beat Salzburg. Bring Silva on if we need to change the game.

Only one game this week though, so that pretty much frees him up to use anyone without consequence. I'd expect his full strength team.
We have to bear in mind that Bob will be really itching to nail Stoke after last season.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:It infuriates me that Mancini persists in bringing every player back for a free kick or corner onr throw in.

It seems to vary a bit to be honest mate. But when they all come back it's definitely part of the plan to draw in the opposition if you like, so we break like lightning, and Hart is always on the lookout for this. With confidence in our own defence - which must be taken as a yes - the other team would be foolish indeed to throw every man forward.

Quick breaks now are from 25 yards mate, not the half way line - note Kolarov's chance at Fulham. Rare indeed that we just hoof it up now, 19 times out of 20 it's played out (unless Lescott is on the field of course!)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:18 pm

The line up is still in the balance, going by Doug's report.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby steveo_88 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:42 pm

I agree with the guy who stands towards the back of Block 116 in the South Stand, "ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!"
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Delap's throws have been found out now. They haven't got a goal from them in ages.

Probably since we last played them, when they embarrassed us a couple of times. Just didn't get it Mancini did he. Will be interesting to see what he does this time round, because we can then hopefully see what he has learned & taken on board about the English game as a manager in the last 12 months.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Something wierd has happened... best sit down for this one.. Lawro says..

Judging by their results in the first month of the season, Stoke probably thought they were destined for relegation.
However, Tony Pulis has turned the season around. They have had a really great run of results. They are big, strong and cause plenty of problems.

But City are a very, very good side - they are Champions League material. Another win for City.

Prediction: Stoke 1-2 City
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:59 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Something wierd has happened... best sit down for this one.. Lawro says..

Judging by their results in the first month of the season, Stoke probably thought they were destined for relegation.
However, Tony Pulis has turned the season around. They have had a really great run of results. They are big, strong and cause plenty of problems.

But City are a very, very good side - they are Champions League material. Another win for City.

Prediction: Stoke 1-2 City

Actually, Lawro backed us v Fulham didn't he? Could it be possible that he could get two City wins on the trot without jinxing us?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum