Big Bad Stoke

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Big Bad Stoke

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I know it is a bit early.. but fucl it, after Sunday the faith has been restored and a glimpse of things to come no doubt.

However Stoke come with a history for Mancini and like Everton they have to be one of the teams that he is itching to show his hairy arse to. As ever it is a guessing game thinking of who Bob might pick, but as it is away from home at least we can probably assume the set up. Zabba is out, so Micah or Boateng look in. And perhaps the biggest if is going to be whether Mancini puts 'death wish' Balotelli on from the start in place of Jo.

i was worried about this game looming, but now im not, plus i think for whatever his demeanour of calm cool, Mancini will be rabid to get one over them and put a demon to bed.

For reasons of last season this has to be one of our biggest games?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Big Bad Stoke

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Aye, I'd love for us to hand these cunts a proper drubbing. Don't think motivation will be a problem for this one.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beeks » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Stoke Everton and the Spuds...these are the teams I want to beat...who cares about the rags...they are not even our derby these days...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:28 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Stoke Everton and the Spuds...these are the teams I want to beat...who cares about the rags...they are not even our derby these days...

yer right who cares.. and Chelsea just seem to roll over for us these days too!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I kind of hope we benefit from some ridiculous referreeing decsision, just to see the look on Pulis' boat afterwards.
The Man In Blue

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I fear Stoke City away from home, especially after last season.

Despite Kolo and Vinny being very good this season they still have a lot to be desired when defending crosses into the box. Earlier this season we got lucky with many corners and crosses where the attacker mis-headed the ball over or wide. Stoke very rarely miss those opportunities so we must improve. Of course, there is the Delap factor, and City have failed to cope with Delayp's throw-ins more than any other side I believe.

Our full backs will have a tougher time than against Fulham. I regard Matty Etherington as one of the most under-rated players in the league. He gets the ball into the box 8 times out of 10. If we are playing Boateng at right back it will be 10 out of 10 as Boateng does not stop crosses coming into the box at all. Stoke attacking down the left will be our main worry this weekend.

Kolarov will have to deal with the pace of Pennent but to be honest, if on form, he'll eat him up.

De Jong will probably not be as effective in this game as Stoke will hit the ball high and wide to either their wingers or Fuller/Jones and bypass the midfield. Long balls will mean De Jong will have to try and play for the second ball that Jones and Fuller will win. Kolo has often looked weak against the big tall strikers, whereas Vinny seems to deal with them better.

Delap and Whitehead will press Barry and Yaya and not give them time, however as Stoke will probably play 4-4-2 with two wide wingers extra space should develop for Silva who is probably the man who can influence this game the most.

Tevez will be man-marked by both Shawcross and Huth but on form and fully fit with Silva in space to set him up we should see Tevez eating his badge once more!

If Balotelli plays, he'll probably score and be sent off all within the first half ;-)
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Mancini has gathered some seriously tough players about - the only lightweight just about is Silva (not counting SWP as he aint gonna play). The aim I'm sure is to have maximum skill level accompanied by an ability to stand toe to toe with these bully teams and best them physically too. It'll be grand.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

There is no doubt it will be a challenge in the ways you have pointed out MRM. Pennant might be out i think, anyways one thing in our favour this time is we wont be under any illusions and we will be fired up for it of that im sure. It will be interesting to see if we can keep the ball off them as they wont oblige like Fulham did. As for Balotelli i wouldn't be surprised to see him come on for the last 20 only.. and see if he can manage that without getting a red. As he is new to the prem it might be sensible to just keep lengthening the time he is on the pitch slowly to see what his limit is ;)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 pm

john@staustell wrote:Mancini has gathered some seriously tough players about - the only lightweight just about is Silva (not counting SWP as he aint gonna play). The aim I'm sure is to have maximum skill level accompanied by an ability to stand toe to toe with these bully teams and best them physically too. It'll be grand.

Milner to start in place of Jo then ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 pm

I hope Delap dislocates his shoulder.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:15 pm

it would be funny as fucl if we played them at their own game.. if you have noticed Boateng cant half launch the ball as well.
i wonder how good Stoke are at defending delap style throws?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby ashton287 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm

wont be holding my breath for a win.

We might turn up and attack the shit out of them and win 5-2. We might turn up and defend and draw 0-0.

Depends how mancini decides to play this week.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Wooders » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm

thing is not to play them at their own game i.e. ten men behind the ball - the problem is I think mancio is planning to do exactly that
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

I would play Micah rather than Boateng, for the reasons MRM states, then more or less the same team. If he plays Balotelli, obviously Stoke will try to get him sent off. If he plays & does get sent off, we should sell the cunt, so play him & tell him to fucking grow up.

Imo if we play Milner on the wing, there's a strong danger we'll forget how to attack & if we play a tight, defensive game, Stoke will almost certainly score at least one goal from a set piece. As rags & Spurs have shown, if you attack them, they can't defend for shit. Attack & go for the win. If we then lose, so be it, we'll atack Bolton & have the points back then. No fear, we're better footballers & we'd kick the shit out of them in a fight, so why be scared?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I would play Micah rather than Boateng, for the reasons MRM states, then more or less the same team. If he plays Balotelli, obviously Stoke will try to get him sent off. If he plays & does get sent off, we should sell the cunt, so play him & tell him to fucking grow up.

Imo if we play Milner on the wing, there's a strong danger we'll forget how to attack & if we play a tight, defensive game, Stoke will almost certainly score at least one goal from a set piece. As rags & Spurs have shown, if you attack them, they can't defend for shit. Attack & go for the win. If we then lose, so be it, we'll atack Bolton & have the points back then. No fear, we're better footballers & we'd kick the shit out of them in a fight, so why be scared?

Agree completely with this and others saying get stuck into them. I cant see why we wont carry on the away set up we have used and had a Fulham, if the players are sharp enough we should be able to keep a decent amount of possession even against a more committed Stoke. You say Milner might lose some of the attacking intent, but while your point about Jo was valid it was also influenced by Kolorov being there. Not sure Jo wouldn't just get pushed aside.

Balotelli might start instead of Milner... but i hope not as it will be tricky to drag him off again after just 20 mins as he is losing it. Safer to bring him on at the end.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby ayrshireblue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Don't think Stoke have scored from a Delap throw this season. Yet. Also Stoke have won three top tier games in a row for the first time ever. Let's try and not make it four.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:07 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I would play Micah rather than Boateng, for the reasons MRM states, then more or less the same team. If he plays Balotelli, obviously Stoke will try to get him sent off. If he plays & does get sent off, we should sell the cunt, so play him & tell him to fucking grow up.

Agree completely with this and others saying get stuck into them. I cant see why we wont carry on the away set up we have used and had a Fulham, if the players are sharp enough we should be able to keep a decent amount of possession even against a more committed Stoke. You say Milner might lose some of the attacking intent, but while your point about Jo was valid it was also influenced by Kolorov being there. Not sure Jo wouldn't just get pushed aside.

Balotelli might start instead of Milner... but i hope not as it will be tricky to drag him off again after just 20 mins as he is losing it. Safer to bring him on at the end.

True it would be safer but if he's such a wanker & has so little respect for the club, manager & team-mates that he can't avoid having to be taken off, because he refuses to control himself, what use is he to us? I think we should just throw him in & if he shits on us just get rid. If he's uwilling to learn now, directly after serving a 3 match ban, how can we possibly trust him at OT or Anfield or even at home to teams like Everton? Wouldn't it be better to find that out now, even if it costs a point or 3, then we can sign a replacement in Jan?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

True it would be safer but if he's such a wanker & has so little respect for the club, manager & team-mates that he can't avoid having to be taken off, because he refuses to control himself, what use is he to us? I think we should just throw him in & if he shits on us just get rid. If he's uwilling to learn now, directly after serving a 3 match ban, how can we possibly trust him at OT or Anfield or even at home to teams like Everton? Wouldn't it be better to find that out now, even if it costs a point or 3, then we can sign a replacement in Jan?

Well i cant argue with that, it is one way to find out. The only thing is we might be shooting ourselves in the foot if we take that line and he fucles up, whereas giving a bit of time to adjust and control himself might get us a tip top talent in the end. Its Bob's call as he knows him best out of anyone.
Out of comparison though i seem to remember shrek getting sent off a lot for stupid shit in his early years, Balotelli is possibly on a different planet but y'know what im saying.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

Well i cant argue with that, it is one way to find out. The only thing is we might be shooting ourselves in the foot if we take that line and he fucles up, whereas giving a bit of time to adjust and control himself might get us a tip top talent in the end. Its Bob's call as he knows him best out of anyone.
Out of comparison though i seem to remember shrek getting sent off a lot for stupid shit in his early years, Balotelli is possibly on a different planet but y'know what im saying.

Yeah I suppose Bob will know best. I don't think even he will give Balotelli endless chances though, well not without signing an alternative. I'd feel a lot happier if we had a backup for Balo & a replacement for Ade in Jan. We shouldn't really be having the conversation of having to play a midfielder on the left of the attack v Stoke because we can't trust any of our forwards to play there.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Yeah I suppose Bob will know best. I don't think even he will give Balotelli endless chances though, well not without signing an alternative. I'd feel a lot happier if we had a backup for Balo & a replacement for Ade in Jan. We shouldn't really be having the conversation of having to play a midfielder on the left of the attack v Stoke because we can't trust any of our forwards to play there.

Why don't we play AJ there instead of Milner, if we don't trust Balotelli just yet to stay calm? Mad idea, I know...
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum