Training Tuesday 23/11

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Tuesday 23/11

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Quite a few missing today in what was a fairly gentle session as you would expect for the first of a few in a full training week.No Boateng,Micah,Barry,Yaya,Bridge but good to see Michael Johnson involved fully ( must mean no reserve cameo tonight).The group split into two at the start with the Sunday team off to do a bleep test.Not the full challenge but enough no doubt to get readings from.

The rest did a bit of keep ball pass and move and then running under the close eye of Ivan Carminati.After 10 minutes or so they all got together for a 9 a side game on about half a pitch. Notable things were Nigel and Carlos on opposite sides and having a good old tussle. About evens I would say but big smiles on both of them.I would say that Carlos is looking close to fully fit again now and we saw what that can be like again on Sunday.MJ did ok but clearly rusty , Mario strolled through it with occasional flashes.Kolo stayed out of this part just doing 1 to 1 work with Platt and VInnie also sat out after a quick chat with Mancini.

Late on Micah and Bridge came out for some work with a physio.Half of the remaining group went in leaving about 10 for some finishing practice.They all followed about 40 yards apart, first to play a 1 , 2 with Platt before a first time shot, then turning to receive a 20 pass on the edge of the box for a 2 touch finish and then turn again for a cross and a 1 touch finish.You sure as hell need plenty of balls for that routine as shots were flying all over the place.MJ,AJ,SWP,Lescott,Milner,Mario,PV,Boyata,RSC all involved in this session.Then 1 or 2 more went in leaving just enough for a 5 a side game which is where I left.

One of the other notable things today was that Mancini didn't take a team aside to work on team formation stuff which has been a regular part of training sessions almost every day. Maybe that will come again later in the week when he has the group he wants for the Stoke game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Tuesday 23/11

Postby john@staustell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Doug.

Tell me - do they ever work on corners?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks for that DH.
Glad about MJ coming back, can't wait. I have serious faith for his future, if he can recover completely.
Cheers.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm

john@staustell wrote:Thanks Doug.

Tell me - do they ever work on corners?

Yes and no. When Mancini arrived they often did work on the defensive set up to corners as they were switching to the zonal system.Straightforward enough as it basically is about who stands where and that includes the likes of Silva and Tevez ready for the breakwaway.But that work didn't really include much if any time spent on corners actually being fired across and certainly not with any attacking players charging in.

Similarly on attacking corners they have looked at starting positions and the movemenets they can do but again its done without opposition.My guess is on attacking corners more work might be done inside rather than outside.Like Vinnie peeling off round the back to head back across as we saw on Sunday.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ryanmjo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Speaking of corners, I read in the comments section of an article yesterday that we haven't conceded a goal off of a corner under Mancini. That's not really true is it?
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks Doug. A bit off topic like but as the issue of strikers has come up of late and nearing the Jan window, what is your assessment of our home grown options in the EDS etc, if you have seen them recently training. Are any of them remotely near to stepping it up? Nimley is injured? Guidetti?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Thanks Doug. A bit off topic like but as the issue of strikers has come up of late and nearing the Jan window, what is your assessment of our home grown options in the EDS etc, if you have seen them recently training. Are any of them remotely near to stepping it up? Nimley is injured? Guidetti?

Nimley was injured but I think has been back now for a couple of weeks.Guidetti has been playing and I expect will be with the reserves tonight.

Personally I don't think Nimley will make it with City as I just think he is a little lightweight. Good touch and ability but just not good enough. Guidetti I think has a chance but it seems he will have to impress very quickly as he is out of contract at the end of the season and clubs are sniffing round. He also has good touch and ability and for me a better goalscorer but more than anything he has that bit of strength and uses it.Both have trained with the first team but not for a while now.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:Thanks Doug. A bit off topic like but as the issue of strikers has come up of late and nearing the Jan window, what is your assessment of our home grown options in the EDS etc, if you have seen them recently training. Are any of them remotely near to stepping it up? Nimley is injured? Guidetti?

Nimley was injured but I think has been back now for a couple of weeks.Guidetti has been playing and I expect will be with the reserves tonight.

Personally I don't think Nimley will make it with City as I just think he is a little lightweight. Good touch and ability but just not good enough. Guidetti I think has a chance but it seems he will have to impress very quickly as he is out of contract at the end of the season and clubs are sniffing round. He also has good touch and ability and for me a better goalscorer but more than anything he has that bit of strength and uses it.Both have trained with the first team but not for a while now.

Cheers Doug, that fits with what little i have seen of those two. Trouble with young players is you never know if and when they are going fill out. So no-one else on the radar then i take it? ( i mean like to step up, not for instance Harry B. )
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Harry B looks a really good prospect. Quick feet, very direct a decent first touch and sure knows where the goal is. I think it is the same for him though that it will be hard to prove himself as good enough at City so a loan spell would seem essential for us to find out what they are made of.

Benali would be another in that category. I havent seen that much of him but he seems class to me and scores goals from midfield. It's going to be very hard for Mancini with all the international class talent he has (and might still bring in ) to give them a chance just in case it clicks immediately.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby bawbag » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:47 pm

ryanmjo wrote:Speaking of corners, I read in the comments section of an article yesterday that we haven't conceded a goal off of a corner under Mancini. That's not really true is it?

I also heard at the weekend that we are the only team in the Premiership NOT to score with a header so far.

Not surprising when we play Tevez up front on his own I suppose, but what about all our big lads at set pieces?
bawbag
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:51 pm

bawbag wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:Speaking of corners, I read in the comments section of an article yesterday that we haven't conceded a goal off of a corner under Mancini. That's not really true is it?

I also heard at the weekend that we are the only team in the Premiership NOT to score with a header so far.

Not surprising when we play Tevez up front on his own I suppose, but what about all our big lads at set pieces?

We will get one sooner ot later. Maybe mario at the back post although so far in training I don't think I have seen him head the ball once.

Just thought of another notable thing today. No photographers! Well none of the regulars anyway and how predictable after we have such a good win.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Harry B looks a really good prospect. Quick feet, very direct a decent first touch and sure knows where the goal is. I think it is the same for him though that it will be hard to prove himself as good enough at City so a loan spell would seem essential for us to find out what they are made of.

Benali would be another in that category. I havent seen that much of him but he seems class to me and scores goals from midfield. It's going to be very hard for Mancini with all the international class talent he has (and might still bring in ) to give them a chance just in case it clicks immediately.

We seem to have a kind of grey area imo, where in the past, players such as Guidetti, Weiss, Nimely would have got into the squad before they were technically ready, got on for cameo's as a sub & occasionally one would stand out & get games because he went up a level after playing for the 1st 11. Now, because we're a much better squad, we're almost waiting for them to be fully matured before they get a regular squad place & before that happens quite a few may have left the club. The ones who are getting games seem to be mainly midfielders & defenders who are physically strong. We need to sort out that area between the youth team & the 1st team or Sturridge's situation will become the norm & we'll just be left with the ones nobody wants like Etuhu.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Mak's already been moved on hasn't he?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Slim wrote:Mak's already been moved on hasn't he?

Yeah, without even getting a kick at 1st team level.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I think this is going to be the trend at City from now on, for a player to come through from the academy ranks they will have to be very special.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I think this is going to be the trend at City from now on, for a player to come through from the academy ranks they will have to be very special.

Agreed it is likely to have to be someone very special.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Agreed it is likely to have to be someone very special.

And that young lad is......

Surely you have spotted someone who fits the bill.

And WTF is going on with the reserve stream? I keep getting a flickering black screen, horrible to watch.

And who's that number 7 on the left wing, he moves like SWP.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 pm

IE Boyata (I'm not really a fan-boy honestly)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Dameerto wrote:IE Boyata (I'm not really a fan-boy honestly)

Can't really count players who have already moved into the first team squad though. I was hoping there was some amazing kid on the horizon that will make Messi look like Andy Reid.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Slim wrote:
Dameerto wrote:IE Boyata (I'm not really a fan-boy honestly)

Can't really count players who have already moved into the first team squad though. I was hoping there was some amazing kid on the horizon that will make Messi look like Andy Reid.

Fair point, I still look on him as 'little Del Boy'
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum